Top Shelf Aquatics

Oceanic BioCube 29 G - Poor Design

bp1829

I own a recently purchased 29G BioCube and the filter is not functioning. If I put the filter cartridge in chamber one, the water eventually drains out of chamber three and the tank fills up with air. I have visually inspected everything in the filter assembly for blockage (tank is only 2 weeks old) and it seems to be fine. My LFS suggested that I do not slide the filter cartridge in the slot in chamber one, but leave it loose to improve the flow. That works for a couple of hours, but then chamber three drains too low. I should also state that in order to get the filter to work at all, I have to keep the water level so high that fish keep getting in the filter assembly.

In addition, the fans on the hood are very loud. This is my second hood (first one was defective) so I am sure that it has to do with the quality of fans in the hood. I have tried for days to contact Oceanic, but their phone number and email are always busy. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than me scrapping the tank and losing $400?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EEK-

Sorry to hear about your trouble, there are several 29g biocube owners here and hopefully they will weigh in .

I'm going back and forth between the Oceanic 29g, AP24 HQI, or Cadlights 22 myself...

bp1829.... Sorry to hear your having problems. I own the 29 gal. Biocube. One of the thigs that I and other cube owners have done to improve flow is to cut the opening between chambers 1 & 2 and make it wider. You don't need to make it any deeper than it is already, just make it wider. Here is a link that shows how br1910 does it, with pics.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...94795&st=20

As far as noisy hood fans go, I don't hardly hear mine at all. My computer fans are louder so they might be drowning out the hood fan noise. Hope this info helps. ;)

Mullman and Basser 1,

Thanks for your replies. I will review the chamber post about cutting the chamber opening wider and decide what to do. I sure wish I could get a hold of Oceanic though?

Mullman and Basser 1,

Thanks for your replies. I will review the chamber post about cutting the chamber opening wider and decide what to do. I sure wish I could get a hold of Oceanic though?

What do you have in the 2nd Chamber? Did you remove the BioBalls and fill it with LR? I filled mine with LR and I was having some low water levels in chamber 3 and found that a peice of LR was sitting too tight against the passthrough hole into chamber 3. YOu may want to check that out.

What do you have in the 2nd Chamber? Did you remove the BioBalls and fill it with LR? I filled mine with LR and I was having some low water levels in chamber 3 and found that a peice of LR was sitting too tight against the passthrough hole into chamber 3. YOu may want to check that out.

Thanks for your response. I have the bio balls in chamber 2. That is why I cannot understand why I am having so many problems. It seems like everyone else loves these cubes. I am sorry I bought mine. In addition, I do not like that I cannot contact the manufacturer.

Thanks for your response. I have the bio balls in chamber 2. That is why I cannot understand why I am having so many problems. It seems like everyone else loves these cubes. I am sorry I bought mine. In addition, I do not like that I cannot contact the manufacturer.

Remove the Bio Balls, they dont serve any beneficial purpose in a salt water tank and can actually do damage. Take out the balls, see how your flow is and if its still bad I would check to see if anything is obstructing the return pump.

When you say you have to add so much water that the fish can get into the filter area? How far from the top of the filtration system is the water currently at? Because mine is basically at the very top as it should be.

Dont worry about the manufacturer, you will find more assistance on this forum :)

Remove the Bio Balls, they dont serve any beneficial purpose in a salt water tank and can actually do damage. Take out the balls, see how your flow is and if its still bad I would check to see if anything is obstructing the return pump.

When you say you have to add so much water that the fish can get into the filter area? How far from the top of the filtration system is the water currently at? Because mine is basically at the very top as it should be.

Dont worry about the manufacturer, you will find more assistance on this forum :)

Thanks again. The water level is about 1 inch below the black rim of the tank when the filter is not running. When I plug in the filter the water level rises right to the rim of the filter area. That is why the fish are getting into the filter. Also, I have cleaned out all three chambers on two different occasions looking for something that may be blocking the flow. There is nothing that I can see.

Thanks again. The water level is about 1 inch below the black rim of the tank when the filter is not running. When I plug in the filter the water level rises right to the rim of the filter area. That is why the fish are getting into the filter. Also, I have cleaned out all three chambers on two different occasions looking for something that may be blocking the flow. There is nothing that I can see.

i will have to keep a very close eye on this post as i am looking forward to buying a an oceanic, or i may wait until redsea unvails their new 29 bio cube with a built in skimmer B):D

yeah im tagging along on this one too... my parents want to set one up in my dads doctors office. i really like the design. anyone know when the new 29 is coming with the built in skimmer? also anyone know where to find this tank online?

Try removing the sponge at the bottom of chamber three, where the water comes in from chamber two. Mine plugged up the first week.

Also the water level in the tank, does level out at the top of the back wall. I haven't added fish yet, but I do see that some thing is going to be done to prevent the fish from taking the jump into the filter area.

I didn't see if you said did the water in the third chamber go to normal when the filter is removed.

-B

Try removing the sponge at the bottom of chamber three, where the water comes in from chamber two. Mine plugged up the first week.

Also the water level in the tank, does level out at the top of the back wall. I haven't added fish yet, but I do see that some thing is going to be done to prevent the fish from taking the jump into the filter area.

I didn't see if you said did the water in the third chamber go to normal when the filter is removed.

-B

I did remove the sponge in chamber 3 and made sure it was clean. It was spotless, but I cleaned it anyway. I have only had the tank for 2 weeks now. If I remove the filter from chamber 1, the water in chamber 3 will rise to slightly below the max line. I am totally confused. It should not be this difficult for an all-in-one tank.

I did remove the sponge in chamber 3 and made sure it was clean. It was spotless, but I cleaned it anyway. I have only had the tank for 2 weeks now. If I remove the filter from chamber 1, the water in chamber 3 will rise to slightly below the max line. I am totally confused. It should not be this difficult for an all-in-one tank.

No it shouldnt. Hrmm. Im trying to figure this one out. heres another series of questions:

Did you remove the Bio Balls?

Do you have the Skimmer grating thingy that sits above the middle chamber on correctly?

When You have the pump on, the filter in, the bio balls out, where does the water level stand in the third chamber? Is it between the min and max markings?

You said if the filter is out, then your water level is just below the max marking in the third chamber. Thats pretty much good, you could just add some purigen filter media bags ontop of the skimmer grating thingy in the 2nd chamber.

No it shouldnt. Hrmm. Im trying to figure this one out. heres another series of questions:

Did you remove the Bio Balls?

Do you have the Skimmer grating thingy that sits above the middle chamber on correctly?

When You have the pump on, the filter in, the bio balls out, where does the water level stand in the third chamber? Is it between the min and max markings?

You said if the filter is out, then your water level is just below the max marking in the third chamber. Thats pretty much good, you could just add some purigen filter media bags ontop of the skimmer grating thingy in the 2nd chamber.

Actually, the water is between the min and max markings without the pre-filter cartrige in. I will try and remove the bio balls over the weekend and see what that does. The skimmer grating in the second chamber is in their correctly. I did try some purigen filter media bags ontop of the skimmer already but the water does not always flow through it entirely. Also, I do not think it should be this difficult. Is this a poor design or am I the only one with these issues?

I own a smaller version of the same tank. I do not think modding your tank is the answer. It should work properly stock. From your descriptions so far I am not sure it is not working properly.

HOW THE TANK WORKS

1) When the filter is off the water level in the main tank will lower about an inch below the black rim. This is as designed. I like this because it makes it easy to clean or get my hands in there without overflowing the tank.

2) When the pump is running the third chamber should have the water level at the max line. The water level in the tank should be near the top. When you turn the pump off the water will drain from the main tank into the third chamber.

SOME IDEAS

1) If the water is near the max line when the tank is running you do not have enough water in the tank. This will cause the pump to suck air.

2) Is the tank level from front to back? If the stand or floor is leaning back or even side to side that could affect the water levels. Check with a level. Also look at the water around the rim it should be around. You could also turn the pump off and measure the distance between the water and the rim at the four courners to make sure it is the same.

3) The water should be near the top of the barrier between the main tank and the filter area but not over it. There is a rim that goes all around inside the main tank. My water level is right at this rim. The false wall separating the chambers is a little higher.

4) Just curious but what kind of fish do you have? Are you sure they are jumping over the top and not swimming through the grate? If you only find them in the first chamber that is a possibility.

5) If your only problem is fish jumping over the top couldn't you make some sort of small barrier there? Are you sure the hood is on properly? When my hood is closed it does not look like there is much of a gap at the back where the fish could jump over the barrier.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I own a smaller version of the same tank. I do not think modding your tank is the answer. It should work properly stock. From your descriptions so far I am not sure it is not working properly.

HOW THE TANK WORKS

1) When the filter is off the water level in the main tank will lower about an inch below the black rim. This is as designed. I like this because it makes it easy to clean or get my hands in there without overflowing the tank.

2) When the pump is running the third chamber should have the water level at the max line. The water level in the tank should be near the top. When you turn the pump off the water will drain from the main tank into the third chamber.

SOME IDEAS

1) If the water is near the max line when the tank is running you do not have enough water in the tank. This will cause the pump to suck air.

2) Is the tank level from front to back? If the stand or floor is leaning back or even side to side that could affect the water levels. Check with a level. Also look at the water around the rim it should be around. You could also turn the pump off and measure the distance between the water and the rim at the four courners to make sure it is the same.

3) The water should be near the top of the barrier between the main tank and the filter area but not over it. There is a rim that goes all around inside the main tank. My water level is right at this rim. The false wall separating the chambers is a little higher.

4) Just curious but what kind of fish do you have? Are you sure they are jumping over the top and not swimming through the grate? If you only find them in the first chamber that is a possibility.

5) If your only problem is fish jumping over the top couldn't you make some sort of small barrier there? Are you sure the hood is on properly? When my hood is closed it does not look like there is much of a gap at the back where the fish could jump over the barrier.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the detailed response. Everyone is so helpful on this post, it really is beneficial to us newbies.

The water level is halfway between the max and min lines if I remove the pre-filter cartridge. If I leave the cartridge in, the water level is below the min line and I get a tank full of air.

The one thing that I did not try was adding more water. I thought that since the water level was right at the filter rim (when the filter is running) that I had the correct amount of water in the tank. I will also recheck the level. I believe that my tank is level, but I will double check. When the pump is off, my water level is about an inch below the rim, but maybe I just need to add more water.

Hopefully this will work. I will keep you posted.

Bryan

chuckfullservice

Yes I had the same problem , it took me about an hour to figure out to add more water , the tank has to be filled up to the lowwer edge of the top plastic It is kinda scary but that will fix the problem!

Hey Guys - I have the same problem. I actually started a thread on this at reefcentral about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=925089

Anyway I agree, I shouldn't have to do any mods to this tank. Please let me know if there is anyway solution to this, and your right oceanic customer service is HORRIBLE.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread regarding this but did anyone install a 2nd pump into there 29g BioCube kinda like the Maxijet 900? I am thinking about adding a pump and placing it into one of the chambers so you cant see it.

Thanks,

Rob

Newbie - 29g BioCube

Hey Guys - I have the same problem. I actually started a thread on this at reefcentral about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=925089

Anyway I agree, I shouldn't have to do any mods to this tank. Please let me know if there is anyway solution to this, and your right oceanic customer service is HORRIBLE.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread regarding this but did anyone install a 2nd pump into there 29g BioCube kinda like the Maxijet 900? I am thinking about adding a pump and placing it into one of the chambers so you cant see it.

Thanks,

Rob

Newbie - 29g BioCube

Rob,

Thanks for proving that I am not nuts. Have you been able to solve your problem or are you running the tank without the pre-filter cartridge? Also, do you find that your fans are noisy?

Bryan

I have found that the grill that holds the bioballs in place dislodges itself and moves out of the way. You may want to remove all the bio balls and the grill and see how the flow is then. Also, check your sponge to make sure there is nothing blocking the flow. Make sure your prefilter is in the correct slot (slot closest to the back). There should be enough water in the tank so that it slightly spills over the top of the prefilter.

Rob,

Thanks for proving that I am not nuts. Have you been able to solve your problem or are you running the tank without the pre-filter cartridge? Also, do you find that your fans are noisy?

Bryan

Ok - I just called Oceanic at 800-255-4527 and they mentioned that this is how the tank was setup. The Technician said the tank has to be perfectly level and that the water line should come up to the chambers. He also mentioned to keep adding water into the tank not the chambers and you will eventually be at the level you need to be. I'm not sure if this is right - Is the level suppose to be that high in comparisson to the skimmer? The skimmer is 1 3/4 inches in height. The water passes through it with only an 1/8th of an opening at the top. Once again this is my first tank so bare with me.

Please note that the distance between the minimum line and the maximum line is 2 inches. With the water level being this high the level in the chamber is 1/4 inch above minimum.

post-22298-1158351264_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350838_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350853_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350863_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350871_thumb.jpg

Ok - I just called Oceanic at 800-255-4527 and they mentioned that this is how the tank was setup. The Technician said the tank has to be perfectly level and that the water line should come up to the chambers. He also mentioned to keep adding water into the tank not the chambers and you will eventually be at the level you need to be. I'm not sure if this is right - Is the level suppose to be that high in comparisson to the skimmer? The skimmer is 1 3/4 inches in height. The water passes through it with only an 1/8th of an opening at the top. Once again this is my first tank so bare with me.

Please note that the distance between the minimum line and the maximum line is 2 inches. With the water level being this high the level in the chamber is 1/4 inch above minimum.

post-22298-1158351264_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350838_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350853_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350863_thumb.jpg

post-22298-1158350871_thumb.jpg

That water level is how mine is, and how the one at the lfs is as well, it was made like this. Just keep adding water until the level in the 3rd chamber is at max. Thats just the way its supposed to be.

Widening the opening from the first chamber to the second chamber will help you problem. The water level in the display area will drop about 3/16 of an inch. ( It did in mine at least )

-B

I watched this thread for last 2 days .... From my perspective the BioCube design is really good considering the size of the bulkhead and the chambers relative to the tank itself ...... I have yet to see any serious problems other that the bio balls are useless to anyone who is going to use the tank for saltwater ..... Ive had the biocube running for about 7 weeks now and I didn't decide to mod chamber 1 until I added a larger pump 2 weeks ago .... the prefilter sponge was so porous I almost threw it out upon opening the tank .... I don't really see how it could be blocking your water flow unless your somehow getting the sponge itself into the intake on your pump..... I will recommend this however, the Biocube carbon/filter cartridge is a poor design and even if you dont mod your chamber's flow rate I'd get rid of the cartridge and replace it with a product called Seagel or just a sock of carbon by itself .... the seagel is nice as it has phosguard mixed in with it so it with help lowering phosphates if that ever becomes a problem .... Seachem sells Purigen and Seagel in large containers or it comes in its own pouch if you dont have filter bags ... the cost at my LFS was around $6 a piece for the Seagel and $8 for the purigen ..... I think the oceanic replacement pads are over 10 bucks and they block so much flow that they casue more problems then anything ...plus purigen and seagel can be cleaned and reused for upto 4-6 months whereas you have to replace the other once a month

WOW did you say ten buck for that OEM filter?

Hey I still have my original, Never been used..... Yours for 7.50 (plus shipping of course...) :P

Purigen good stuff

-B

Archived