Pod Your Reef

2 ID's please, if you can

Goby Dick

Hi, first , on the glass there's around 5 of these... or at least there was till I cleaned it!

post-22001-1158608391_thumb.jpg

Second, on my LR. Around 5-6mm tall. Hydroids?

post-22001-1158608486_thumb.jpg

Any action required in either case?

Thanks, Ade.

Both are hydroids. Removal of the ones on the glass would be tough. Try and get rid of the ones on the rock if you can. You could use tweezers. Some people have also said to use superglue gel over top of them.

Are all hydroids bad / invasive / a PITA then? I was just reading a diving page that claimed that on a real reef pretty much any 'bare' surface that doesn't have corals is covered in hydroids.

I just noticed the same type in a pretty inaccessible back-of-a-rock sort of place... eradication would be more than a challenge.

Ade.

If they are out of the way and not actually touching one of your corals then it's not as bad. They could still spread from that spot, but those not touching anything don't directly do any harm.

DementedLullaby

Hydroids to me were part of the tanks cycle. I had a lot at one point but they've died off to near undetectable levels. I notice more and more dissapear daily.

• 3 weeks later...

Angel: Thanks for the link... so I have crawling jellyfish!

The other hydroids have gone; eaten or died (or both...) but then they were a sitting target.

DementedLullaby: Your cycle theory seems to fit because as one lot go...

The next colony of what I think are another hydroid species to turn up are truly hitchhikers...

post-22001-1160250014_thumb.jpg

These are 'proper' little polyps. All my snails have them and don't seem bothered.

Ade.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

those "crawling jellyfish" actually swim. (the ones on the glass) if you look real close at the surface of the water, you might be lucky enough to see one. they swim just like a jellyfish.

Archived