Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Coloring up... I took a handful of photos of same frags 3 or 4 weeks later. Here are comparisons. These results are definitely a combination of Zeovit, the ATI T5s and weekly water changes. Pretty impressive for less than a month. Change in growth is hard to tell but you can definitely see it at the base.

AFTER 3 WEEK COMPARISONS

DSC015052.jpg

DSC014822.jpg

DSC014902.jpg

AFTER 4 WEEK COMPARISONS

DSC014802.jpg

DSC014672.jpg

• Like 8

Aj you liking that skimmer? I'm not too impressed with my pls100. I may swap to a 130 to match my vertex zeo reactor.

Its amazing for the price. I am sure there are better ones out there, but the build quality and skimming is fantastic. It took a while to break in but once it did it has pulling out tons of crap daily.

wish i could see this thing in person. hope your door is open when i go to that way :D

Absolutely, just bring me some frags...

• Like 1

Kinda tough to get the scope of any layout in this box from the straight on FTS(s). Here are a few angles from the sides. This is how I generally look at the tank as its beside a couch in TV room.

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01568.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

• Like 10

Things are settling in nicely and all of the frags are showing growth daily.

This week the dosage of ZeoStart3 was reduced from 0.25 ml x2 daily to 0.20ml x2 daily. Slightly brown film with a bit of bubbling on the rocks was appearing during the photo period typical of a ZeoStart Overdose, nothing major but notable. I will see how things change with the reduced dose over the next week or two.

Dosing of Pohl's Xtra at 0.5 ml daily will begin this week and changes will be monitored in coral colour and glass film etc. with the dosage being adjusted accordingly. If all goes well weekly dosage of Coral Vitalizer will also be started in 1 or two weeks.

A few new additions today...

I threw in two Zoa Frags another Ricordia, a piece of Reef Raft Avengers Acro, and a Golden Tahitian Maxima Clam.

Pictures to follow, just did a water change and substrate vacuum so things are a bit cloudy right now. Excited to have a clam again. Its tiny and looks amazing.

• Like 2

Think I might have a clam this time

Awesome. I took about 1:30 to acclimatize it today. Floated the bag and slowly swapped the water out with a turkey baster.

It seems to be very happy already and settling in. It ads a ton of colour to this sparse frag garden.

Here are a handful of shots from this evening some are of new frags others are about a month old...

DSC01758.jpg

Tyree Pink Lemonade

DSC01757.jpg

Golden Tahitian Maxima Clam

DSC01716.jpg

Yellow Micro Zoanthids

DSC01776.jpg

Reef Raft Strawberry Shortcake

DSC01798.jpg

Big Show Toxic Sarmentosa

DSC01800.jpg

Neon Green Acropora Aculeus

DSC01772.jpg

Teal Acropora Carolina

DSC01792.jpg

Yellow Millepora

• Like 9
TheKleinReef

corals are looking awesome already!

i know you run an 8bulb t5 fixture, but i've been asking around for a good 6 bulb(6x39w) combination. i was wondering if you could give any input?

right now i run 4 blue+ 1 coral+ 1 purple+.

i've gotten these recommendations as well:

3 blue+ 3 coral+

3 blue+ 2 coral+ 1 purple+

• Like 1

one of the best shallow i've ever seen. and one of my inspiration too.

the tank is great, and the way you documented it fabulous.

Thankyou very much this means a lot. I am glad to have it back on its way to something special.

Loving the clam nice choice

Thanks dude. I like it a lot. I was a bit worried my Tang might bother it, because, as predicted it is a bit aggressive and sometimes tries to take nips at my snails and hermit crabs, but it has not even looked at the clam. Hopefully this sticks.

corals are looking awesome already!

i know you run an 8bulb t5 fixture, but i've been asking around for a good 6 bulb(6x39w) combination. i was wondering if you could give any input?

right now i run 4 blue+ 1 coral+ 1 purple+.

i've gotten these recommendations as well:

3 blue+ 3 coral+

3 blue+ 2 coral+ 1 purple+

After adding the Coral + I am on the fence here a bit. If I were you I would stick with what you are running unless you want a very white or red look.

If it were me I would either run 5 Blue + and 1 Coral + or what you have 4 B+, 1 P+, and 1 C+

I think 2 or 3 Coral + would be far too white.

Take a pic of the avengers please. :)

And that milli looks awesome

Here are a few more. The Avengers is kind of a crappy angle and has yet to colour up. This was about 4 minutes after adding it. You can see some hints of "Avenging" on the tips. For those naysayers of ZeoVit, quote me. I will post a photo of this same frag in 3-4 week and we will see what it looks like.

DSC01730.jpg

Reef Raft Avengers

DSC01787.jpg

Unnamed Plana?

DSC01785.jpg

Miyagi Tort

DSC01778.jpg

Not sure I think this is called "Blizzard"

DSC01773.jpg

Another angle of the Red Planet colouring up and growing.

DSC01717.jpg

Teal and Pink Zoas.

DSC01668.jpg

Side angle of the Clam.

• Like 3

Avengers, dang! Loving this tank btw.

Is this a plana? I've never seen a yellow plana before.

DSC01787.jpg

I am not sure if it is a plana, been trying to get an ID. I looks like a similar polyp structure to some plana mainly the rounded chalices, but I am not really a pro at IDing SPS.

Thanks for the love.

That milli and clam...

This morning the Yellow Mille polyp extention was insane. Like 1/2 inch long polyps sticking out on the tips in the morning ambient light.

• Like 1

Tried to layout a few more "progress type shots" This is all in the past month give or take a few days, some have only been in the system for a couple weeks... Other than the obvious colour changes I am noticing significant thickening up with a ton of polyp growth mid coral rather than just at the tips... I assume the extremely bright ATI fixture is allowing the corals to grow outward instead of upward which will likely make for some great mini colonies..

7.jpeg

6.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

• Like 9

Clam has settled in and the Purple Tang has shown absolutely no interest in eating it which is good news. Again I know this isn't common but my tang is constantly trying to pick off hermit crabs and snails when they are out and about. It doesn't get them because they close up too quick however, I thought it might go after the clam mantle as a result of his interest in inverts. Not the case so far.

Not much else has changed. I am still chasing down a few more frags. Some Digitata, another Monti Plate, an Oregon Tort, a RR Wolverine, Purple Dragon, and Wicked Sunrise. I found someone who has most of this for me, but I have to wait until I have time to go to his place...

After I get these last few stony frags I plan on holding off on adding any SPS for a few months while things grow out and fill in on the top.

In terms of husbandry, I am lowering my ZeoStart Dose from the label recommended 0.4 ml a day, to 0.3 ml a day to attempt to fine tune the carbon dosing and eliminate some brown film and bubbling on rocks and glass late in the photo period.

I will also be trying to feed several times a day in very very small doses instead of once. I think this will have a huge impact on livestock behaviour and nutrient stability. On the reef fish and corals are opportunistic and constantly looking for things to eat, so I would rather give them a similar habitat at home with frequent small feedings. I think these small nutrient spikes throughout the day will be far more balanced for a nano as well instead of once a day. Do not confuse this with adding more food!! I do not plan on increasing amounts of food to be added just dispersing the type and times a bit more to make everything a bit more natural, as if the food is just occurring or floating by, instead of dumping a bunch of pellets at 5:30 each day for a few minutes.

Will be plumbing in a 20g or 30g long frag tank in the basement and adding an APEX controller to replace the RKL at some point in the coming months.

Once I have this all set up I hope to be able to sell some frags here and there. I have already accumulated some pretty high end pieces so hopefully I can finance a bit of the hobby with the frag tank.

• Like 2

Looking great, but more importantly I really appreciate all the documentation on your experiences, feeding, growth over time pics, etc. Very helpful!

• Like 2