Innovative Marine Aquariums

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon, seagrass nano v2.0

Welcome to my seagrass nano. I tried one a few years ago; but unfortunately, the seagrass didn't make it. I hope that I've learned a few things from my past mistakes; and I invite you to follow along (sharing your comments and questions), as I try again.

contest_final_large.jpg

Specifications

Display Tank: Mr. Aqua 17.4 Gallon Frameless Glass Aquarium (24 x 12 x 14.4")
Sump Tank: Aqueon 10 Gallon Leader Aquarium (20 x 10 x 12") w/ two 8" glass baffles
Light Fixture: Sunlight Supply Tek Light T-5 HO Fixture (24", 4x24W)
Bulbs: ATI Aquablue Special, UVL Super Actinic 420NM, ATI Blue Plus, ATI Aquablue Special
Live Rock: MarcoRocks Signature Fiji Dry Rock
Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax sand (6" deep mixture of new sand, mature sand, and Fiji Mudβ„’)
Filtration: Bubble Magus BM-NAC3+ protein skimmer
Circulation: Ecotech Marine VorTech MP10 (set to reef crest mode)
Auto Top-Off System: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Controller: Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper 2
Heater: 300W Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heating Tube
CO2 Supply: CO2 tank w/ Tunze Dual-gauge regulator 7077/3 regulator

Parameters

PAR: β˜€β˜€β˜€
Temperature: β˜€β˜€β˜€
pH: β˜€β˜€β˜€
Specific Gravity: β˜€β˜€β˜€
Nitrate: β˜€β˜€β˜€
Phosphate: β˜€β˜€β˜€

Maintenance

Daily Monitoring temperature and pH
Periodic Testing: specific gravity, nitrate, and phosphate
Feeding: β˜€β˜€β˜€
Dosing: CO2

Awards

3rd.gif

Seagrass

contest_seagrass_a.jpgcontest_seagrass_b.jpg

Coral

contest_coral_a.jpgcontest_coral_b.jpgcontest_coral_c.jpg

Fish

contest_fish_a_med.jpgcontest_fish_b.jpg

Full Tank Shots

contest_entry_small.jpgcontest_july_small.jpgcontest_october_small.jpg
contest_december_small.jpgcontest_january11_small.jpgcontest_final_small.jpg

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: The tank arrives tomorrow. I thought that it would be here today, so I wrote up an intro.
animalmaster6

Wow Seabass. Incredible!!!

Β 

Are you sure you are having exactly 2 types of seagrass, 3 corals, and two fish? :P

Thanks!

Β 

Are you sure you are having exactly 2 types of seagrass, 3 corals, and two fish? :P
That was the plan. I'm thinking Star Grass and Oar Grass. I'm not sure about the coral yet, but I know that I want one or two Orange Lined Cardinalfish (Apogon cyanosoma).
Thanks!

Β 

That was the plan. I'm thinking Star Grass and Oar Grass. I'm not sure about the coral yet, but I know that I want one or two Orange Lined Cardinalfish (Apogon cyanosoma).

This is relevant to my interests - I have been considering a 40B with that grass/cardinal combo for a little while now. Hope you don't mind being my Guinea pig! :)

I don't mind at all jeremai. I hope that we both learn a little about what works well. I've been wanting to try seagrass again for awhile now, and this contest is a good excuse to do it. I'm thinking that my odds are better this time (with a better substrate, plus real lights and flow).

yeah, I gave it a whirl too back in the day - I remember ordering grass from sarah lardizabal through seanursery.com. :lol:

Β 

there's some new products and knowledge availbale now we didn't have then, so here's hoping. I would love to coat the bottom of a 40B with Halophila. fingerscrossed

Deleted User 6
This is relevant to my interests - I have been considering a 40B with that grass/cardinal combo for a little while now. Hope you don't mind being my Guinea pig! :)

Β 

wat? :mellow:

Β 

also, imma use seagrass too i think. interested in learning from you, o wise one.

also, imma use seagrass too i think. interested in learning from you, o wise one.
The more the merrier. :) I'm certainly no expert on seagrass, so I hope that we all learn a little. This is kind of a test tank. If it works, I might move it to a 100 gallon (future home for my female Watanabe Angelfish).

This is probably the nicest TJ I've seen on any forum. Congratulations for outdoing everyone else before you've even commenced.

This is probably the nicest TJ I've seen on any forum. Congratulations for outdoing everyone else before you've even commenced.
I'm thinking that my tank won't be nearly as flashy as some of the others, but thanks so much!

Wow. I'm not sure which is prettier, that empty tank or your first post. Both very impressive!

Β 

There are some heavy hitters in this contest. I hope it pans out better than last winter's 10 gallon contest.

Β 

Can't wait to see seabass' seagrass. Good luck!

andrewguilfoy

this is going to be awesome. hands down, I can't wait to follow this

Β 

nice tank choice!!!!! :D

Archived