Top Shelf Aquatics

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Man...I'm about to move to Canada. Those are some amazing scores.

If you do let me know we can trade corals.

Awesome Aj, I got a Oregon Tort today by happenstance, looks like a good day all around for coral shopping :)

Awesome. I stopped by your thread to see it. Looks sweet.

All these frags have settled down and are showing good PE this morning. My skimmer is still going nuts from the reef epoxy though...

• Like 1

Ok so frags have settled in and colour is showing better. Here are a handful of shots of the new ones and some other ones colouring up. The Tierra is still very brown, but I assume it will colour up very nicely as the colony it came from was beautiful.

DSC02300.jpg

Reef Raft Pretty in Pink

DSC02295.jpg

Reef Raft Wolverine

DSC02285.jpg

Reef Raft Kraken

DSC02306.jpg

Reef Raft Orange Passion

DSC02323.jpg

Reef Raft Tierra del Fuego

DSC02290.jpg

Tyree Pink Lemonade

DSC02296.jpg

Wicked Sunrise

DSC02320.jpg

Reef Raft Pearlberry

DSC02288.jpg

Oregon Tortuosa

• Like 10
Reefmaster1996

So jelly, I promised my self I wouldn't start buying frags until I got my led fixture done, you make it so tempting to order a bunch of wysiwyg frags. Love that Oregon tort

• Like 1
So jelly, I promised my self I wouldn't start buying frags until I got my led fixture done, you make it so tempting to order a bunch of wysiwyg frags. Love that Oregon tort

Yea the first 3 months or so with no corals was tough however the patience was worth it. (Knock on wood) At the moment everything is doing soo well I don't have any concerns spending quite a bit on coral and putting it in as everything is growing like crazy.

I got a bunch of cheap frags from fellow reefers for first month to sort of "test the waters." But been adding nothing but high end stuff since.

Sooner or later I gotta get a frag tank setup. Thinking about either another 24" ati fixture or a nanobox led for the frag tank.

• Like 1

Hi AJ, absolutely beautiful! Your attention to detail is unreal! I read earlier (but can't remember where) your routine of cleaning old liverock before adding it to your sump to aid in the filtration and because you were certain that not enough would be in the display to cover your bioload. I want to do something similar, do you mind summarizing what you did? I remember you rinsed in RO/DI and checked phosphates, how long more or less did this take?

Thanks in adavnce

• Like 1

Hi AJ, absolutely beautiful! Your attention to detail is unreal! I read earlier (but can't remember where) your routine of cleaning old liverock before adding it to your sump to aid in the filtration and because you were certain that not enough would be in the display to cover your bioload. I want to do something similar, do you mind summarizing what you did? I remember you rinsed in RO/DI and checked phosphates, how long more or less did this take?

Thanks in adavnce

Thanks for following along and the compliments.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/225402-aj-tsins-zeo-47g-shallow-new-reef-raft-haul/?p=4629114

This should help, let me know if you need more info.

Made a post on my local club forum looking for an overflow or drilled 20-40g tank. Putting the wheels in motion for a frag tank. Even if its empty or I don't have a light yet, I'd rather get the extra water volume plumbed in sooner than later.

• Like 1

Made a post on my local club forum looking for an overflow or drilled 20-40g tank. Putting the wheels in motion for a frag tank. Even if its empty or I don't have a light yet, I'd rather get the extra water volume plumbed in sooner than later.

So you are going to plumb it to your existing system and just increase stones amount etc.?

• Like 1

Aj,

Better answer as to why you should soak new stones for 3 or 4 days in RODI water prior to adding them to the reactor. Seems the stones contain some silicate so soaking helps remove that. You can change the water during that time once or twice. Not soaking soaking the stones generally you end up with some brown powder like algae in the tank, which will dissipate over time but still not desirable.

• Like 1

So you are going to plumb it to your existing system and just increase stones amount etc.?

Thats the plan. I am going to just add a second return pump in my sump, probably a maxi jet and have a second overflow pouring in beside the existing line. I am hoping for a 15 g long or a 20 g long as to add some extra volume but not soo much that it drastically increases my WC amounts and extra additives.

Aj,

Better answer as to why you should soak new stones for 3 or 4 days in RODI water prior to adding them to the reactor. Seems the stones contain some silicate so soaking helps remove that. You can change the water during that time once or twice. Not soaking soaking the stones generally you end up with some brown powder like algae in the tank, which will dissipate over time but still not desirable.

Thanks for the info. Last exchange I soaked for about 30hrs, this time I will do a few days and 1 WC.

• Like 2

Newly added freshly cut frags are already encrusting...

I was a bit worried about spending a lot of money on freshly cut high end sps with no guarantee, but I have been very happy with how revive dips are helping new corals make the transition so seamlessly.

That is one hell of an acro collection you got going on!
Jay has some seriously nice stuff; not cheap either.

Looking forward to seeing all of those grow out for you.

• Like 1

That is one hell of an acro collection you got going on!

Jay has some seriously nice stuff; not cheap either.

Looking forward to seeing all of those grow out for you.

Thanks I actually got quite a good deal from Jay however I had been texting back and forth for a few weeks identifying exactly what I wanted before I went.

• Like 1

Thanks I actually got quite a good deal from Jay however I had been texting back and forth for a few weeks identifying exactly what I wanted before I went.

Well, when you're ready to start fragging in the future, feel free to pass those savings down! ;)

• Like 3

Well, when you're ready to start fragging in the future, feel free to pass those savings down! ;)

Absolutely. As long as you are in Canada.

I certainly am ;)

Sweet I will post here when/if frags are ready.

Nice, glad to here they are settling in.

They are. Everything looking good. Orange passion is an amazing coral.

Swapped out 80% of the Zeolite today in the reactor. I think I will be changing to a swap at 6 week intervals, instead of 8 as I have noticed a slight darkening of corals over the past two weeks (weeks 7 and 8) of the stones.

I used the soaking process as Nanotopia explained earlier. Soaked the ZeoLite in RO/DI for 36 hours with two 100% water changes in between before emptying 80% of the reactor and adding the new stones. This makes sure all of the Silicate and any other waste is leeched out before adding and is recommended by K-Z

• Like 2

Things are getting a bit more reeflike lately...

DSC02347.jpg

DSC02300.jpg

Reef Raft Pretty in Pink

DSC02295.jpg

Reef Raft Wolverine

I just shat myself! :o Incredible tank!

• Like 1