Pod Your Reef

Got my BC29 today......

TEALCOBRA

Teal... I think you would want to know this. I emailed chris at nanotuners and asking if he was going to come out with MH kit for the bc & here is his reply

Yes,

We will be releasing the BC 29 in 2 configurations:

1 . 1 x 70w MH + 1 x 36w PC

2. 2 x 70w MH + 1 x 36w PC

These kits will be available shortly.

Chris

Nanotuners Customer Care

info@nanotuners.com

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was getting some micro bubbles, which have pretty much stopped now that its been running for a few days. Seems like a good skimmer, they both produce the same skimmate pretty much.....

I will have to make a decision shortly and sell whichever one I dont decide to keep...

As for the lighting, I was looking at the Dual HQI that they made for the 24DX, and it looks phenominal. Once they come out with the (2) 70w MH, I will probably be selling my 4.36 kit too.... kinda sucks because im so impatient that I ordered these kits instead of waiting the 2 weeks or so to get the ones that I was really interested in to begin with.

Oh well. :happy:

I just popped the false floor out of the first chamber and put my heater in there.... I also bought a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer to see how well it works compared to the Tunze 9002 skimmer.... So far they're both pulling about the same skimmate, but we shall see. :)

What heater did you use?? do ya like it? Does it still leave room in the chamber for a small pump?

-R

Im using a 100w stealth in the first chamber, after popping out the floor there is a good amount of room in there still. I would bet you could fit a small pump into the bottom of it with no problems.

Sweet. I'm not sure about waiting for the tunze nanostream it looks amazing, but the $70 one does something like 650 gph ??!! with no way to slow it down, speed controlled one is like $200 Ouch... not sure if the flow from that plus the 350 gph from the 6HP Rio it that would create more like storm currents vs. great reef currents. any thoughts?

All I heard about it was from Roger over on RC, and he said it would be perfect for 20 gallon tanks, I didnt know the thing was rated for 650 GPH, that does seem pretty excessive for the little cube... I suppose if you aimed it a certain way and got it to bounce off a wall or two before it hit anything it would slow it down alot, but still seems high... :huh:

Tealcobra- I found one of Tunze's dealers, they listed it on their website:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ode=Tunze_pumps

It looks incredible. the outlet numbers are kinda confusing so I can't quite tell is it is 1.5 in. or .59 in. outlet??? my hope is that it is a 1.5in. outlet which I think would make for a softer flow than pushing it out of a 5/8in. pipe. Then again at 7watts it seems that anything that will fit in chamber 1 with that low of power will barely do 150g/hr and that doesn't seem to be enough to generate good reverse current and turbulance against the 6hp.

Also that adapter you got to go from 60mm to 80mm I'm curious to hear how it does, cause it seems to me that a sharp taper of 20mm would boost the noise level?? :unsure:

-R

The fans and their adapters have been shipped, and Ill be posting as soon as I get them installed...

On a side note, I had a yellow tailed damsel in the tank to try to jump start the cycle and now I cant find the little bastard. I think I lost him. :lol: I checked the 3 back chambers and didnt see him in any of those, and I see him nowhere in the tank. If he kicked the bucket wouldnt I see some sort of "remains" even though i have crabs in the tank ??? I didnt notice any ammonia spikes or anything like that when I checked the water parameters this morning... :huh:

:lol:

I purposely got two females because I didnt want to deal with them getting all hormonal and having to deal with babies.. theyre ALOT of work... Like I would have to bring them to work with me and feed them hourly... just too much work. :)

:lol:

I purposely got two females because I didnt want to deal with them getting all hormonal and having to deal with babies.. theyre ALOT of work... Like I would have to bring them to work with me and feed them hourly... just too much work. :)

Are you sure....my folks have a few birds and one of them was supposed to be male, but they figured out is was a female when it laid an egg :o good thing they named it Rocky oops now its Rockie ;)

How's your fan situation??

-R

Yeah, Ive had them both DNA tested... Im good. =)

I have had like NO time to work on the tank, Im going to try to squeeze it in today between some football, I'll let you guys know if it happens or not. :)

Well, still no work done with the fans, things have been crazy at work and Ive been way too busy.... Hopefully Ill have some time this weekend. I am also mulling over the nanotuners MH upgrade, but didnt want to jump onto the first 70w kit, as I would much rather get the dual HQI setup on their homepage, or atleast have some additional PC lighting to supplement some actinic lighting... :happy:

Teal, have you by any chance made a final assessment of the Tunze vs Sapphire Aquatics 29BC protein skimmer? I have held my purchase in the hopes that you'd have some commentary.

Tank is here and it's thirsty !

So far, I really like the sapphire, but am still getting some micro bubbles into my tank.... I am trying to get this resolved before making my final decision... If I cant get this squared away the Tunze will definitely be going back into the tank...

Yeah, you have to push it DOWN first (I started in just one corner of it...), and itll "pop" down, then kinda angle it and pull it out of the first chamber....

Things seem to be good.... Ill throw a few pics on here... nevermind the microbubbles in the tank, those should be gone this week thanks to the help of Kyle at sapphire..... :)

Heres a FTS..... Im starting to get some color in the tank, although there is more green than I wouldve liked to see, but im sure some is inevitable with all this new stuff going in there... you can see the coraline starting to get onto the back wall lower water grate...

fts11.21.jpg

Heres a few shots of just the actinic bulbs in the 4.36 kit.... I found some really good colored zoo's from a local shop that I put in there, you should be able to spot a few of them, especially under the actinics...

ftsactinic11.21.jpg

sidetankactinic11.21.jpg

Just added a neon candy cane and a Green bulb, purple tip anemone in anticipation of the clowns to come.... I was told by some people that I should put the clowns in first, but a local guy was selling this and I couldnt pass up the price....

Anemone:

gbta11.21.jpg

Neon Candy Cane:

neoncandycane11.21.jpg

I cant believe how BRIGHT that neon candy is... I had some candy frags in there that I thought were bright till I bought that piece from the local guy.... If anyone is around the Chicago west suburbs and would like the old candy frags I had, theyre yours, just shoot me a PM. :D

Thats about it for now.... All of my numbers have been great for the past 3 weeks, so I am thinking about adding the fish this weekend.... I will be adding more LR to it also when I come across any "cool" pieces from any LFS's...

Wow! that's look'in great!!

(much better than my ribbons and pecans) ;)

how did you get that anemone to sit right there (threaten him or glue him)? :lol:

maybe it just like the attention of center stage. looks perfect there....I'm sooo jealous

-R

Actually, I put him by the right "leg" that comes down from the top of the rock pile, and when I got home from work he had his a$$ planted right there in the middle of the tank.... I always heard from people that the anemone will always find the best spot for themselves, but I figured it would take him days to move to somewhere he liked in the tank, not the 4 hours I was away from the house. :D

I got him and the huge piece of neon candycane for $40.... I couldnt pass that up especially since the lfs was charging $180 for a pice of neon candy that size with some xenia growing on the skeleton of it. :rolleyes:

I think the funniest thing yet is that anytime I put my hand in the tank to fix anything the cleaner shrimp jumps on it expecting me to be feeding the tank... he goes NUTS when Im putting food in the tank....

Teal-

Sounds like a great deal :D To bad he's not in SoCal.

Your shrimp sounds awesome! I was in a LFS and their big open shallow tank had a little one that was kind of the same way, when I got close he swam to the surface! I'm going to have to make sure when I get one that I find one like yours thats not going to hide all day long.

-R

Archived