ReefCleaners.org

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Mine did come with that extra fan. I just did the transformer upgrade since I have them laying around. what are your temps at? I am guessing you have the upgraded hood fans as well, I think all of their newer models came with them preinstalled.

Every other day is quite a schedule for the filter floss! I try and use it every now and then, it messes with my water levels and I have to readust my ATO to compensate, per the reason I don't run it often

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea..it gets kinda brown after only a couple of days. I just put a small amount in there to catch and particles.so its really pretty easy. The temps run from the mid 79's at night up to around 80.8 at the end of the day. I only keep the air at about 76 and it getting to the 80's outside here in florida already :) As a test one night I flipped open the lid that gives access to the sump and let a small fan blow across it. With the heater off the temps dropped to 76.5 degrees!! I wont do that again because it will freak out the in habitants, but point is if I could rig some sort of setup that wasnt to intrusive and just ran it during the week while im at work it would probably help.

wow, there is possibly your solution for a chiller. You could cut a hole in that cover and mount a fan! My temps in the summer run 81-82 by the end of the day, that is with the AC controling the room to about 72 ish.

Yea I was shocked it went down so low! I will have to come up with something before the summer :)

please post pics on your thread if you do! Lots here would love it

Will do. I think my first attempt may just be to rig up a large PC fan and place it where the section is for the chiller hoses but facing downwards, the less intrusive the better as I dont want to ruin the clean look of the hood.

That would be my first spot of choice. I have plumming routed in there from my auto top off, something you may want to invest in down the road. I will never run a tank without one!

Alright so I tried out this mod to the skimmer:

skimmer.jpg

It was fairly straingt foward, yet I cleaned out my skimmer since it was pretty junky inside so there will be a short break in period before I can gauge performance. Right now I am getting exacly the same amount of foam, nothing reaching the neck in the collection cup.

Pics:

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

New Corals : Thanks Awesome Aquatics!

Birdsnest:

IMG_3129.jpg

Purple Acro:

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

Nice looking birds nest!! I will be interested to see if the skimmer mod helps. I still need to drill the holes in mine. Why exactly does that help?

I think it helps direct the air bubbles closer to the top. So they don't have to travel up the entire chamber. It will become more apparent as time passes if it does anything.

Drill the holes in the top? Make sure you stick that air hose in one. the sucking noise is so loud without doing that, it helps out so much.

yea drilling the holes in the lid is what I meant. Wondering why that helps. As far as the sucking sound goes, if I jam it in by where the power strip is its not too loud. But I will try and put it in there.

Jamming it there may work as well, but when i jammed it in a hole it sealed aroudn the hose and didn't allow any sound from "leaking"

There usually is a hole in other skimmer cups. It helps with air pressure inside the skimmer.

I had a hole in my remora skimmer

Jamming it there may work as well, but when i jammed it in a hole it sealed aroudn the hose and didn't allow any sound from "leaking"

There usually is a hole in other skimmer cups. It helps with air pressure inside the skimmer.

I had a hole in my remora skimmer

There is actually a very small pinsized hole in my lid right on th edge near the "handle" of the lid. I didnt notice it in yours. Perhaps another red sea max improvement?

Why not? I like having an extra pump that is not tied into the filtration system. this way I can feed phyto etc and let it dispurse around in the display without getting lost in the filtration.

How many months did you wait until you added SPS?

I had some in my old tank that I purchased a few weeks before I got this tank. So I cycled for about 3 weeks and added everything into this tank. So..... 3 weeks, but I used established water from my old tank and old rock.

Alright.... my first real mod to this tank in a long time. I love projects!!! I will update on performance when there is any, skimmer still nees to break in. So far so good, I am pleased with the looks, the noise is much better.

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg