Forgot your password?
Or sign in with one of these services
My 40g breeder reef aquarium. The tank is a little over 2 years old. I'll be moving the corals to a larger tank this winter, so here is my first and last post on nano-reefs. SPS seems to be all the craze today, but I really enjoy the beautiful shapes and movements of soft corals. I've found that the feeding requirements, flow rates, and water conditions for soft corals, clams and LPS corals complement each other nicely.
Posted December 9, 2011
i see ur running t5hos can u let me know the combo as well has how many hours do u leave them on ?
Very nice, I admit I have the sps bug, but I love the look of softie/lps dominant tanks.
Thanks for the comments. I'm running (4) T5 36" fixture with (front to back) ATI Blue Plus, ATI Aquablue Special, GE 6500, ATI Aquablue Special. I run the ATI Blue plus and GE (12) hours and the (2) Aquablue Specials for (6) hours. I've also used (2) Aqua Blue Plus and (2) GE 6500 with similar results.
SPS corals are overrated. You have a beautiful set up! What's the size of the new tank?
beautiful composition, husbandry and philosophy!
is that kenya tree on far right?
Cladiella sp. (colt coral) on the far right. I've ordered a new Lee-mar 140g (40x40x22). I have two smaller tanks and the corals have out grown both. I definitely need the space.
Here is a close up photo of the Sarcophyton, Goniopora and the Nepthea.
10* Love it !
..Very Nice! Super Clean! Boom!
WOW! I love love love softy tanks... which is why I have 2 reefs! Amazing colt coral!
Posted December 10, 2011
Wow, such a gorgeous aquarium! Amazing job!
Simply beautiful. Great job! You should be patting yourself on the back for this tank.
I know I already posted on this but I need more information; do you have a thread for this tank?
Can we get information on what you are using for cal/alk, water change shedules, lighting, etc?
I'll post some more tank info shortly.
TOTM!! well, for next month I hope..
A thread should be started for this tank
This is stunning. Softies are awesome!
Here is the requested tank info.
- 40g breeder (36x18x16)
- 4x36" Current T5 fixture with ATI Blue Plus, GE 6500 and ATI Aquablue bulbs
- B-ionic two-part, 200ml per week and small amounts of Iron and Iodine supplements
- 5 gallon water change per week with Tropic Marin salt
- 15 gallon sump. No sock (got tired of cleaning it), Bubble-Magus NAC6 skimmer, small GAC reactor and ball of chaeto with LED light.
(I rarely run the skimmer and the GAC reactor at the same time. To much skimming and GAC makes the xenias unhappy).
- Tunze Silence return pump . I run the return pump at the lowest setting, about 250 gph. I find a slow flow through my sump improves skimmer production and saves energy.
- (2) Koralia nano 400 in tank for flow (more random flow would be nice)
- I feed my fish and corals twice a day. I feed PE mysis, cyclop-eeze and brine shrimp. I usually turn my return pump off for an hour and let the food circulate through my tank to feed my corals. I target feed PE mysis to my larger LPS corals. The Xenia are the only corals in the tank that show no feeding behavior. I suspect their dependance on dissolved nutrients makes them sensitive to heavy filtration.
You can post now and register later.
If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Pasted as rich text. Paste as plain text instead
Only 75 emoji are allowed.
Your link has been automatically embedded. Display as a link instead
Your previous content has been restored. Clear editor
You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.