Cultivated Reef

NEW BioCUBE 8 Setup - PICS, MODS, BEER!

chill105

Chill-

I am expecting my BioCube 8 any day. If the back of the tank blue? Most pics I see are black, but post #13 shows an awesome blue color. If that is a mod, how did you do it?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chill-

I am expecting my BioCube 8 any day. If the back of the tank blue? Most pics I see are black, but post #13 shows an awesome blue color. If that is a mod, how did you do it?

The back is black. The color you see in the pictue is due to the actinic bulb being on.

Chill105-

I was just about to order a mini-jet 606 and a hydor-flo. I thought I would ask you before I order... Do I need any other tubing/pipes to do this mod in the BioCube 8 or will the factory tubing connect to the new pump and hydor-flo just fine? Any other thoughts about this pump or the hydor-flo would be great.

Is your hydor-flo holding up? I read some reviews that say they only last a couple months. Maybe I should get two.

Johnny Deluxe

Hey there

I was wondering the same as Stallen....and also wanted to ask...

1. I have been told not to add Cheato till the cycles done?

2. Chamber 2 in te bio cube fills half way or so....are you able to submerge both live rock and cheato in this small space...

thanks.....

I got my 8 gallon, have switched the lights and tossed the bio balls, i have 8 pounds of LR in the front and rubble in chamber 2 up to the water line

JD

• 2 weeks later...
I love your setup and have done the same thing with my 29BC. It works great! :D

I also have a BC29 and wonders if you take out all the filter cartridge, Bioballs, and the sponge, and only replace with LR rubbles and Cheatos?

Thanks.

I love your setup and have done the same thing with my 29BC. It works great! :D

Hi I'm also trying to do the same thing with my 29 bc. I wanted to make the middle chamber in to a fuge and put some chaeto in there but after I widened the opening between chamber one and two there is still not that much water in chamber two. Probably around 3 or so inches above the bottom plate. Wouldn't there need to be more water in there to put the chaeto?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of posts. Life has been a little hectic.

QUICK UPDATE

Tank is doing fantastic.

Chaeto keeps growing like crazy in the back, and has been keeping my nitrates at 0ppm. My levels are very stable.

The auto water changer has been working exactly as planned. I have it set up now to run 4 weeks at a time without any maintenance.

Auto top-off is dosing Kalkwasser. I go through about 1/2 liter per week.

Got a UPS for the pump- it lasted over 4.5 hours when I tested it. This is one of the last failsafes I can think of. The big test will come when I leave for winter break though (I'll have to give the fish to a friend for safekeeping) :o

NEW ADDITIONS

-Cleaner shrimp. He's really aggressive- hardly hides at all. Extremely entertaining.

-Blastomussa frag. Dark red with neon green centers.

-Acropora efflourescence frag. Testing to see if SPS will do well in this environment.

-Kenya Tree Coral

PICS

Just 2 quick ones. Sorry I don't have time for more!

Blasto:

blasto.jpg

FULL SIZE VERSION HERE

FTS:

FTS_Nov_13.jpg

FULL SIZE VERSION HERE

Enjoy!

Hi I'm also trying to do the same thing with my 29 bc. I wanted to make the middle chamber in to a fuge and put some chaeto in there but after I widened the opening between chamber one and two there is still not that much water in chamber two. Probably around 3 or so inches above the bottom plate. Wouldn't there need to be more water in there to put the chaeto?

For those wondering about the water level in the middle chamber:

I keep the water level in my tank at the very very top of the little level indicator window on the third chamber. This means that both chamber 2 and 3 are about 2/3 full, leaving PLENTY of water for the Chaeto to grow.

Just add more water to your tank to bring the level up.

Hek yeah, I am so glad you put a new pic up. I recently got a 14 gal and it is my first salwater tank ever. I have a bit of practice on my mother in laws 95 gallon but this is my first attempt on my own. I totally love your mods and just ordered a rio 600 for a new pump and the hydor flow. I am in the process of trying to find a light for the refugium as I didn't find anything at Lowes. Your tank is a total inspiration. I totally love it! Oh yeah, and I am so jealous you got an entertaining shrimp. My lil guy hides under my bridge almost all day! Here's a pic, it's surely a work in progress but it is only a week and a half old, my cycling only took 4 days!

post-23487-1163562648_thumb.jpg

Long story short... I ordered my biocube and then found this post online. I had a reef tank for years but moved and am just getting back into the hobby after being out of it for 2 years. I did all the mods you did (except for the auto water changer, still trying to find a pump for less than $150) and here's some quick pics. I've got a deep sand bed of black fiji live sand and ~10lbs of cured liverock (if you include the pieces in the back of the tank). My aquascaping was tough with alot of large pieces but I was able to make alot of little caves, it looks like a blob in the picture but actually there are little rock arms branching off the center making little bridges. I've only had my tank up for 4 days and all of my readings are zero! I'm going to wait a few weeks to make sure I don't get any delayed spikes though before adding anything. The pictures are of my light because that's about the only thing different than your tank. Thanks for all the ideas, your tank is looking great!

undercabinetlightjb2.th.jpg insideoffugedryvr6.th.jpg fugelightmountedwithelegm8.th.jpg day3oftankwithflashli6.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tank, I as well made alot of the same mods to my tank with a couple little tweeks here and there. It's an awesome setup. As for the aquascaping, it is sorta, a practice thing I think. When I put my rock in, for some reason, it always looks a bit non-demensional to me, still tryin to come up with a new set up and my tank has been up and running for over a month now. I did however, start buying corals right away and that makes things more difficult. Good luck.

How do you get the black paint off to mount a fuge light on the outside?

I measured how big the chamber inside the tank was and transfered the measurements to the outside. I marked it with a silver sharpie and then I used a glass scraper blade that I got at lowes for like 96 cents. It scrapes pretty easily but I was careful just incase.

This is my tank...exactly one month old today! My cycling didn't take long so I have lots of new additions.... Check it out...... Yeah, there is still much work to be done and I am tryin to get the aquascaping strait but I think I will take a break for a couple weeks just to let things settle a bit. This set up has been awesome for me. Thanx Chil.

post-23487-1165372313_thumb.jpg

Hey guys. These BC 8's look really awsome. I currently have a BC 29, but i am geeting an BC 8 for my office. I 'm thinking of making it a Shroom Palace. nothing but shrooms. lol. Any way i have a few questions for ya. My BC 29 has been running for about 2 months. I was thinking of adding a fuge like on the 8 i was just wondering if it was okay to add one now that everything is runing, you know would it mees anything else up? also With the pump, the umm 606 how many gph is that?

Thanks a lot

p.s. i will start a thread of my progress once i get the tank.

MJ 606 is 154 GPH. Add the fuge anytime you want. I have another fuge light set up on my BC8 take a look at my thread if you'd like to see some more mods/ideas for this tank. Check out page 2!

I've added an autotopoff to my BC8 now but I'm running into a couple of problems with my tank:

- it was running hot last week when ambient temp was around 78 the tank was around 84 (happens during the day so I dont think its the heat from the refugium light)

- lots of annoying microbubbles from my 606 powerhead, not sure how to get rid of them

- got an ICA chiller but am still deciding how/where to install it to stabilize temperature

Anyone else experiencing bubbles/temp spikes?

• 1 month later...

The pictures are of my light because that's about the only thing different than your tank. Thanks for all the ideas, your tank is looking great!

undercabinetlightjb2.th.jpg

What kind of light is this and where did you buy it? I had bad luck with an LED that is only producing enough light to keep the cheato alive. Thanks much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Chill,

Wanted to send a thank you and some props for the idea on the fuge... I did a similar thing with a ceiling fan electric box.

You can check out my thread. (I still have a lonnggg way on my tank till it gets to the way yours looks though.. if it does.. yours looks unreal!!). Should have my cheato within the next few days!

501617171_065d15994b_m.jpg

Thanks again!

Archived