ReefCleaners.org

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

I had 5 chromis in my 55. At first it was great, they shoaled a bit and swam around a lot. Then the bullying started and they all hid of most of the day. They get quite large after a while, too.

Heard many stories like this, exactly what I'm worried about.

Amazing thanks!

I need to go back and read your whole thread. I will do that right after dinner with the inlaws tonight. Who built your tank? I am wanting a 30x30x12 for my next tank!

I actually just read through it again the other day. Its a long one but no too bad. The tank was built by Miracles Aquariums in Toronto.

Beautiful tank, I love a nice shallow slice of reef! And those acros don't hurt either :)

Thanks.

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but still running zeovit? How do you like it? It shows "REBUILDING", how old is the system? Looking great nonetheless!

Yes I am running the full ZeoVit method. Its going pretty well. I officially re-filled the tank mid December. So its just over 3 months old. Thanks.

• Like 1

Tried making a GIF of the system. The dynamic range on the Sony Point and Shoot is not amazing for video so the colour is a bit washed out. I tried to get it as close as I could to the still images I have been posting.

MarchFTScompressed2.gif

• Like 7

How is your overflow drilled? Herbie drains etc?

Overflow is drilled with 3 holes at the bottom of the tank. Middle hole running a Stockman drainpipe for the overflow to the basement, and the two smaller come from a Y split in the return line to dual Lockline returns.

Also who made the stand.

Stand was made custom by the couple I bought the glass from. I modified it a bit as they had some bamboo/grass theme going on that I wasn't fond of.

Close-up of Purple Tang chillin.

DSC01432b.jpg

• Like 4

Yes I am running the full ZeoVit method. Its going pretty well. I officially re-filled the tank mid December. So its just over 3 months old. Thanks.

Awesome! Still running the zeo reactor 3 hours on/off?

Awesome! Still running the zeo reactor 3 hours on/off?

No I have it running full time now.

500 ml K-Z ZeoLite in Vertex Reactor running 60 g/h change 90% every 10 weeks

Nice nice. I still don't know when to start running full time.

Did you start scratch or are you converting an older system to ZeoVit?

Okay sweet. Thanks for that info man. I'm not going to be using RODI but either distilled or "ultra violet" purified water from Walmart. I guess what I'll do is measure out a cup or so of water,drop 1 drop of whichever bottle I want to dose first and make a mark for 1/2 a cup and start that way an see how things do.

So I'm not thread jackin' here,what's the plan for the system now ? Changing anything up or what ?

No worries I don't mind. Let me know how it goes, curious to see. Definitely not worried about thread jacking glad to help, ideally this thread is helpful and not just a bunch of pictures...

Not sure what I am changing or not. I plan on adding a basement frag tank and plumbing it into the system and may eventually make a bigger sump. For now I am happy just working with a standard ZeoVit system but focus on only adding really nice frags etc. I tore the old build down a few months after I started running ZeoVit so I have never really had the chance to run a System for a couple years with a fresh start at ULNS from the start.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

I'm setting up a frag tank too, later this summer though, I may make it zeovit and do Sps only, or just nice Sps and a decent skimmer, and dosing. Might not be worth it in a frag tank with a low to nonexistent bioload especially since it will be plumbed separate from my display, what are your thoughts?

Also cost is involved, as I want this to actually make some cash on the side, mainly from buying and fragging colonies, but growing some Sps too.

• Like 1

I'm setting up a frag tank too, later this summer though, I may make it zeovit and do Sps only, or just nice Sps and a decent skimmer, and dosing. Might not be worth it in a frag tank with a low to nonexistent bioload especially since it will be plumbed separate from my display, what are your thoughts?

Also cost is involved, as I want this to actually make some cash on the side, mainly from buying and fragging colonies, but growing some Sps too.

Yea Zeo might be a waste for just a frag tank, biggest thing is ATO in small frag tanks, especially with SPS.

Are you able to plumb it into your sump somehow? Run some flex pipe through the walls or over the floor to another spot in the room? I am just going to get a small tank drill an overflow and run it with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump or something. Out of the sump and pouring back in, simple and will keep the same stability of everything else while actually just adding to overall water volume.

• Like 1

You ever miss you MH AJ? I run T5's and I am sure missing it. I just ordered a MH T5 combo light I miss the shimmer.

Nah. I'm ok with never using MH again. They are hot, annoying, changing bulbs is finicky, they cost a lot... too many cons.

I would consider a T5 - LED combo but I am ok with the ATI for now. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Any of you listen to the Reef Threads podcast?

I have been listening to the episodes for past few weeks and find them fairly interesting. I am working backwards from the most recent. Any other podcasts or video series' out there?

Also speaking of reef keeping companions, I am still continually using the Aquarimate app on my phone. I find it almost perfect. I have been working with the developers via email to come up with some sort of dosing tab to help people who run Zeo or VSV, but all and all I have basically taken all aspects of tracking and to-dos and added it to this app. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

Any of you listen to the Reef Threads podcast?

I have been listening to the episodes for past few weeks and find them fairly interesting. I am working backwards from the most recent. Any other podcasts or video series' out there?

Also speaking of reef keeping companions, I am still continually using the Aquarimate app on my phone. I find it almost perfect. I have been working with the developers via email to come up with some sort of dosing tab to help people who run Zeo or VSV, but all and all I have basically taken all aspects of tracking and to-dos and added it to this app. Highly recommended.

Good links, thanks. I gravitated to this one picture a bit down the Reef Threads page. Planted aquarium meets reef.

kelwu.jpeg

• Like 3

Good links, thanks. I gravitated to this one picture a bit down the Reef Threads page. Planted aquarium meets reef.

Yea I saw that. Looks really cool for a stylized build.

I thought I would post some photos of the Vertex Zeo Reactor Mod I made. This prevents the little Zeolite stones from falling through the holes on the reactor.

It only takes a few minutes to do:

• A bunch small of zip ties
  • Cross stich mesh from a craft shop

I did it once with only 4 zip ties and the mesh moved around too much when shaking the reactor letting small stones through so recently I added a bunch.

Works like a charm and no more rocks falling into the reactor.

#1 Thread the ties through the mesh with the coupler on the bottom of the reactor.
IMG_0620.jpg

#2 Add Ties around the outer rim and middle rim.

IMG_0619.jpg

#3. Pull ties tight with pliers or by hand and clip them.

IMG_0627b.jpg

#4 Admire and refill with Zeolite or Biomedia.

IMG_0625.jpg

• Like 3

Tried making a GIF of the system. The dynamic range on the Sony Point and Shoot is not amazing for video so the colour is a bit washed out. I tried to get it as close as I could to the still images I have been posting.

MarchFTScompressed2.gif

Nice! I actually think the haze is really cool.

Nice! I actually think the haze is really cool.

Thanks. I eventually will shoot something with a better camera from work, just have this one kicking around at home so its easy.

Reefmaster1996

Yea Zeo might be a waste for just a frag tank, biggest thing is ATO in small frag tanks, especially with SPS.

Are you able to plumb it into your sump somehow? Run some flex pipe through the walls or over the floor to another spot in the room? I am just going to get a small tank drill an overflow and run it with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump or something. Out of the sump and pouring back in, simple and will keep the same stability of everything else while actually just adding to overall water volume.

Yeah I wish I could plumb it in, but I'm putting the frag tank in my bedroom, completely across the house, yet on the same floor, it's going to be a separate system. No zeo, just a skimmer, dosers, and reactor for carbon, and a yellow tang, and a corris wrasse

Almost forgot, and some sps

• Like 1

Yeah I wish I could plumb it in, but I'm putting the frag tank in my bedroom, completely across the house, yet on the same floor, it's going to be a separate system. No zeo, just a skimmer, dosers, and reactor for carbon, and a yellow tang, and a corris wrasse

Almost forgot, and some sps

I have always considered adding a second tank somewhere in my house and having some crazy 35 foot plumbing or something but I don't think it would fly. I just don't want to do maintenance on two separate reefs. I will add a frag tank in the basement and then go from there. Not sure what kind of fish I would add there.

• Like 1

Dat early morning Polyp extension... Sun ambience glows through my blinds this time of year in the morning, its not bright enough to be problematic, but nice enough to add some silhouetting and show off some SPS P.E. Taken with an iPhone 5S

IMG_0637.jpg

• Like 7