Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Macron

  • Rank
    Community Member
  1. A little update since my internet is finally back on. - The tank survived the hurricane for 6 days without power. I had a battery-powered air pump running over that time period, supplemented with occasional power via a drop cord running from my truck - enough to run the pumps. - My gobies died unfortunately, but not from the hurricane. They had been on hunger strike since I got them, and basically became skeletons. They would eat some food, but would either stop after a few bites or spit it back out. I had some arctic pods they seemed to like, but they didn't seem to want to eat enough. So now I am back to two fish. - My sunset monti is stressed and bleached, which I am hoping is from the lack of power/water circulation, and not something in my water. - I bought a hanna phosphate checker to test my PO4 from a different angle. First 2 readings were 0, third was 0.02. But the presence of algae tells me that it is definitely there. - Hair algae still reins supreme, had to remove my cheato because it was not growing. It was dark, brittle, and just unhealthy looking. My fuge is basically a hair algae scrubber now. - I am thinking right now that the microfauna in my tank is just imbalanced. Considering finding a nice encrusted piece of live rock or order a Coraline algae plate to add to the tank, and get some coraline to compete with the GHA.
  2. I actually had a tuxedo urchin for a very long time, but it died when my tank crashed. It would sometimes go at the algae and leave a bare trail behind it, but most of the time just stayed on the back wall. I try to keep the back chambers somewhat clean, but for whatever reason, IM designed the back chamber so that there are two dead zones under the overflows. I try to get a turkey baster in there to blow it out but it is not very effective. I may try fluconazole if time doesn't resolve my algae problems. It looks like there is going to be a minimum 3 day blackout coming this weekend as hurricane Florence is headed straight for me. The forecast is calling for a potential of 40+ inches of rain.
  3. It is occupying my rocks and the exposed skeletons of my stressed corals. Also there is a good amount growing in my refugium, but I am not too worried about it being in there.
  4. Thanks. I also have long suspected the rock being the culprit of leaching phosphates, although there is no way I can prove it either... all I did was soak the rocks in RO/DI water for a month while changing the water out every week or so. This is the first time I have used pukani. I don’t know if this is an important observation or not, but I have barely any coralline growing in this tank. It has yet to grow on the rock for over a year. There is some on the top of the power heads, but that is about it. I am hoping to someday get Hanna checkers as I hear they are more accurate than API.
  5. Hey clown, thanks for checking out the thread. Currently, my parameters are as follows (keep in mind I am only using inaccurate API tests): Salinity - 1.025 Ammonia - 0ppm Nitrite - 0ppm Nitrate - 0ppm Phos - 0ppm Alk - 9 dKh Calcium - 450 ppm Mg - unkown I have to keep manually removing the algae every week (at one point it was every day), but it is still very much there. I still dose vibrant 1-2 times a week at 1.5x the recommended dose, but I am not sure if it has slowed the algae down or is having any effect whatsoever. My chaeto has definitely stopped growing since I started. I totally agree with vacuuming the sand bed - it is part of my religious weekly maintence routine. Luckily, this black sand isn’t growing GHA yet, only diatoms it seems. The sand is only a couple of months old so that may be why the diatoms have colonized it.
  6. More pics of the tank's current status before the hurricane comes: My hair algae issues and stressed corals from the crash/algae: I do have a few new arrivals though, and they seem to be doing great so far:
  7. A brief history of this thing: April 2017 - Started out as IM 10 gallon tank. June 2017 - Dino outbreak that lasted months, all corals changed permanently for the worst. December 2017 - Tank switched over to 20 gallon. Things seem to stabilize, but nothing is thriving. April 2018 - Hair algae starts to take hold, most of the corals seem to be slightly irritated. May 2018 - Weekly water changes can't keep up with the hair algae. Removing hair algae with a toothbrush almost daily for months, Cutting back on already minimal feeding, using Vortech cover to suck up free floating algae. Had to slowly remove the sandbed over a period of a month because hair algae had completely covered it. July 2018 - Goby goes into the back chamber of the tank and dies in the return pump line while I am on vacation over the weekend. I return to a completely crashed tank with extremely high ammonia levels. Hair algae still seems to be unbeatable. Started dosing vibrant as last resort.
  8. Welcome to my reef journal! Having struggled with my reef tank for over a year, I now turn to you, the esteemed community of Nano-Reef.com, to guide me on the righteous path to reefing success. FTS: 9-12-18 Equipment: Display: Innovative Marine Fusion 20 Lighting: Ecotech Radion XR15we + Diffuser Filtration: Filter Floss, Carbon, Seachem Matrix Refugium: Innovative Marine ChaetoMax Light (24 hrs on), Chaetomorpha Heater: Cobalt Neotherm 50w, Aqueon Pro 100w Circulation: Stock Return, Vortech MP10QD Skimmer: Innovative Marine Ghost Desktop Skimmer ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO RO Unit: BRS 5-stage Premium Plus 75 GPD Rock: BRS Pukani Salt: Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Equipment Settings: Vortech: Lagoon Mode in lowest setting. Radion: SPS PHX14 Coral Lab Template; 35% Brightness; Lights on at 12:30 PM, Night at 9:30 PM, Lunar cycle from 9:30 PM-12:00 AM. Heater: 78ºF Current Maintenance Routine: Daily: Feed fish. Every Few Days: Replace Floss as needed, Clean Glass if needed, Blast rocks with turkey baster, Shake detritus out of cheato ball. Weekly: 10-15% Water Change, Stir Sandbed, Empty Skimmer Cup, Trim Chaeto. Monthly: Replace Carbon. Fish: Sixline Wrasse Tail Spot Blenny Yellow Clown Goby Green Clown Goby Inverts: Tiger Conch Rock Flower Anemones Snails Mixed hermits
  9. I’ve had two outbreaks of Dino’s in my tank so far over it’s one year lifespan. The first was very bad and led to the death of most of my zoas. The second was a more of a mix of Dino’s and GHA and was not quite as damaging, but took longer to fade. IME the only things that helped were increased water changes for manual removal and stirring up the sand bed combined with multiple periods of no lights... and of course patience. I would have the lights off for three days and as soon as I turned them back on the Dino’s would start to return quickly. So I would stir up the sand bed with another 20% water change and beat them back down with another period of no lights before they could build back up. I would leave the lights off until I could no longer see dinos on my sand bed and repeat if they came back after I turned the lights back on for a day. That is what worked in my tank and now things are way better. I would like to add that this is the first time I have ever had Dino’s in any of my 5 reef tanks and is also the first time I have started a tank with dry pukani rock. I think the rocks may have been slowly leaching things into the water despite being cured for over a month before being added to the tank. I hope you eventually figure out what works for your system.
  10. Mine stayed hidden in my rock for 2 weeks after I added it to the tank. Now it can be found perching on my chalice coral or in my toadstool leather most of the time. It stays close to the rock but sometimes darts out to explore. They can be shy fish, but mine is easily one of my favorites in my tank.
  11. I had my first outbreak of Dino's in my 10 gallon tank, which last for about 3 months. The outbreak occurred when the tank was about 3 months old. I tried less water changes, more water changes, reducing lighting, blackouts... they would aggressively return. I lost 2 colonies of zoas and many other corals never returned to normal. The Dinos eventually went away after a routine of bi-weekly water changes and turning the lights off whenever I saw signs of them returning. My tank was started with dry pukani rock from BRS and dry sand - it had 2 fish and a few frags in it when the outbreak happened. I cured the rock for a month before putting it in the tank. I never missed a single weekly water change with this tank and could never get a reading on nitrates or phosphates. I believe that the outbreak occurred simply because the microfauna/flora was not present in the proper ratios. I have had 3 other nano tanks that were started with well-established live rock and had never had a problem with Dinos before this tank.
  12. Stunning tank Gena. Honestly, every size variation I've seen has been nothing short of perfect. It's impressive that you were able to cram everything into this 10 gallon.
  13. That is an awesome DIY stand. I just got my IM10 set up as well. Great tank for the price. It took my tank about a month to cycle with dry rock and no seeding.
  14. Lights are looking good. 2 smaller kessils make the tank look very unique. Now if you could just match those screws!