ReefCleaners.org

Oceanic BioCube 29 G - Poor Design

bp1829

I have a 14 gal biocube. Before I got my live rock it was making a lot of water noise with no bioballs in the 2nd chamber. I added live rock to the 2nd chamber based on recommendations I read here. After this there was no noise since the water was not free falling. I was told by someone at Oceanic that water levels can be run higher than the max level. The water level cannot go down to the min level before it begins sucking air and blowing bubbles. The reason I contacted Oceanic was because I had a fan making some noise. I found out that it was slightly rubbing the wires. When I moved the wires the noise stopped.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would open up between one and two anyways.... even if I was using the bioballs still.... I think you can pull them, add some LR and fill the second and third chambers up some..... Try filling them up over the "MAX" line and see how it goes...

Now to shake up the conversation a little . . . add the new Sapphire Aquatics BC29 protein skimmer to the second chamber and PRESTO! You now have a whole new set of twist and turns for the water levels in chambers 2 and 3! Funny enough, the water pouring over from chamber 1 pours down the side of the skimmer and virtually removes the falling water sound. But then you get the sound of the skimmer working. Plus, the space between the chamber 1 wall and the skimmer is a nice media sock stuffing place! But I will say this, I love the skimmer! It does a good job, but you do have to make sure your water is at the "maximum" line so you don't run the skimmer pump dry. I do like the BC 29 tank and really haven't had too much problem with it. I am going to add an automatic RO/DI top off to help keep levels and such more stable.

here we go i will try and not sound like an a** but we all know the stock filter is a piece of s***, the Bio-balls just have to go unless you like nitrates. and the noise just fill the second chamber to just below the skimmer plate and add some filter floss and you got one hell of a tank. That is just my feelings on this tank. I LOVE IT!

post-22802-1167181480_thumb.jpg

I'm a noob and this is my first SW tank. I've had it cycling now for about 2.5 weeks and really haven't had any problems. When I put in the LS it clouded up the tank and the filter but after I replaced it there hasn't been any problems with air bubbles. I usually keep it at max or about a half inch above but I've noticed the condition of your filter has a huge effect on the water level gauge. My plan is to start with a FOWLR setup. I've been reading alot of negative stuff on the bio balls and will need to do some research into why that is? Anyhow I'm glad to see some BC29 specific threads. Right now I'm going to run stock and learn all I can before modifying it.

I'm a noob and this is my first SW tank. I've had it cycling now for about 2.5 weeks and really haven't had any problems. When I put in the LS it clouded up the tank and the filter but after I replaced it there hasn't been any problems with air bubbles. I usually keep it at max or about a half inch above but I've noticed the condition of your filter has a huge effect on the water level gauge. My plan is to start with a FOWLR setup. I've been reading alot of negative stuff on the bio balls and will need to do some research into why that is? Anyhow I'm glad to see some BC29 specific threads. Right now I'm going to run stock and learn all I can before modifying it.

because they hold nitrates. you will need to go with some miroalge in the first chamber, you can add a mod and put a low light back there. then in the second chamber put live rock rubble than in the third your pump and your heater.

I hacked up my tank today, added a light behind the second chamber and, until I can get some live rock rubble, I'm using the bioballs as media in my refugium (along with chaeto algae). I also replaced the stock pump with a MaxiJet 1200 (I know they're not as good as a Rio, but it's what I have for now).

It's amazing how much more water that tank holds when you flood those chambers! No more pump running dry for me. :)

• 1 year later...
I own a recently purchased 29G BioCube and the filter is not functioning. If I put the filter cartridge in chamber one, the water eventually drains out of chamber three and the tank fills up with air. I have visually inspected everything in the filter assembly for blockage (tank is only 2 weeks old) and it seems to be fine. My LFS suggested that I do not slide the filter cartridge in the slot in chamber one, but leave it loose to improve the flow. That works for a couple of hours, but then chamber three drains too low. I should also state that in order to get the filter to work at all, I have to keep the water level so high that fish keep getting in the filter assembly.

In addition, the fans on the hood are very loud. This is my second hood (first one was defective) so I am sure that it has to do with the quality of fans in the hood. I have tried for days to contact Oceanic, but their phone number and email are always busy. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than me scrapping the tank and losing $400?

I have been an aquarium enthusiast for 30 years. I love my biocube - I use it for fresh water. The third chamber is supposed to be almost empty. It is the reservoir for the pump. On the left side of the tank is a small window to indicate the level of the water. If the tank level drops you need to add more or you'll get a lot of bubbles and noise from the reservoir. The fluorescent lights do make some noise because of the fan but it is otherwise silent. The blue lights or moon lights might be all that you need when you want quiet. My only complaint is the price of the replacement filters but I have found online discounts.

Good Luck.

I have been an aquarium enthusiast for 30 years. I love my biocube - I use it for fresh water. The third chamber is supposed to be almost empty. It is the reservoir for the pump. On the left side of the tank is a small window to indicate the level of the water. If the tank level drops you need to add more or you'll get a lot of bubbles and noise from the reservoir. The fluorescent lights do make some noise because of the fan but it is otherwise silent. The blue lights or moon lights might be all that you need when you want quiet. My only complaint is the price of the replacement filters but I have found online discounts.

Good Luck.

2 years later??????? and bad advice at that!!!

Archived