Top Shelf Aquatics

Somkey's 40G Artisan Build

pumarjr

I'm using the return bulkhead I was sent and thats all. All the rest is new, I'm waiting for thursday to recieve my Y fitting from marinedepot to complete the return, I raised the standpipe on the internal durso to eliminate what I thought would be niagra falls and also added a reverse durso in the sump so that the water could be introduced under water without the flushing sounds. I found the stand to be sound, just retarded in the fact that I was not sent any directions on assembly. I'll be using the fixture I was sent with the tank which is the combo light from cadlights, 150W HQI, 2x24" T5HO Actinics and the led moon lights. So, in short, when I get the few fittings needed to complete the. Return I'll be able to clean her out and do a quick fill to test the system for leaks, then I'll dump the tank and sump and add some fresh mixed salt water. I have 50 lbs of Marco rocks and the Motor kit to make the scape and 80lbs of aroginate bahama sand for the substrate. I'll seed the tank with some LR I've had in my other reef setup.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry that I've neglected this thread in a bit. So here's some new pics.

Current FTS

5c6b06bb.jpg

Sump setup with a calcium reactor and phosban reactor.

eb1d30cb.jpg

db0e668d.jpg

A mandarin, Aussie black clown, a seabae clown, and a watchman goby.

Shrimp: skunk, peppermint, porcelain, coral banded and possibly a coral beauty.

2 scarlets, 20 blue legs, 5 turbos.

Corals: a few plates, favias, acans, some frog span and whatever else looks great. Most of my stocking needs are already in my inventory and in my holding tank patiently waiting for the new home to become available.

Also as soon as I can, I'll either be purchasing a maxspect G2 230, or the Eco lamps K2 led fixture. Or I may just build my own. It depends on how much stuff I have going on.

I'm working on something right now. I just happened to have a driver and two led cards containing 10 10k LEDs each, for a total of 20 LEDs. I also had an 8x8" heatsink and a thin piece of polished stainless steel to use as a reflector. Talk about an overkill job for a fugue light. Lol. All I need to do is cut the stainless onto smaller strips, thermal the led cards to the heatsink and wire them up.

be8bc0a0.jpg

I'm wiring up the light now. I'll post some more shots of it on. Soon I'm considering building my own led fixture or I'll be buying one. Not sure yet. Building them is definately fun. Buying a complete ready to go fixture like the ones in my previous post would be much cleaner and prettier.

• 7 months later...

I just took some photos, I'll post them up soon. Looking back just a few months, I've seen awesome growth from some of my corals.

A couple of growth shots. these images are all about 3 months apart. my lighting is still the sunbrite led fixture running 4 led tubes a 14k, 10k, 470nm, 22k.

2.png

3 months later

2_2.png

1_1.png

3 months later

1.png

3 months old FTS

3_3.png

Current FTS

3.png

Archived