Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PhatSOB's Pico

PhatSOB

and here it is all together and with lights installed. I'll give everything a few days to dry and set up and will have it cycling by the end of the weekend

reef%20149.jpg

reef%20150.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
noobwithatank
and here it is all together and with lights installed. I'll give everything a few days to dry and set up and will have it cycling by the end of the weekend

reef%20149.jpg

reef%20150.jpg

dont wanna sound rude.. but with the giant top on that.. it looks.. well kinda funny.. hav u thought about building a small stand type thing.. to match the top.. an to push the tank up some?

it may have a small base eventually but I only have about 2" above the canopy to move it up. I am not too worried about it having a big top, with 40w and lots of heat in that canopy there needs to be a little breathing room, not to mention the tank itself is only 7" tall

tank is filled and just waiting for the water to clear up a bit, I should have some pics up later on tonight when I get home from work.

I had some problems with the overflow when first filled, turned out I didn't have the grooves deep enough. Water was right at the top of the tank when it was running. I got the dremmep out and made them a bit deeper. Water is still only a 1/4" below the top of the tank but I think it should be ok. If I find I am getting a lot of salt creep during the cycle I will drain it and make the grooves a bit deeper again.

I know it is huge but for now I am going to leave it. If I don't have any temp problems I can run it through a table saw and take a few inches off it without needing to rebuild. It really doesn't look that bad when you are sitting here but I know where you are coming from. I'll make sure that future pics are only of the tank ;)

Travis - I can't use that light b/c my tank is only 11" wide. havingit overhang would look worse then my giant canopy.

yeah possibly, my whole reasoning for setting up this tank though was that I had everything needed except the $10 tank. I already had the filter and lights and wasn't going to need to spend much extra on anything. Its too bad you guys don't like the canopy, like I said if I don't have any heat issues when the lights come on I may consider chopping up to 2" off the top with the table saw, that should still give me just enough room to keep the lights still above the filter.

well after its first full 8 hours with the lights on and the fan running, from what I can tell( I was at work but got home just as the lights were going out) the temp never went above 79º(this is what I had the heater set at this AM before I left for work). Next chance I get I will be taking the cover to my dads and running it through the table saw to chop off a couple of inches. Thanks for talking me into it guys, I just hope that with the light that much closer I don't end up with a heat issue.

reef%20151.jpg

very nice tank. i like that tank. it looks like you did a good job on siliconing that in. it looks a lot better than mine, haha.

thanks rleon

well I chopped 1.5" off and now have it back up and running again. it isn't a lot smaller but it is a bit and is now smaller than the tnak itself ;)

pico%20004.jpg

pico%20005.jpg

temps are still stable with the smaller canopy but I am going to need an ATO. Currently having to add 1 cup a day to top off and the overflow will probably only hold maybe 1.5 cups before the filter starts sucking air.

I can't cut any more off or I will have the lights sitting almost in the water. I do have the piece that I cut off the cover that I am going to make into the base though. The cover is big but it is staying as is.

I'm a sucker for peer pressure, here it is with a little base.

pico%20009.jpg

I am not going to rush it. Perhaps next week or the week after, I haven't even done a water test yet to see where the cycle is. It probably isn't going to have too much of a cycle anyways, the rock was out of my other tank for about 5 seconds before it went into this one.

I really need to get an ATO working on this tank soon. I think I am going to go with the sun tea container idea, just need to hit up the dollar store and find the container and a bit of tubing.

o. thats pretty kool. i like the fact that its not expensive. i would like to do that but i dont have any where to hide the jar. hope this goes good for you.

Archived