Innovative Marine Aquariums

[Custom] jeremai

jeremai

Well, here goes nothing...

EmptyTank.jpg

Forgive the Ice Probe, it will be replaced with a 1/10hp chiller in the next week or so. The tank will stay at 60 degrees, and will eventually be home to algae and anemones from Washington and Maine, and perhaps a small Australian anemone or two.

The tank is 1/4" acrylic on the sides, back and bottom, and 1/2" in the front. It is surrounded in 3/4" plywood. These measures were taken to insulate the tank - I do live in Las Vegas, after all. There is a top to it, so it looks like one sleek, all-in-one unit.

There is a Tom Aquatics mini canister filter for filtration, black sand, and funky rocks - more photos to come. A 32w PC retro provides lighting; still deciding on a 50/50 bulb, or all white.

Now, if only I had adinsxq's anemones, I'd be set! B)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about those strawberry anemone's? didn't I hear that some of the coolest deep water corals and inverts are illegal to collect?

This will be exciting!!! any fish planned?

Perhaps a Catalina goby in the beginning, just to see how long it would take for it to become a tasty snack. :eek:

I think I may have a lead on getting Corynactis californicus (strawberry anemones), still working out the kinks. If you wanna google, start here: Urticina felina, Metridium dianthus, Tubularia crocea and Cerianthis borealis - those are what I'm planning right now. For reference, that was two 'regular' anemones, a hydroid and a tube anemone.

Hehe, it's kind of a personal lead... you know... :wub:

But if I can get them for sure, you and adin are at the top of my list. They won't be wild, they will have come from a public aquarium; but beggars can't be choosers, eh?

oh one of the lfs here has a connection to the monterey bay aquarium. They got this open system with tons of anemones, I bet I can steal one! Or dive for one. I need to do more research though, ie photosynth, reasonable temp range, what kinda feeding. I hear theyre very popular with beginner bio labs cause their stinging cells are larger or something to that effect. I will update you guys if I can get lead on them as well

Nonphotosynthetic, feed on plankton type stuff - I think mysis will be my main food for this tank. Yup, strawberries have friggin huge nematacysts, very easy to see with a low-powered microscope.

Fishfreak218

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! im glad to finally see a coldwater tank that is a nano.. the tank looks great....

i have only really seen one coldwater tank and that was steveweasts... it will be interesting to see this thing go up..

I like it, definitely handy. I took out all the media that came with it and put in regular old filter floss, does the job. I don't think it's worth $40, but since I'm not running a skimmer, I'm glad I have it.

wow, this tank has some awesome potential....... if you interested i could look from leads on getting some anemones from the washington area (i live like 30 min from the ocean and 5 min from the sound) ;) either way, way to be brave and go cold water!

wow, this tank has some awesome potential....... if you interested i could look from leads on getting some anemones from the washington area (i live like 30 min from the ocean and 5 min from the sound) ;) either way, way to be brave and go cold water!

Hey, if you're willing to go tidepooling, I'll take a few small anemones, maybe some smaller macros, perhaps a whelk... PM me, let's talk. :)

Sure, Mr. Super-secret-don't-tell-anyone nano. I thought it was going to be tropical, but if you're setting up a cold system, I'll bump you straight to the top. :rolleyes:

RayWhisperer
Sure, Mr. Super-secret-don't-tell-anyone nano. I thought it was going to be tropical, but if you're setting up a cold system, I'll bump you straight to the top. :rolleyes:

LOL!

Yeah, it's gonna be tropical... I'm just yankin yer chain! ;)

I decided not to enter.... It just wouldn't be fair. B) Besides that, I've dumped enough money into this one, and still haven't added any water. I really can't afford another big bucker. Now to decide where to post my up coming thread on this tank.... All in one forums, or Members aquariums... Which would be more appropriate????? :huh:

WOW! What a neat idea. I am so excited to see this come out-- i've been scuba diving in the anemone flats in Bonaire and it was amazing looking, if you come within 10% of replicating that this will be awesome.

Good Luck!

Wow, thanks. I don't know about replicating a scene like that, since they are usually dominated by a climax species and I'm going for more of a conglomeration - but I'll try and make it look nice. :)

Archived