Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'seneye reef'.
Found 2 results
I’ve had quite a few saltwater tanks up to a 90 gallon with sump, lots of coral, auto water change system, apex, etc. The 90 gave me a on of problems with cyano, aiptasia outbreaks and the like. My cat also had a fun habit of chewing through RODI tubing and flooding my basement. Eventually he managed to spray RODI water on the electronics of the RODI which messed up the auto flushing system so I had to manually bypass that. It was mounted on the wall but that didn’t stop him. Finally, less than a year after a full tank reboot I had a massive cyano outbreak I couldn’t beat. Lost everything and shut down the tank. Haven’t sold anything that still works because I know I’ll start it up again or upgrade so it’s sitting there waiting to be dealt with. Started getting the bug again about a month ago but not wanting to deal with the 90 I started thinking about nanos. My first tank was an Aquino Evolve 8 and one of my favorites was a little 1.5 or 2.5 gallon tank. I’ve had a 5 gallon tank I was using for a betta sitting next to my bed empty for a while now so I thought why not. The tank is a little Current USA Solo 5 Gallon aquarium. It’s rimless and pretty nice. Threw in some dry rock, black sand from a friend, an aqua knight light I had laying around, cheap heater, and leftover in tank style filter then started cycling. I was using filtered seawater from Petco and distilled Walmart water to start out. I’ll figure out the RODI situation eventually but with a little tank it’s not as big of a deal. After a couple weeks I grabbed two zoa frags to test the waters. Got some slides for a Seneye reef I had laying around and hid it behind the rock. I also got a little power head to throw in the back and replace the filter for flow. Finally, I set up a Smart ATO Micro to keep things a little more stable, another tank leftover. Things were still doing pretty good at this point. Zoas were open and a little algae growing. Wish I had been taking pictures through the setup process but I didn’t think to. The next week I bought another little frag (Ricordea) and a tiny cleanup crew. This is when things started going downhill. I added the frag and cleanup crew consisting of 2 nassarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails, 4 stomatella, and an asters snail. Only problem was the LFS gave me two Cerith not two nassarius and I didn’t notice til I got home. The store is an hour away so I didn’t go back to switch them out. I was also stupid and picked up a sickly looking yellow clown goby they were selling cheap. He was eating and this will probably be a single fish tank so I gave it a shot. I worked In the tank and got things placed, did a water change, etc. That night things looked irritated but they usually do after messing around in the tank. I had also picked up a Mini Complete Tank I planned on bringing to work. I put some sand and live rock in and added a little hermit crab. I upgraded the heater to a 10 W betta heater on an inkbird temp controller. It’s a cool little tank. The next day day zoas were closed and angry, Ricordea did not look happy, and I found the yellow clown goby dead. Snails were not moving much. Ammonia was at 0. Tried waiting things out that day but they weren’t looking better. I thought maybe I had some bad distilled water. That evening I did a 100% water change with heated water and things were looking better for a bit. I transferred one zoa to the mini tank as that hadn’t any distilled water in it yet and monitored. I put hands in to tweak one more thing in the tank and things started looking annoyed again. That’s when I realized I had put some hand sanitizer near the tank and both times the tank looked annoyed I had put my hands in the tank after forgetting I had used the hand sanitizer. I normally only rinse with water before hands go in tank but I messed up. Checked the label on the hand sanitizer and it has moisturizers in it too so yeah. I didn’t have water for another full change so I put the filter back on with a new carbon filter pack and hoped. THe next day (two days ago), the tank looked a lot better. Zoas open again and snails moving around except the Ceriths which I think I am going to lose. Moved the zoas back from the mini and the hand sanitizer is now in a different room. Yesterday my my friend gave me a Monti frag and some really tiny clove polyps. Polyps are in the Mini and Monti in the main tank. Things look good except a couple zoa polyps that don’t wanna open. Switched to a tiny hang on filter with carbon to finish clearing out the water but it won’t be permanent. Considering an upgrade to an AI Hydra light eventually. I have an order for an Octolid for the tank and I hope to get my hands on a hammer soon if things stay stable. Euphyllia are probably my favorite coral and yellow clown gobies are one of my favorite fish. A YCG was also one of my first two fish. I’ve approached this tank much differently than I have other tanks in the past. Moving faster than I normally would for sure. I’ve been reading up on reef bowls and 100% water changes so I figured I’d try doing things differently. I would never start a large tank this way but I have a lot more control with this nano. Of course I never would have considered doing a 100% water change even on a nano in the past but I wanted to try this approach this time around. Hopefully I can remember to take pictures as things move forward. 2/12/2020 Mini Complete Tank
Marine Depot posted a topic in Marine DepotTODAY: 10% off Seneye Reef Monitors and Accessories Monitor parameters and check tank health from your smartphone!