Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ammonia '.
Found 1 result
So @brandon429 and I have this friendly ongoing back and forth about API's ammonia test kit (that we even sometimes take offline). Which, BTW, he has never tried, but that's besides the point. Anyways, I think we learn a lot during our debates. I do anyways. Well, I've been using API ammonia kits for over a decade without any notable problems. However, you can find instances online where people report getting ammonia results somewhere between 0.0 and 0.25 ppm, with seemingly healthy livestock in the the tank. I feel that many of these instances can be explained by trace amounts of ammonia (keep in mind that ammonia levels in the ocean and in our tanks are usually somewhere less than 0.1 ppm, but there is usually still some ammonia present). The results might also be due to: another ammonia source (like a death, or chloramine treated water, or ammonia contaminates in salt mix, or simply a newer tank) a false reading due to a water conditioner (ammonia detoxifier) such as Prime color match problems due to things like blue reef lighting or even discolored water expired or improperly shaken reagents That said, I always get undetectable ammonia results from my healthy, mature tanks. Still, I feel that API's ammonia test kit might be more sensitive than some other kits. This is concerning to some who seem to get low, but positive readings. So a recent debate with @brandon429 got me thinking, is there a way to make API's ammonia test kit a little less sensitive? This evening I decided to play around with one of their kits to see if I could adjust it so that it didn't read quite as high, but still detected ammonia. First, I dosed ammonium chloride into a test tank until it read 2 ppm by the API kit (following the kit's instructions of 8 drops from bottle #1, and 8 drops from bottle #2). Then I performed a test on that same water with 4 drops from bottle #1 and 4 drops from bottle #2. Obviously not a helpful result. Here are the results with 8 drops from bottle #1 and 4 drops from bottle #2. Again, not a helpful result. Finally, the results using 4 drops from bottle #1, and 8 drops from bottle #2. As you can see, I was able to reduce the sensitivity by lowering the amount of the bottle #1 reagent. While I'm not recommending cutting the bottle #1 reagent in half, I wonder if people would get more consistent negative results if they only used 7 drops instead of 8. Personally, I'm happy with how the kit works as is and won't be adjusting how much bottle #1 reagent I use. But I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on what I observed.