Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Good luck with the restart and with the zeovit method. The setup looks really nice so far.

Thanks. I am pretty happy with the scape. It's hard to tell with a straight on picture how much depth there is.

Thanks. I am pretty happy with the scape. It's hard to tell with a straight on picture how much depth there is.

The picture looks off, is there some kind of filter or lighting scheme you used?

With the scape and tank, looks to me like a repeat of your last tank, which should be nice, GL.

The picture looks off, is there some kind of filter or lighting scheme you used?

With the scape and tank, looks to me like a repeat of your last tank, which should be nice, GL.

Yea I have been taking shots with my iPhone and the sensor does not like the colour temperature of my ATI colour combo. I tried just raising the temp in iPhoto and thats the best I could get for now. I have a range of much better cameras to shoot the tank with but haven't felt the need to bust them out until I really get things rolling.

Tank is exact same as last time, however the scape has a lot less rock and a bit more depth. Hard to tell until I start shooting it in a couple ways. Probably do another video sometime this year. Thanks for checking it out.

So one of my Scarlet Hermits gave me a reason to bust out the ol' Sony "Fish Tank Camera" as it climbed almost to the top of the tank.

DSC01155.jpg

One of the reasons I love this hobby: watching livestock do ridiculous things.

• Like 4

So I am just wrapping up a bit of a bacterial bloom which was pretty frustrating but nothing too difficult to cope with. In starting the ZeoVit or any carbon dosing regime on a new system it can be a bit tricky to get the amounts right and just following a guide isn't always the case.

In this instance I believe adding too much Organic Carbon, ZeoStart 3 and a couple drops of ZeoFood in one day kickstarted a bacterial bloom in the system.

I detected it by the obvious semi milky water. Generally speaking this isn't a huge deal but combine a diatom bloom that is just about finished however still consuming O2 on the sandbed and the rapid reproduction of Heterotrophic bacteria from the bloom, oxygen depletion can be a big concern. My clowns seemed to be having a bit of trouble breathing and were going up for air every once in a while. I double checked Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels which are all not detectable so identified the bloom as the problem and not water quality.

Solution: I stopped dosing ZeoBak and ZeoStart, (I continued Sponge Power daily for first few days, but have a feeling this may have also been feeding the Bacteria) I quickly added an airstone in the sump and display to combat the problem, skimmed wet and waited it out. I also dosed 1-2 ml of Coral Snow every other day to help skim out the excess bacteria and clear the water column. Some people recommend a water change but based on experience there is not much one can really do but keep the water circulating and keep an eye on levels. (Unless of course the bloom is a result of a high nutrient load then get on a water change ASAP. If you aren't carbon dosing and get a bloom then water quality is likely the problem.)

This bloom lasted about 4-5 days and seems to be subsiding finally now. Clowns are doing great and are no longer having any breathing trouble. In the past two days I have resumed ZeoBac dosing, however I plan on still waiting a couple days to try adding ZeoStart in a very small amount to see if anything reacts.

Hope this helps other people and just goes to show that even if you have a lot of experience and take things very slow if you are adding ANYTHING to your tank it has an effect, and unless you are ready to test or deal with that effect be careful.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

Have similar setup that I setup this past Sunday and since then I have been dosing the reccomended doses for zeofood zeobak and zeostart and so far had a small bloom on day 1-2 but since then water has been crystal clear, maybe it was the sponge power.

Have similar setup that I setup this past Sunday and since then I have been dosing the reccomended doses for zeofood zeobak and zeostart and so far had a small bloom on day 1-2 but since then water has been crystal clear, maybe it was the sponge power.

Did you do the 14 day cycle or just use the guide for a new tank?

As I wait for the diatoms to die out (can still see a soft dusting on the rocks) here are a few other angles to see whats going on with the aquascaping. I am going to try and use the same low contrast filter for all of the photos posted from here on out for consistency and to try and maintain a very accurate colour palate.

Front:

DSC01168.jpg

Right Side:

DSC01170.jpg

Right Angle:

DSC01165.jpg

Left Angle:

DSC01166.jpg

• Like 4

I think that scape is way to go with a proper three sided aquarium/display.

Otherwise, it wouldn't work as well. (IMO)

GL

Yea it makes a big difference, I have a couch to the right of the tank so often I am sitting there looking through the side pane of glass. Once I start adding some SPS and other various corals I think it will really fill out the negative space and allow me some room to play with the asymmetry. For once I am starting with rock work that is low enough in the tank to allow for significant SPS growth at the crest which is tough in a shallow tank with only about 10 inches of useable water depth.

I would expect some good SPS growth after 6 months with those lights, that flow, zeovit, filtration, etc. Let it mature.

Whether or not you decide to publicize them, you will also face speed bumps. Some acro types may just decide to bleach on you. Some algae may decide decide it loves your tank. You get the deal. Just remember they're all just speed bump, nothing more.

I have some reservations about the 500w Titanium Heater. Care to defend the reasoning?

I would expect some good SPS growth after 6 months with those lights, that flow, zeovit, filtration, etc. Let it mature.

Whether or not you decide to publicize them, you will also face speed bumps. Some acro types may just decide to bleach on you. Some algae may decide decide it loves your tank. You get the deal. Just remember they're all just speed bump, nothing more.

I have some reservations about the 500w Titanium Heater. Care to defend the reasoning?

Yes my last build had some ridiculously fast growth, we will see how it goes as its been a long time since i started a reef however this time around its a lot easier as I knew the plan going in.

The 500 watt heater is a result of my sump being in an unfinished concrete cellar in my house. I have the benefit of having an entire room for equipment, sump and all the other things that come with a "fish room" The display is drilled through my floor with the sump downstairs.

However the downside to this is that its bloody cold down there especially in the winter and the 500w heater allows me to keep things stable in the cold winter months. I really should have two of them as a backup but with it running with the Reefkeeper Lite as the controller I have never had an issue and I have absolutely precise temperature... the basement plumbing becomes even more handy in summer months as I don't need a chiller to maintain a steady temperature.

Care to explain your reservations on it? I'm curious.

Care to explain your reservations on it? I'm curious.

I have heard mix reviews.

I would always recommend 2x 250w (like you mentioned somewhat) rather than one 500w.

On my tank I have one 100w heater in the false back set at 77 degrees F

The second is in the last chamber of my sump and is 150w set at 77.5 degrees F

Both connected to the RKL

I have heard they can melt acrylic and (to me) it seems scary that most do not have an indicator light.

Then again, I was not aware of your situation and it very well may be necessary to have gone that route.

Reefmaster1996

No actually I didn't know about the 14 day cycle? How's it work? I've been doing the new tank regiment, which is just slightly dosing more than usual.

No actually I didn't know about the 14 day cycle? How's it work? I've been doing the new tank regiment, which is just slightly dosing more than usual.

This is taken from the K-Z site. Hope it helps. This is what I did and it seemed to work well Ammonia peaked and disappeared within a few days of starting up.

Day 0:

Install an appropriate sea water tank, install the sump, install necessary PVC tubing and make sure to give the glue enough time to dry !

Day 1:

1. Water

Fill the system with reverse osmosis water, if possible use the RO unit with a filter resin as last stage. Warm up the water to 20-25° C and install current pumps at the same time.

2. Current

We recommend a smooth and broad flow, about 20-30 times of the tank’s volume per hour. Also well approved is the combination with Osci-Motion – they create a very natural shifting streaming due to the pivoting pumps.

3. Sea salt

As soon as the water temperature is around 25 °C add salt slowly into the current and adopt the salinity around 34 %o. Live rock can be added as soon as the salt has dissolved completely and the water is clear.

4. Live rock

It is very important to use fresh and clear live rock, approx. 10 % of the tank’s contents. Always available in our online shop or in our store in Coburg. Rock work can easily and stable be fixed with Speedglue without harming the water quality in any way.

After you bring in the live rock in the tank, the sand bed is next. At this time the skimmer is started as well as the ZEOvit® filter and the tank needs light now!

5. Sand bed

Now you can add a shallow sand bed. Use crushed Coral Sand or Aragonite from Korallenzucht. Do not use Live Sand in combination with the ZEOvit® system.

Coral Sand Very clean coral sand from the best coral regions in a optimal size of 2-4 mm. Soak in reverse osmosis water for 3-4 days before use and replace osmosis water daily.

Or you can take Aragonite:

High quality sand without phosphates for sand bed. This can be used immediately without soaking for a few days.

6. Start the ZEOvit® filter and skimmer Use 1 liter ZEOvit® for each 400 l of water tank volume. Do not exceed flow rate through the filter of 400 l per hour maximum. Start your protein skimmer.

7. Lighting and other technical equipment

Start the lighting min. 10 hours per day. Start also all other technical equipment now.

8. Dosage

The addition of ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power can be started now.

ZEObak: 5 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons

ZEOstart: 10 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons

Sponge Power: 3 ml per 100 liters/25 gallons

Day 2 and Day 3:

Dosing break.

Day 4:

Dose ZEObak, ZEOstart and Sponge Power as recommended on the products label.

Day 4-10:

Different algae phases can appear, like some brown slime algae followed by some healthy green algae. Use the same dosage like described for day 4 above. Double check Salinity.

Day 10:

First herbivore fish (max. 2 per 200 L) can be added, also sea urchins and turbo snails. You should also be able to add the first not to sensitive corals like branching Montipora. Add now the Activated Carbon.

Activated Carbon

As soon as the first animals are stocked into the system, add the Activated Carbon: 0.5 – 1 Liter per 1000 liters as recommended. Replacement interval 30 days.

Day 11-14

Keep dosage as described for day 4. Test Carbonate Hardness and Salinity carefully. More corals can now be added into the system. Additional fish can be added but should be done very slow. Also fish feeding has to be done very carefully in this phase as biology is not very stabile in this phase. Do not add more fish than 1-2 fish per 250 liters per week.

After additional 4 weeks you can add the rest of the fish which where planed for the system.

With this method we have started many tanks very successfully without any problems. Take care of the above directions.

Diatoms are pretty much gone, I am always amazed how fast they come and how quickly they disappear. Still doing some debating on what the next fish will be. I think I am going to go with a Tomini Tang before I start adding coral.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I have done everything right except the large dose which I did yesterday. So I'm looking at about 10-12 more days of cycle aside from the 5 days I wasted dosing on the new tank regiment . Maybe less considering my ammonia was already dropping prior to starting this cycle

• Like 1

Yeah I have done everything right except the large dose which I did yesterday. So I'm looking at about 10-12 more days of cycle aside from the 5 days I wasted dosing on the new tank regiment . Maybe less considering my ammonia was already dropping prior to starting this cycle

Awesome news, yea I guess only way to tell is testing for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Glad we are kind of on a similar timeline.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

Ammonia is down to .10 or less ppm. Nitrite 0 and nitrates seem to be creeping up, diatoms and cyano are popping up so I decided it was time to add a hardy fish, in goes my ywg and pistol shrimp. And they should do fine. I would consider the cyle over by mid next week.

Good news, hope they do well. I didn't have any cyano (knock on wood) only a relatively small diatom bloom that was gone almost as fast as it came. Still dealing with an ever so slight bacterial bloom however the water has cleared significantly and the fish are super happy.

• Like 1

The thought of starting over is both nerve racking and exciting. I'd love to do things a second time and fix the mistakes I made during the first build. Good luck as things progress.

Reefmaster1996
Good news, hope they do well. I didn't have any cyano (knock on wood) only a relatively small diatom bloom that was gone almost as fast as it came. Still dealing with an ever so slight bacterial bloom however the water has cleared significantly and the fish are super happy.

Yeah same it started slowly and is already reciding.