Top Shelf Aquatics

[Custom] jeremai

jeremai

Ok, fishfreak218 is on page four already, I better get cracking.

I set up the chiller last night - pulled the tank down 30 degrees from ambient in less than four hours. Hot damn. Only trouble is, I'm not sure if anything can survive in there with the flow from a Mag5 pushing the water around... like a friggin hurricane, hence the spraybar.

th_chillerassembly.jpg

th_fullshot.jpg

Yes, it does say 51 degrees. Woop! I put a piece of live rock from my other tank in there, but I doubt it's still very alive, with the temp drop so sudden like that. Guess I'll buy a catalina goby and see what happens - they're cheaper than the rest of the livestock I'm intending on buying. :scarry:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, fishfreak218 is on page four already, I better get cracking.

I set up the chiller last night - pulled the tank down 30 degrees from ambient in less than four hours. Hot damn. Only trouble is, I'm not sure if anything can survive in there with the flow from a Mag5 pushing the water around... like a friggin hurricane, hence the spraybar.

th_chillerassembly.jpg

th_fullshot.jpg

Yes, it does say 51 degrees. Woop! I put a piece of live rock from my other tank in there, but I doubt it's still very alive, with the temp drop so sudden like that. Guess I'll buy a catalina goby and see what happens - they're cheaper than the rest of the livestock I'm intending on buying. :scarry:

lol, looks interesting.. cant wait to see this tank start up!!

wow i didn't know that little chiller could pull down that low... what's the ambient around?

well.. he said it droped 30 from the ambient.. and he said it is at 51.. so

51+30= 81 degrees!

Interesting tank....Id like to see if you can get your hands on all these cold water species....Id do it but I dont want the thousands of dollars in fines and jail time!

I will be able to get at least four types of cnidarians for this tank - the only ones I am unsure about are the strawberries. The others are coming from educational outlets.

Holy crap, I think I may pee myself. Seriously.

There are very few (five, maybe) articles on temperate tanks written for hobbyists. After months of searching, I finally tracked down two of them: The Temperate Reef Aquarium Parts I and II, by David Wrobel.

Part One

Part Two

Crazy... found them both in one night! Woop! Probably not a big deal to most, and all the info I already deduced from reading scientific papers - but still! :happydance:

er1c_the_reefer

i'm 15 minutes from little corona and the corona del mar tide pools and 30-45 minutes from dana point. let me know if you want me to go :ninja: and get you some livestock... :lol:

i'm 15 minutes from little corona and the corona del mar tide pools and 30-45 minutes from dana point. let me know if you want me to go :ninja: and get you some livestock... :lol:

jeremai, fantastic work! tank looks amazing. i'm scuurrrred. :o

I already have two ready to go! Woop!

That, coupled with my contact at SIO, should make stocking this tank relatively inexpensive. B)

Nah, those are so hard to find, even for divers, that no one is willing to give them up. They were offering mostly the easy-to-find tidepool varieties.

Go Jeramai.

If you need help getting some of the Strawberry Anemones, i'll see if I can get some help from the Coldwater Exhibit at the Georgia Aquarium.

My stepmom works there so.... :ninja:

Go Jeramai.

If you need help getting some of the Strawberry Anemones, i'll see if I can get some help from the Coldwater Exhibit at the Georgia Aquarium.

My stepmom works there so.... :ninja:

they actually have strawberries in the coldwater touchpool there, so if you can just figure out some diversion... :ninja:

Well I'm not no fancy schmancy, big city lawyer... But wouldn't all these diff species of anemones in one tank start nuking eachother? Seems I read somewhere that diff species will release chemicals to keep other species away. I could be way off, but I thought I did read it somewhere.... Could it be, that this action is restricted to tropical species???? I don't know.

I believe the allelopathy is restricted to tropical species. I know that colonies of Corynactis will fight if they meet, but individual anemones are fine - take a look at Steve Weast's tank, for instance.

Coldwater species are much more tolerant of adverse conditions than tropical species - just feed them, change a little water every few weeks, and you're good to go.

PS - when I was building this thing, I forgot to leave room for a skimmer. :(

Archived