ReefCleaners.org

Nemesis Pico 1.5 Gallon DIY - Tankcastrophy - sprung a leaker.

Sunstar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some Colours have washed out. Not sure what is the best setting for light and I do not have a par reader :/

IMG_8369.jpg

FTS June 1 2011

IMG_8371.jpg

See something sexy? One of my sexy shrimp loves my filter. if it's gone missing I find it in there.

IMG_8372.jpg

Pink and blue tips. Amazing!\

IMG_8373.jpg

Sort of purple, near the base I saw some significant green.

IMG_8374.jpg

Zoas, Grape caluptra.

IMG_8375.jpg

Zoas and the Nem.

IMG_8376.jpg

Nem, crab, tiny triangle of montipora plate, kenya tree. other SPS (they both fell off the rocks last night so I swapped them around)

IMG_8377.jpg

Hammer / frogspawn (LPS has not been overly happy)

IMG_8379.jpg

Blue nem.

OH, Edit: For the record, I was hit by a car last week :/

I did not get pics of the internals of the ATO. I have to build another for the 10 gallon since this actually worked charmingly, But I can show it installed. As soon as I get the other one made, I will explain it, tell you the parts you need form Sayal.

IMG_8364.jpg

Interesting peice of What the heck?

What that is is the mounting bracket for the float switch.

IMG_8365.jpg

Blue pill bottles for the win.

But they are so long. So I cut it down, cut the bottom off and filed it to fit, superglued it in. I drilled or bored a hole through the lid of the pill bottle cap.

IMG_8366.jpg

I spray painted it black and test mounted it.

I decided it works better for me the other way around.

IMG_8380.jpg

I have salt creep issues. I will manage them when I get a few moments.

IMG_8381.jpg

Float switch is quite above water.

So unless I have a flood up to the 12th floor of our building it should not be too much of an issue. Salt creep could be problematic. I will watch that. The design of the bracket is so I might remove it when I have photo ops. Because a blue pill bottle looks like hell.

IMG_8382.jpg

Water reservoir.

A friend of mine gave me a hand the day I picked the bottle up. He commented about the 2.5 gallon reservoir on 2 gallon tank. You should see my evaporation. I really needed this because I want visit my mother and I sit there and worry my brains out about the waterlevel dropping. This is why I am doing this for the 10 gallon.

I got the pump from a fountian I had bought at as seen on TV store for 9.99

• 3 weeks later...

lol I got my mums camera, but it seems a little grainy to me. However, I've been messing around with her settings (she will murder me) and think I got it looking OKAY. Now tomorrow is my big day for the offical photos.

IMG_6597.jpg

Now to tweek the dimmer until I get the ideal look thatis captured by this camera, and I think I'll be rocking tomorrow.

IMG_6576.jpg

a previous setting that appears quite grainy. I wojuld like to reproduce this s hot if I can get it looking cleaner.

Builder Anthony

I like them in there too i think they clean the water too.Everyone has there own style though.

Thanks Will. I gave that little glass box my heart and soul. It had a bit of neglect when I was sick with a horrible horrible cold and then when I was hit by a car, it was difficult to do stuff - that was when I dumped my waterchanged water all over the electricals and got myself a bit of a zap. I need to get the GFCI outlettes I want and poke the supers and see if they'll do an install for me.

As much as I want to build a tank of my own (4gallon), I am gonna wait and see, I really fell in love with this tank and I do not wish to disrupt it now that it is finally gaining stability. Maybe in a few months.

Edit: Stupid birdsnest coral was being "hugged to death" by the carpet nem. it did not like the proximity to the nem, so I moved it. Stupid thing keeps falling off the glass. I might have solved this problem for now. I took a rare earth magnet, encased it in putty, glued the frag to that then took another rare earth magnet and put it to the other side of the glass. It's being held up well and now with the option to move it if necessary.

Thanks Will. I gave that little glass box my heart and soul.

Honestly, it really really shows. I know you'll win one of the prize spots, so hold off on your 4G project for a bit longer hah.

Unfortunately towards the end of the contest I had some things come up and had to neglect my own during some critical periods, even going away for a week and leaving it on it's own. Post contest, I hope to make the pico bullet proof with some big changes.

Great looking tank.

If you ever find your long green algae starting to get out of control, send me a PM. I would love to buy some off of you.

Well if you would like to make some arrangements and if you want to trim some of it, let me know. I would like to buy some of it off of you.. PM me if you would like and we can make arrangements. I can pay you via paypal.

• 3 years later...

Been years since I poked this thread.

Anyway, I had a lot come up and somehwere about two years ago I had equipment failure and the tank crashed

Due to college and being away for the last two years, the tank was left dry. I have recenly started it up as Nemesis Nano II. I mean, very recently - as in yesterday night. Currently it has live rock from my 10 gallon that has also suffered from a crash not long after the nano (due to heat)

But never the less, I put all the rock, aside of the one in the nano tank, into the 10 gallon to keep it perculating with microbal goodness. Fireworms still exist - I take that as a reasonably good sign.

HA HA! I got my Auto Top off fixed, So now I can get t he tank functioning once again.

I got it back together in the original box, now located on my desk because the fans were too loud for me at n ight

http://s96.photobucket.com/user/Sunstar_of_Cybertron/media/Aquaria/Nemesis%20Nano/IMG_20150118_170810.jpg.html'>th_IMG_20150118_170810.jpghttp://s96.photobucket.com/user/Sunstar_of_Cybertron/media/Aquaria/Nemesis%20Nano/IMG_20150118_173653.jpg.html'>th_IMG_20150118_173653.jpg

I have obtained 3 frags of zoa and a small Kenya Tree. the zoas for the most part are moody. One is OMG lets open nao in the bag when I looked at it while having coffee at the mall on thursday - very enthusiastic. I have a nother with this firey orange skirt that Kinda-wants to open but not really... sort of me when I have to get up for work. And the Purple Hornets are mostly, I want to get up, but... I'll go back to bed. I want to get up - but I will get back to bed. And the others that are on teh frag of happy cheerful mornign Zoas are the entire opposite. they get sort of perky and standy up like at night - they don't open, then they sort of go meh in the morning and stay closed. Sort of like me on my day off. The Kenya Tree on teh other hand was YEP! I like it.

So far, so weird.

Okay... I probably pissed everything off in a very severe manner.

Within a week, the Bryopsis which had lain dormant on the rocks, sparked to life. By dormant I mean I didn't have an issue with it for 2.5 years while the rock was in the 10 gallon. Yeah, denying that stuff light doesn't matter. I had the poorest light going on in teh 10 that I am surprised to see it leap back to life with a vengence.

I peroxide dipped therocks in about 50/50 I scraped the tank out with a home made scraper, sucked as much out, changed the filter carbon, there is probably a lot of residual hydrogen peroxide swimming around. I expect pissed off zoas. One of my hermits got dunked in the 50/50 but seems no worse for the wear. The water change was about 90%. I took out all equipment I could take out and either dipped it or swabbed it in pure peroxide. HAD I known that the Bryopsis was still on teh rocks, I would have done something like this sooner.

I have replaced the carbon, fresh tonight, I will be paying close attention until I go to work tomorrow evening.

I was in the local reef shop today mentioning that the purple hornets are not doing to well. They are basically toast, I will wait until later to get more. I explained how I saw an ammonia spike, and htat I did a 75% water change and I explained a few other things and they nodded, saying I am operating "text book". They also really seemed ot like the show pics of the tank and called it a "bonsai"

Anyway, I have obtained some macro algae to put into the refugium filters. I just cannot put it in until I finish bombarding the two tanks with peroxide.

peroxide is cool for bryopsis along with an emerald crab (optional). I remember xenia was about the only coral that died back from peroxide treatments in the aquarium. most of the others should care as long as treated SW is replaced with fresh SW.

Basically its what I have done. So far the zoas that like to be open have opened in the dark. I am being heavy handed iwth it in the 10 gallon but there is not much living in there at the moment, so I want to attempt to neutralise the chance of bryopsis before I even consider things in it. I read about the Xenia being unhappy with the process. I resuced a few fireworms. they are in the glass jar with the macro.

I went at the rock with a toothbrush too.

I want rockflowers @.@. I keep drooling over picos and nano builds.....

As soon as I can get a hub or something, I want to get a webcam on the tank (when there is something worth looking at.)

The rock flower explosion has been awesome.. so many cool options out there now! Sucks to hear about the bryopsis, such a PITA. I'm following a similar path as you (returning after a while) and I'm going all dry/dead rock this time around. Can't wait to see what you do with this one!

Archived