ReefCleaners.org

[Custom] jeremai

jeremai

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dood thats sweet. I'm gonna do one!! I live like 30min from Puget Sound so collecting stuff would be a breeze.

just be sure you're licensed. there are some steep fines for collecting illegally, and they do patrol the puget pretty well, from what i've read on RC.

Yeah there was this temperate water tank at mystic aquarium in connecticuit, and I had to wipe off the condensation just to see inside.

But judging by the temperature of the glass, the water felt REALLY cold.

Colder than 60 degree range...

Hmm, one of my favorite public aquariums... when were you there? They just remodeled the enitre facility about a year and a half ago, moved over to acrylic for all display fronts. Their coldwater tank is kept at 50 degrees and features life from LIS north to Bar Harbor.

I'm not having any condensation issues, for two reasons - one, the entire tank is insulated, with .5" acrylic on the front; the second reason is that relative humidity in Las Vegas hovers around 15% year-round; even with two open-top tanks in the room, there still isn't enough humidity to condense on the surfaces. heck, cold glasses don't even get condensation here, even in the middle of summer. :huh:

Yeah I was there labor day weekend.

They had this shallow coldwater tidepool thing with anemones and hermits and what not. The tank Im talkin about was more of an in-wall display, and alot smaller... I dont even remember what was init... may like a few schooling fish? small herring or something? I'm not exactly sure if it was glass, but water can condense on acrylic, right?

Mystic had alot of cool SW And FW setups alike. The giant octopus particularly caught my attention... I just thought it was so cool to just see it in the corner with its eyes closed, controlling all eight tenticles independently, probing multiple rocks/crevices at once...

Really made me think about cephalapods and the level at which their preliminary "consciousness" operates at.

nano_reeflover
just be sure you're licensed. there are some steep fines for collecting illegally, and they do patrol the puget pretty well, from what i've read on RC.

All you need is a fishing license. No one cares if you take stuff off the beach or from tidepools, I'm out there all the time. Plus my grandparents have a place on the water with tidepools so I could just collect from there.

nano_reeflover
Well, if you do collect stuff, send some my way. :)

I'm going over to my grandparents for thanksgiving. In the tidepools there are shrimp, urchins, oysters, clams, macro algae, snails, hermit crabs, decorator crabs, opelescent nudibranchs, anemones, etc. How desparate are you for livestock $$ :P

All you need is a fishing license. No one cares if you take stuff off the beach or from tidepools, I'm out there all the time. Plus my grandparents have a place on the water with tidepools so I could just collect from there.

i'm not saying you're not right, but i swear i've read on a few threads on RC that to collect anemones and other inverts in the puget and other areas in washington/oregon, you needed a collection license. i'll see if i can't find those threads.

jeremai, more pics man!!

EDIT: I stand corrected. It's the California coast that's difficult to get permits for. Oregon and Washington allow collection anywhere as long as you are not in a reserve. :) been quite a while since i'd read those threads... i'll keep mah mouth shut until i research next time.

Ok, I do plan on stocking this thing, I swear - I should have my first shipment in this week. :unsure:

we're waiting!

lol

c'mon im dieing to see this tank get stocked

Tremble with fear, naysayers!

Got the first shpment in, everything is still settling in. I'm going to have a bit of a time with identification, I think, but I enjoy that part. :)

Anyway, a quick but dirty FTS - I'll get better shots once everything settles down.

th_FTS-11-09-06.jpg

I have no idea - but there is no organic film perse in temperate reefs. I'm guessing it eats meaty foods, like everything else. This is going to be one dirty tank. :)

You suck, I hate you!

everyone else always gets the cool stuff

:P

lol but seriously VERY cool looking.. i cant wait for everything to settle in...

but IMO the star and those hermits look mighty cramped, if you catch my drift ;):):lol:

Yeah, it was basically a grab bag - I send the guy money, he sends me whatever he wants; I think he underestimated how small a 10g is, hehe. I think I've convinced a reefing friend of mine to set up a 60g temperate tank, so we'll see how that goes.

There are four anemones - maybe a fifth, I have no idea what the brown thing in the middle is yet, but it moves like an anemone. Six or seven barnacles, also MUCH larger than the tropical variety I'm used to. Some macro, a few tiny brittle stars, a small crab (maybe 1") and a few other unidentified creepies. Good times. :)

The barnacles are freaking me out - it's like the rocks are moving, hehe. Speaking of which, am I the only one who didn't know that barnacles are arthropods? I had always thought they were mollusks for some reason... :huh:

Archived