inTank Media Baskets

Plastic frag tank ok?

musicawal

So I've been wanting to set up a frag tank for a while now since I have a bunch of extra equipment laying around, the only thing is it had to be budget minded. I was at target yesterday and saw a storage container from sterilite that was a good size about 34x20x14 and was only 9.99. I have a skimmer from Suncoast Custom Acrylic inc, a new 175w mh retro with 20k xm that will probably be switched for something more around 14-15k, I also have a red sea wavemaster and 2 maxi 1200's which I'll prob get 1-2 more of. Now the plan is for simplicity and I'm not too worried about asthetics. I bought a beautiful 10 pound piece of fiji yesterday at my LFS who was having a big sale for $25. I planned on having about 10-12 inches on the left side used for the filtration where the skimmer the rock and some macros would go along with a bag of some chemical filtration. The rest of the tank would consist of prob 2-3 eggcrate racks for corals. Let me know what you experienced fragger's think about this setup or if the plastic tank will even work.

Thanks

The problem with the plastic totes is they arent designed to hold water for an extended period of time. Id put at least 2 totes inside each other to make the tank stronger or Id look into the heavy duty rubbermaid containers

Yeah i was afraid of that. I guess I should of thought about that before i went ahead and bought it. The stand I have is 36x24 so wouldn't I be able to fit a 40b on there? If yes how much do those usually go for?

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys, unfortunately the tote I bought was the last one but I think I might just go and see if they can order me another one. This tank will only be up for a year or maybe a couple months more as I will be moving, so I think i will just take the risk with two totes but i think it should be fine and if there are problems I'll just upgrade to the 40b. I'm a little hesitant but will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Just checked rubbermaid prices, might as well get a 40b for those prices.

Two sounds like a good idea. If you truely dont care about aesthetics your could put a couple of rolls of strapping tape (packaging tabs with built in lines of reinforcement) around the bin, also you could throw a pond liner in there for extra precausionary measure. I have always liked the idea of two little blue swimming pools in my living room and a 400w MH, and a ###ed off roomate, and being able to wade in the "ocean".

Thanks for the good ideas guys, but after about 5 mins of thought I decided I might as well just get the 40b. I figure when I move I'll just upgrade my two displays to the 40b and then upgrade the frag tank to a lagoon of some sort. Although i might have to think about the pool idea, I'd have to set up a tiki bar though to counter the ####ed off roomate!

Archived