Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'montipora undata'.
Welcome to my Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10 build! Equipment List: Tank: IM Nuvo 10 gallon Stand: Fusion APS Cabinet Stand Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 50w Light: Ecotech Radion XR15w Pro G4 with Diffuser attachment, and RMS Tank Mount with custom riser Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 0.5 Powerhead: Ecotech Vortech Mp10w Quiet Drive Controller: Neptune Systems Apex EB8 Power Bar WXM for connecting to Radion and Mp10 LSM Lunar Sim Module (I dont think I will end up using this on a tank this small) pH, Temperature, and Salinity probes Breakout Box with Float switch controlling a second Sicce Syncra 0.5 ATO Pump (Breakout box also controls a LED light strip inside the cabinet triggered by a magnetic door sensor) DOS peristaltic dosing pump set to continuous water change of 1350 mL a day. Other: IM In Tank Media Basket Upgrade with Filter Floss in the top cage and a Chemi-Pure Blue Nano packet in each of the bottom 2. Livestock List: Clean Up Crew: Dwarf Cerith Snails, Nerite Snails, and Nassarius Vibex snails Female Yasha Hase Goby Red Banded Pistol Shrimp ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ It all started with this box of glass and this box of rocks: I decided to go with some Pukani Dry Live Rock and start out with as sterile of a system as possible. I soaked the rock in a diluted bleach and water solution for 2 weeks to remove any organic materials that might have been left over on the rock. After that I did a muriatic acid dip. I did about a 20 minute dip. I then let the rock cure in a bin in my garage for a few months in fresh water, doing 50% water changes every week or so. If I was going to do this again, I would dip for less time, with a more diluted solution. It is pretty crazy just how much the acid ate away from the rocks. I didn't take any pictures of this process, but to give you an idea of what I mean, here are some aquascapes I was playing around with before doing anything to the rock: And here is the first ever FTS: December 15, 2018 As you can see, the acid really opened up a lot of tiny little pores in the rock but it also ate away a good amount of the rock itself. I'm not saying I wouldn't do that again, but I'd definitely do it differently next time. Anyways, the tank finally got water in it, and got a Dr. Tim's fishless cycle going the first week of December 2018. Here's the Most recent FTS from the other day (sorry for dirty water, I had just finished doing a bit of scraping/cleaning): February 15, 2019 The first additions after the cleanup crew were a Female Yasha Goby and a Red Banded Pistol Shrimp combo I scored from Diver's Den. Here's a pic of the Yasha while she was being drip acclimated: I didn't get any pictures of the shrimp that were worth sharing unfortunately. And once they went into the tank they disappeared for 2 days. I'm happy to say though that today I was able to catch a glimpse of the goby coming out to snag a few Mysis shrimp I fed! She wouldn't let me get close enough to take a good picture without going into hiding, but I managed to snap this one: Well, that's pretty much all I have for now. I'll update with some more info tomorrow as far as future plans are concerned and hopefully some more pictures! I do apologize for the quality of the photos, I have a pretty old phone, and I'm not the best photographer to begin with - but I do promise to get better as I go. I know how much everyone loves pictures, and I'd like to have a nice photo documentary of this tanks progress. Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to post any questions/comments/concerns. I'm looking forward to being part of the Nano-Reef community!