Cultivated Reef

PhatSOB's Pico

PhatSOB

Where exactly do you live if you dont mind me asking PhatSOB. I am trying to get myself a wooden home made hood for my 2g but Im incollege so I dont have a vast amount of powertools or wood available to me. Thanks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where exactly do you live if you dont mind me asking PhatSOB. I am trying to get myself a wooden home made hood for my 2g but Im incollege so I dont have a vast amount of powertools or wood available to me. Thanks.

check this guy out LINK

Tentacles - I live in PEI, Canada - East Coast if you are not familiar. I have just about all the power tools I need and every Canadian Tire flyer that comes I get even closer to having everything. ;) If you do want something built let me know and I can look into it for you. I am no carpenter but when I want something to look good I go for it. ATM my only draw backs are money, not having a belt sander, and my only acess to a table saw is at my parents house 30 min away. My little 10" mitre saw(soon to be a 10" slider) will only cut so much(~6").

I did my first water change tonight, a whole 2 cups. I also bought a wire brush today and scrubed the crap out of the rocks I had to get the hair algae off them. Looking at them right now there are a couple of tiny pieces left but hopefully they will die off. I also built an ATO using the Sun tea jar method. It works amazing in my tests in the bathroom using a cup so I hope I can do the same in the tank. Just waiting fro the silicone to dry over night and I shold have it set up tomorrow. Here is what it looks like.

63oz Jar $1 at dollar store

20' 3/8" ID tubing $8 from HD

4' air line tubing $0 had it already

tiny bit of silicone

5 minutes to drill the holes, insert the tubing and silicone around the tubing

pico%20010.jpg

for anyone that wants to try this the top line must be larger than 1/4" or else it sucks water all the way back up, I read the instructions and thought that I could use 1/2" ID tubing for a few inches and then air line tubing the rest of the way. Nope no good. You need I would say atleast 3/8" ID for the top line the whole way.

well the ATO overflowed my tank the other night and needless to say I took it out. I will go back to daily top offs until I can find something more effective and controlable.

This morning I added some moonlighting LEDs that I got off eBay.

pico%20013.jpg

The LEDs were $15 for 4 sets of 3 plus $6 shipping, there is one set of 3 over this tank and 3 sets of 3 over my 10g. It is definately worth it I think, you should see the colors of the corals in my other tank under these lights. The only thing is they don't come with a power supply, any 9 or 12v powersupply would work but I didn't have one around so I picked one up at the Source. It is so much better for watching what is going on then shining a flash light in there.

well I got bored and did a water test tonight and still no sign of any cycle so I added a small rock with some small mushrooms on it.l One of them spit his guts out but has since pulled most of them back in. I'll have to see how they do before anything else goes in.

well I got bored and did a water test tonight and still no sign of any cycle so I added a small rock with some small mushrooms on it.l One of them spit his guts out but has since pulled most of them back in. I'll have to see how they do before anything else goes in.

PICS!!!!! please.

hope the mushrooms get better.

Can you measure how wide the AC is from left to right, please? i want to add one to mine just like yours but i dont know if it will fit with the 2 fans.

the AC200 is 7" side to side,

I' think they will be ok, the one in the front right is the one that spit his guts out, you can see what he still has left to gobble back up, that is nothing compared to what was hanging out.

pico%20014.jpg

well the mushrooms seemed to be doing very good today. they all opened up and the one tha tspit his insides out had them all back inside pretty much before I finished posting that last post about it. Today I set up my webcam to produce a live stream onto the net. There isn't much to see atm but you can check it out anyways.

PicoCam

I have seen some overflows with holes cut in the middle and lower parts of the overflow wall... this may help prevent it from getting to low and sucking in air.

That web cam is awsome! I have to get one so I can look at my tank all day long!!!!

yeah a hole just above the bottom of the filter intake wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't think I am going to worry about it for now though, I don't want to get into drilling underwater. ;)

The camera is pretty cool, it has infrared LEDs on it so it can view anything in the dark, however the moonlights are on when the main lights are off so the infrared isn't really needed.

I have seen some overflows with holes cut in the middle and lower parts of the overflow wall... this may help prevent it from getting to low and sucking in air.

that hole idea sounds kool. i would love to do that. right now im filling it up a cup when i go to bed and a cup when i get home from school. it gets kinda annoying and if we ever go away for the weekend ill be in big trouble.

Nice looking piCo thusfar! I will tag this thread for some inspiration for a tank I hope to set up soon. I want to do a pico at work when I get back from Australia, and I found a sweet cube tank here that I think I have to buy...

Thanks for linkage to that vacupressure overflow, I am going to try that with my next tank and even think about integrating it into my current 20 gallon, but I will need a bigger resovoir for that!

thanks for following along jafoca.

a day or 2 ago I added a margarita snail to help the 2-3 little tiny ones that I tossed in a few weeks ago. today I tossed in the colt frag that I made a month ago and a hermit crab to pick a tthe little bits of HA. tonight he seems more interested in scaling the glass then anything else. I am going to try and get a few decent pics tomorrow

nice colt! i like it. the one hermit i have in my tank does the same thing. it climbs towards the top of the tank by holding onto the silicone, then it falls down. nice tank. its coming along great!

thanks, that is my first successful coral that I fragged :)

the hermit was at the top of the tank and back down all last night, every few minutes I would hear a click and there he was lying on his shell upside down.

those zoa have been that white bleached color since I got them a month ago, have tried them in several places in my 10g and they stayed taht same color and so far in this tank they are staying the same again. starting to think that they are actually greyish white in the center.

The mushrooms are doing pretty good, it is nice that they are still small. Once they get bigger they are going to fill a good part of the tank.

I hope the snail and the hermit can stay on top of teh cleaning for now, I don't have much else to go in there.

I picked up a RO/DI unit today, should be here next week along with a TDS meter. It is going to be nice to have full control over my water.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived