Pod Your Reef

[Stock] lgreen

lgreen

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

I didn't have any batteries for the camera and couldn't find my sony battery charger. I went to target to get batteries and ended up buying a energizer battery charger and 4 rechargable batteries. I thought they would come charged, but they didn't. So I had to wait seven hours for the dumb things to charge. Now it is morning. I had to get all the stuff in the tank so it didn't die, so I don't have detailed pics of each thing like I wanted too.

The crud was basically dark silt w/ some sand and some small pieces of live rock. I could see some micro orgs in it. Looked like there was a spagetti worm or two. The silt went into solution pretty badly though and didn't settle at first. I added the sand, and then it started to settle so now I have a 1-2mm layer of silt across the top of my sand. Overall I wanted it for the biodivirsity, and it may have worked for that, but otherwise I'd say don't buy it for the display tank. It would be great for mud style refugium though.

I'll post some pics in a bit, I'm still trying to wake up. :lol:

You can kind of see what the silt looks like in this pic. It is the thin darker layer. Basically you get a bag of that w/ some small rock rubble. Personally I'd probably pass buying it again for the display tank, but buy it if I was setting up a refugium. The crud is pretty silty so I don't know if it would even stay in a aquaclear style fuge.

siltysand.JPG

I just threw the rock in. I couldn't see to aquascape because it was so cloudy, but this is where it is now. I'll aquascape it a bit better when I fully wake up. I don't have my light yet either, so this pic doest reflect how awesomely colorful the rock is! It is still a bit cloudy and I haven't wiped of that nice layer of frothy sand from the glass.

fts210.JPG

Ok, I think I got it aquascaped how I like for now. It is cloudy as hell though, so I won't even bother posting a pic until it clears up. I don't know if it is the arag-alive or the Premium aquatics silty crud that is making it so cloudy.

I think I'm going to end up trying to find a way to suck this silty stuff out. It doesn't look to pleasent.

Still freaking cloudy, but you can kind of make out the aquascaping. It looks better in person and I'm sure will look better once it clears up and I get the light on it.

FTS_3.JPG

Is it just me or does it seem like every tank I aquascape looks kind of the same. lol. I must really suck at aquascaping.

looks pretty good. i dont think aquascaping is something you can learn. either you are good at it or you arent. i think this is a pretty good scape though. :)

Another shot w/ a 15w Std. Fluorescent Coralife 50/50 bulb. Looks a little better.

FTS_4.JPG

Actually I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out so far.

I'm not sure what I am going to keep really. I'm sort of inspired impulsivley, so I'll most likely just see something cool and decide to get it.

For sure I probably will be adding a variety of mushrooms, zoos, a small flower leather, and some caulerpa prolifera. I'll have to see what other neat stuff I can find at work tommorow. I won't be doing any sps though due to the light restrictions for the stock comp, but don't be suprized to see some lps.

Yes, against my will I will be upgrading to the vastly inferior power compact light. CM said no to doing just 15w or 30w of Standard Fluorescent light (I guess I understand, but then again I don't). Hopefully my boss ordered my 40w Satallite and it will be there tommorow. If not, I'll either be with out light for a week, or have to use the 15w std. fluor hood for the first week if there are no objections to that.

Update! (lol, most of you who know me are probably shocked to see me updating so much!)

Things have cleared up pretty good and I found a few goodies at work today. Added a small rock w/ 4-6 sm. neon red mushrooms. Also added 2 purple w/ blue stripe pimpled mushrooms and a fuzzy neon green mushroom. I also added two tiny starts of caulerpa profilera. Hopefully I can keep them small and in control, otherwise I'm ripping them out and tossing them.

FTS_5.JPG

I also bought some background for the tank, but haven't put it on yet. Still have to test it out and see if blue or black looks better. Also my lights were not ordered, so I left a big note begging for the boss to order them and hopefully they will be there when I work next sunday.

Lights went out, so I just had to time to snap this one other shot. I'll try to get pics of the other mushrooms since they are kind of neat as far as color and pattern. The one larger red guy is out (although has poo'ed itself), but the other smaller ones seem to be closed up a bit still. I'm sure they will inflate a bit in the morning.

neonredmushrooms.JPG

Note: If you look in my gallery and click on the FTS pic above you can see a much larger non-shrunk version with more detail.

Update.

Interesting macro algae begining to pop up on this rock. I'm praying it's not bryopsis, but it looks a little thicker so I think I'm safe. I got bryopsis really bad last time I bough nano-rock from premium aquatics, so really hoping it doesn't pop up this time.

unknownmacroalgae.JPG

Green fuzzy mushroom:

greenfuzzymushroom.JPG

Green w/ red dots mushroom (trying to escape under the rock?? lol):

greenreddotsmushroom.JPG

Same neon red mushrooms looking a little happier:

neonredmushrooms2.JPG

Looks like the big guy might still have some silt around his mouth. I'll have to get out the turkey baster.

I'm kind of just starting things out simple with mushrooms to get things going and established. Next step will be zoos. Then leathers, lps, etc. I'll see what we got in at the lfs tommorow and hopefully will be receiving some cool stuff from some fellow nano-reefers next week.

Crap, I still need to put the background on!

lol. They're easy, but a good coral to get stuff moving, fill in blanks, and add some color. More difficult items will come w/ time.

FTS 6 (Trying out the blue background)

FTS_6.JPG

Archived