• Live Rock: Pukani
  • Sand: Fiji Pink

Build Navigation:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 26, 2011

333ff.png

I received my order from Marine Depot & Glass-Holes yesterday.

I still need to purchase/make: sump, sol nano, plumbing, and stand.

I am going to be drilling the aquarium this weekend; it will be my first time...so I hope all goes well.

Here is an email from Aqua Illumination regarding the Sol Nano on April 18:

"The Sol Nano will come with an adjustable mounting arm. At this time we are looking at mid-May to begin shipping. Further details will be released in the coming weeks."

9r0kew.png

Please feel free to leave comments/tips/suggestions :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 29, 2011

I ordered my return kit last Thursday (the 22nd) from Glass-Holes. It supposedly shipped out on Friday, but something weird happened over the week. This is what the USPS site currently says:

• Processed through Sort Facility, April 26, 2011, 11:24 pm, California
  • Processed through Sort Facility, April 24, 2011, 3:16 am, Georgia
  • Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 23, 2011
The weird thing is, I live in Georgia...and It seems like the package should have been here on the 24th. I've talked to Glass-Holes and they are just as confused as I am. The overflow kit I ordered previously got here in 3 days.

It sucks because the return kit is the only thing keeping me from drilling the tank, and I decided not to order the sump or make the stand until the tank is drilled (just in case I break it).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like it's gonna be an awesome build.

Good luck!

thanks, I hope so

Really looking forward to this build. What are your plans as far as stocking? Will you paint the back or no?

Subscribed :D

Thanks! I am planning on having 2 small fish, but I am not sure what (maybe clownfish or a goby). For corals, I am going to primarily focus on LPS and some SPS. Yes, I will be painting the back black after I drill it.

Good call on holding up. I'm loving this tank. I only wish it had another couple inches of depth. Still, the quality and the price really can't be beat.

Sounds like you are on the right track here. Keep the updates and pics coming.

edit: I think I saw you on the Mr. Aqua fbook page just now when I was looking them up, haha.

Good call on holding up. I'm loving this tank. I only wish it had another couple inches of depth. Still, the quality and the price really can't be beat.

Sounds like you are on the right track here. Keep the updates and pics coming.

edit: I think I saw you on the Mr. Aqua fbook page just now when I was looking them up, haha.

The dimensions and silicone work look really nice in person; I was surprised. Yeah, that was me on their facebook haha

-------------------------------------------------------------------

April 30, 2011

Glass-Holes told me they would be contacting USPS to do a search for the return kit. Since I'm still waiting, I decided to try and figure out how the tank's plumbing should go. I have never done this before so please give me any suggestions/criticisms that would prevent me from flooding my apartment. :)

kf318o.png

I can't decide if I should paint the stand black or white (I'm going to be painting all the PVC black).

Glass-Holes just got back to me and said that the return kit was sent back for "Unknown Reasons" and that they were resending it first thing Monday with a free t-shirt. :) Gotta love that customer service.

Awesome setup! love how this thread looks. Very cool design diagrams! :D

thanks, I did it all in power point haha

Wow, very impressed by that being power point also haha. I have seen thousands of power point presentations and that is some impressive ####.

Now get some water in the tank!

Ya, I'm the one on their FB that has asked a couple Qs about their upcoming LED fixture. Not the most sophisticated design, but if its got the right hardware inside, it could be a nice option.

+1 on you having dope PP skills.

I thought that you were using In Design or something.

Nice.

Setup looks great so far.

Wow, very impressed by that being power point also haha. I have seen thousands of power point presentations and that is some impressive ####.

Now get some water in the tank!

Ya, I'm the one on their FB that has asked a couple Qs about their upcoming LED fixture. Not the most sophisticated design, but if its got the right hardware inside, it could be a nice option.

I cannot wait to add water to this thing. The return kit should be here today!

Mr. Aqua's fixture does look decent; I actually like the straightforwardness of their design.

damn you're Power Point GOD
+1 on you having dope PP skills.

I thought that you were using In Design or something.

Nice.

Setup looks great so far.

haha thanks! Sadly, I have had to do power points since elementary school. I really need to start using something new. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2011

Aqua Illumination just changed the picture of the Sol Nano to their new design. I want it so bad! I wish there was a firm release date.

ai_nano.jpg

Nice, I missed the design change. The change can't bode well for the release date though...

I hope they stick to their mid-may release. The light originally had a December 2010 release date, but the date kept getting pushed back (because of this redesign I suppose).

I found out that aqua illuminations told someone yesterday that the light was expected to be released in the next couple of months...so there goes the mid-may release. Since they keep pushing the release of the light back, I was thinking about doing a DIY LED fixture instead of the sol nano.

What do you all think?

I found out that aqua illuminations told someone yesterday that the light was expected to be released in the next couple of months...so there goes the mid-may release. Since they keep pushing the release of the light back, I was thinking about doing a DIY LED fixture instead of the sol nano.

What do you all think?

Do it! You could get away with 12-18 LEDS in a dimmable set-up for about half the price of the Nano... B)

Do it! You could get away with 12-18 LEDS in a dimmable set-up for about half the price of the Nano... B)

So tempting! The only thing holding me back is that if I made it, it wouldn't be pretty.

That new fixture looks good! but damn AI! they stole my design! lol

Built this one a while back

haha They really did! That is an amazing fixture...make me one :)

Great Start! Looking forward to seeing this tank come together!

Thanks, hopefully everything will come together soon.

So tempting! The only thing holding me back is that if I made it, it wouldn't be pretty.

Meh, just pay someone to do up an acrylic fixture for it. :happy: If Sammy isn't taking orders, Glazer has some really nice work and is a nice guy too. Price he quoted me on an acrylic fixture w/ a fan already installed was very very reasonable.

May 8th, 2011

girlhi.png

I just finished my sophomore year of college with a 4.0 :) and now I can focus on my tank!

I finally got the tank drilled yesterday. It was a lot harder than I thought; the first hole took me like 20 minutes lol and the second one took about 10. I don't think that's normal (the glass is only 5.5mm) but who cares, it didn't crack!

Today, I painted the back black and put in the overflow/return. I plan on buying all my plumbing this week and kinda making a mockup of how it will be (I'm ditching the two ball valves after some good advice from seabass). I will hopefully build the stand the next weekend. Oh yeah! I ordered the sump too. I decided to go with the Eshopps RS-75.

Let me know what you all think!

Updates... Post em.

look what came in the mail today :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 11, 2011

I think I have to wait until next weekend to build the stand because my friend is still out of town. What materials should I build it out of and paint it with? I am trying to go for the elos white look.

lmk what you think!

2vci36h.png

Archived