inTank Media Baskets

bye BC29, hello 144w T5 Cadlights 22!

mullman

Edit: cadlights.com just put up some new pics of this tank and it shows the new lighting system and refuge style sump behind the false wall. it looks pretty awesome.

I really think Cadlights could be a the sleeping giant in all-in-one reef tanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I miss the chance to flame Mullman for being excited about his new tank? I like typing in colors and all caps. People being happy about something and having opinions that differ from mine enrages me!!1

The cadlights tanks look great, wish I had the time, space or money to set up one. Good luck, can't wait to see your finished product.

alright guys i am going to take some pictures of my tank tonight and post it up tomorrow. i put it in my store instead of my house because my wife said that having a 55g reef at home was enough and didn't let me keep one in the bedroom. i gotta say that in my whole store the tank is the best looking thing in there.

i still got a long way to go in stocking it, and was hoping to post pics up after i stock it with some more corals. since its a fairly new tank i only have about 3 corals and some starter fish. i get so much compliments and offers for my tank i might as well start selling them out of my store.

Follow up on previous question by ToZeBeach:

Does the Tunze skimmer fit into the sump area on the rear of the tank, or elsewhere? Did Eddie specify??

Also, do you have a number for Cadlights? Was wanting to ask someone there if the background color of the tank could be changed?? Not sure if I care for the blue color all that much. It seems to project the light outward from the tank like a giant reflector. Black just seems to have cleaner look as well.

Thanks for your help, DBC

Does the Tunze skimmer fit into the sump area on the rear of the tank, or elsewhere? Did Eddie specify??

Also, do you have a number for Cadlights? Was wanting to ask someone there if the background color of the tank could be changed?? Not sure if I care for the blue color all that much. It seems to project the light outward from the tank like a giant reflector. Black just seems to have cleaner look as well.

If you email Cadlights through their website they respond very quickly. They said the background was also available in black. I would also be curious if the Tunze fits cleanly in the sump area with no mods.

The number is (718)763-8024. They do respond real quick on emails.

odd question, but is the back of the tank glass???(not the compartment, but the back-wall of the tank)...just curious....looks like a great all-in-one....and you won't need a chiller...!

odd question, but is the back of the tank glass???(not the compartment, but the back-wall of the tank)...just curious....looks like a great all-in-one....and you won't need a chiller...!

Yes it is glass. If you look on the website you can find where they sell only the 22g tank by itself and it is completely made of glass.

Thanks all, for your quick replies to my pervious questions.

I did finally notice the blue/black background option on the website, and the telephone number way down on the bottom of the page.

Thanks again, DBC

People being happy about something and having opinions that differ from mine enrages me!!1

lol awesome jdp, dont turn into the hulk on us

anyways i just wanted to tag along on this thread

looking at the pics, the cadlights T5 lighting do not seem to have individual parabolic reflectors. if this is the case, it is not as suitable as one may think for sps and clams. better than PCs, but not metal halides. just because the lighting is "T5" doesn't mean the heat is necessary much less either. I've felt tek5s in action and they seem just as hot as PCs.

Cannonball & Mullman,

Just a couple more quick questions for you: What tank filtration option did you choose from Cadlights? The Wet/Dry config. or the Refugium config. for the rear chambers?? (Wet/Dry comes with the bioballs, etc.)

I am asking because I am still trying to find out where to add a skimmer for this tank. It seems as though from the pics, the Refugium config. would better accomodate a skimmer.

Cannonball, did Eddie from Cadlights specify on where to put the Tunze????

Thank You

I'm starting to think...im gonna go with the refugium config w/ the rear chambers...add tunze nano skimmer in first chamber...put on 18" aquafuge pro on back for cheato and LR with the pump going alongside the other pump in the back of the cadlights tank (chamber 2), and the output of the aquafuge going directly into the tank for some added flow.

mmm...sounds sweet.

I got chose the wet/dry option and i put in the Pura padding. i'm thinking to put in some seachem purigen once every other month so that i wouldn't need a skimmer. so far the water parameters are perfect.

if you want to add a skimmer, you would probably be better off with the refugium option.

i put in a few extra pieces of corals: octopus branch, 2 little anemones, sea fan. 3 perculas and a skunk clown, sea serpant star.

ez company: the lighting is very bright and my water temperature never goes higher than 78 degrees with the top completely closed. the temperature of the light itself feels at most warm maybe around 90 degrees the most. i also have 6 bulbs with a full length relfector versus a 4 bulb tek with individual relfectors. the corals are doing great and they don't lie.

Cannonball & Mullman,

Just a couple more quick questions for you: What tank filtration option did you choose from Cadlights? The Wet/Dry config. or the Refugium config. for the rear chambers?? (Wet/Dry comes with the bioballs, etc.)

I am asking because I am still trying to find out where to add a skimmer for this tank. It seems as though from the pics, the Refugium config. would better accomodate a skimmer.

Cannonball, did Eddie from Cadlights specify on where to put the Tunze????

Thank You

ToZeBeach,

Just a heads up, I spoke with someone from Cadlights. He told me the rear chamber width is only 3.5". From what I've been told, the collection cup for the Tunze nano skimmer is 3.75" in diameter. Since the water level in the rear chambers would be lower than the main tank, the skimmer would have to be lowered down into the chamber, and would not fit.

So, I was thinking of perhaps placing the skimmer into the main tank area, on either side of the rear chamber walls (basically, clipped to the back wall of the aquarium, in the left or right "cove".) This way, I could use the filtration chambers without the obstruction of a skimmer in there. If so, what to go with now- the wet/dry config. or the refugium config. ???

The only issue that may arise is... If the collection cup's height for the skimmer is too high above the tank's glass elevation, the upgraded T5 light fixture would be in the way. (From the pics, it looks like there is not much space between the top of the tank and the bottom of the fixture. Also being that it swings back, on hinged mounting legs, it would hit the collection cup ????) Of course, this is just my observation, and may not be the case.

Tell me what you think.

ToZeBeach,

Just a heads up, I spoke with someone from Cadlights. He told me the rear chamber width is only 3.5". From what I've been told, the collection cup for the Tunze nano skimmer is 3.75" in diameter. Since the water level in the rear chambers would be lower than the main tank, the skimmer would have to be lowered down into the chamber, and would not fit.

So, I was thinking of perhaps placing the skimmer into the main tank area, on either side of the rear chamber walls (basically, clipped to the back wall of the aquarium, in the left or right "cove".) This way, I could use the filtration chambers without the obstruction of a skimmer in there. If so, what to go with now- the wet/dry config. or the refugium config. ???

The only issue that may arise is... If the collection cup's height for the skimmer is too high above the tank's glass elevation, the upgraded T5 light fixture would be in the way. (From the pics, it looks like there is not much space between the top of the tank and the bottom of the fixture. Also being that it swings back, on hinged mounting legs, it would hit the collection cup ????) Of course, this is just my observation, and may not be the case.

Tell me what you think.

It sucks that the Tunze wouldnt fit in the back chamber. Personally I wouldnt put it in the display area, i think it would detract from the "clean" look of this setup. If the tunze wont fit in, maybe one of the sapphire aquatics filters would? I would probably get an AquaC and pump from the back and output into the display. Another option if you were handy you could build your own false wall instead of using theirs.

Edit: The tunze forum over at RC is stating that they are working on a smaller "rectangular" collection cup that should be available in 6-12 months. This looks like it solves the problems perfectly, unless you need a skimmer right away.

Link: Prototype Tunze Nano w/smaller collection cup

I think finding another skimmer that can fit in the refugium area is probably the best bet. i measured my Cadlights 22g and the back chamber i have 3.5inches also. i wouldnt mind putting attaching the skimmer on the side of the filtration though. actually if it is hangin on the back, i might get more access and can work with the skimmer easier. i was planning to put some rocks around the area to hide some of the exposed parts.

ToZeBeach,

Tell me what you think.

ToZeBeach, Cannonball,

I had seen that thread in the Tunze forum. I guess I'm just a bit skeptical about the new, smaller collection cup on the skimmer. Sounds good, but seems like there's going to be a whole lot of fine tuning to get it right. Just hope that when its finally out, it gets the same good reviews that the current model is receiving.

I aslo was considering the AquaC Remora Nano. Good reviews as well, but some say its a bit loud. Thats one of the other good things about the Tunze, - it's supposed to be extremely quiet. Man, why couldn't the thing just fit? (Aggravating).

I think, like you said though. I don't need the skimmer right away. I can surely wait until things are fully established.

Cannonball, going back to my previous post, what's the clearance like on the back of the tank with the lighting down, and then tilted back??? Pictures perhaps??

How are you doing with evaporation??? As a whole, pros and cons of the setup??

Thanks

from the back of the light to the back of the aquarium there is 2 1/4" space that is open. the light is exactly 10 1/2". when the light is flipped up all the way, its exactly 1 1/2" from the back of the tank.

i top-off the tank around 1/2 gallon every 5 days with the cover on. the temperature around here in NYC is hovering around at 40's-50's. i noticed that they designed this filter where it runs almost silent and practically no splashing, so maybe thats why the evaporation is so low.

i can probably take some pics of it and show you guys.

ToZeBeach, Cannonball,

I had seen that thread in the Tunze forum. I guess I'm just a bit skeptical about the new, smaller collection cup on the skimmer. Sounds good, but seems like there's going to be a whole lot of fine tuning to get it right. Just hope that when its finally out, it gets the same good reviews that the current model is receiving.

I aslo was considering the AquaC Remora Nano. Good reviews as well, but some say its a bit loud. Thats one of the other good things about the Tunze, - it's supposed to be extremely quiet. Man, why couldn't the thing just fit? (Aggravating).

I think, like you said though. I don't need the skimmer right away. I can surely wait until things are fully established.

Cannonball, going back to my previous post, what's the clearance like on the back of the tank with the lighting down, and then tilted back??? Pictures perhaps??

How are you doing with evaporation??? As a whole, pros and cons of the setup??

Thanks

from the back of the light to the back of the aquarium there is 2 1/4" space that is open. the light is exactly 10 1/2". when the light is flipped up all the way, its exactly 1 1/2" from the back of the tank.

i top-off the tank around 1/2 gallon every 5 days with the cover on. the temperature around here in NYC is hovering around at 40's-50's. i noticed that they designed this filter where it runs almost silent and practically no splashing, so maybe thats why the evaporation is so low.

i can probably take some pics of it and show you guys.

Cannonball-

I a moving my livestock from the BC29 to Cad 22 this week, painting the back black today (Krylon Fusion).

Just curious to how high you are running your water level. During my leak test of the Cad 22 it appears you could really run the rear as a wet-dry or fully wet (for fuge, LR pile, ect) depending on the amount of water you put in the tank.

I keep the wet-dry 1/2 full like Alex from Cadlights recommend and the tank stays at around 1" or so from the top.

They said that if i was to use it as a wet-dry, then the water should be not be all the way up because the filter is designed to draw air into the filter and make oxygen for the tank. if i was to do a fuge then fill it up but make sure there is enough plant life, algae etc. in there to produce oxygen. i prefer the wet-dry though with the Pura pad, seems less trouble for me. but some tanks do look real awesome running on fuges though.

Cannonball-

I a moving my livestock from the BC29 to Cad 22 this week, painting the back black today (Krylon Fusion).

Just curious to how high you are running your water level. During my leak test of the Cad 22 it appears you could really run the rear as a wet-dry or fully wet (for fuge, LR pile, ect) depending on the amount of water you put in the tank.

Archived