Pod Your Reef

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sapphire Aquatics

I will have NC24, NC12, and BC29 models in stock and ready to ship out on Monday of next week. I'll update the website in a couple of days and put up some new pictures as well. Sorry for the delay in production, I have been making jigs and figuring out how to make more efficient use of my time.

Kyle

OK, my NC12 is lightly stocked. I only have two 1-1/2 inch saddleback clowns which I feed 3 spectrum pellets each, everynight. I do NOT feed my corals. I do a 3 1/2 - 4 gallon water change weekly. I blast between my rocks with a turkey baster to clean off detritus before every water change. The skimmer is installed in the first chamber, with the water output facing the left side. There's NO micro-bubbles in the tank. I'm waiting on the AP12 and the BC29, and will be purchasing both models. Here are some pictures. This is 20 hours of skimmate. Hope this helps anyone who's planning to purchase a skimmer from SapphireAquatics.

post-21254-1161133805_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1161133825_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1161133848_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1161134210_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1161134227_thumb.jpg

OK, my NC12 is lightly stocked. I only have two 1-1/2 inch saddleback clowns which I feed 3 spectrum pellets each, everynight. I do NOT feed my corals. I do a 3 1/2 - 4 gallon water change weekly. I blast between my rocks with a turkey baster to clean off detritus before every water change. The skimmer is installed in the first chamber, with the water output facing the left side. There's NO micro-bubbles in the tank. I'm waiting on the AP12 and the BC29, and will be purchasing both models. Here are some pictures. This is 20 hours of skimmate. Hope this helps anyone who's planning to purchase a skimmer from SapphireAquatics.

Peanut - I switched the output to the left side but left the unit in the center chamber. Micro bubles are now a thing of the past and the unit is running quietly. Thanks to both you and Reefin! Mine just needed another day to break in.

FYI - I emailed Kyle at Sapphire with the problem - he responded within 5 hours of my question. Ultra helpful! I am very happy with the skimmer.

I will have NC24, NC12, and BC29 models in stock and ready to ship out on Monday of next week. I'll update the website in a couple of days and put up some new pictures as well. Sorry for the delay in production, I have been making jigs and figuring out how to make more efficient use of my time.

Kyle

Is the AP24 next on the list? fingerscrossed

Your tank looks awesome, Peanut!

Thanks...it put a nice dent in my pockets :lol:

Peanut - I switched the output to the left side but left the unit in the center chamber. Micro bubles are now a thing of the past and the unit is running quietly. Thanks to both you and Reefin! Mine just needed another day to break in.

FYI - I emailed Kyle at Sapphire with the problem - he responded within 5 hours of my question. Ultra helpful! I am very happy with the skimmer.

Glad to hear that your microbubbles has dissapated and that you're very happy with the skimmer. As for noise, I forgot to mention that I filed down the elbow allowing me to push the elbow all the way into the pump.

Update:

I have been running the skimmer now for almost 2 weeks now and I think I have finally got it to where I want it. Early this week I was getting alot of micro bubbles and through trial and error I finally figured it out, if your water level is too high you wont skim well and you will get lots of micro bubbles in the tank. I am now keeping the water level just abit above the overflow from the 2nd chamber to the third, I raised the cup up and I am getting lots of foam. Below is a pic of my skimmate after 8 hours, looks good to me and am happy with the way it skims. I have noticed that the water in the tank seems alot cleaner. Like I said before you can hear the skimmer but if you run with the top on I dont think you will hear it.

Forgot to add when I lowered the water level in the back chambers the micro-bubbles went away.

post-21397-1161224246_thumb.jpg

Update:

I have been running the skimmer now for almost 2 weeks now and I think I have finally got it to where I want it. Early this week I was getting alot of micro bubbles and through trial and error I finally figured it out, if your water level is too high you wont skim well and you will get lots of micro bubbles in the tank. I am now keeping the water level just abit above the overflow from the 2nd chamber to the third, I raised the cup up and I am getting lots of foam. Below is a pic of my skimmate after 8 hours, looks good to me and am happy with the way it skims. I have noticed that the water in the tank seems alot cleaner. Like I said before you can hear the skimmer but if you run with the top on I dont think you will hear it.

Forgot to add when I lowered the water level in the back chambers the micro-bubbles went away.

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you. You're right about the water being cleaner/clearer. It doesn't even look like my tank has water in it, and the fishes is just floating around.

Thanks for the replies from the people using the skimmer. You have me convinced that this item really works and I think I will be placing my order ASAP.

hey guys-

Any current updates???? I'm considering picking this skimmer up for my biocube. But my cube stays around 80-81F. Have any of you guys experienced a temperature raise?

Thanks.

United_Poseidon

I ordered one for my 24DX that should arrive either tomorrow or Saturday. I'll post an update of its performance after the weekend. From what I have read, I am expecting good things.

Malakas07, I assume that if you add any extra pumps to a cube 24 gallons or less, a slight temperature increase is imminent. However the pump that the skimmer is driven by is small so you shouldn't have a problem with it. If you do, it will likely only be a degree or so and there are quick fixes for this. I run a chiller, so I don't forsee a problem in my case. From the other posts, it doesn't look like people have been experiencing problems with it, even with the 12 gallon.

Sapphire Aquatics

stan - The NC24 model is designed to run in 8" of water. The return is higher up to help reduce microbubbles from being returned to the tank, and any less than 8" of water results in splashing. A good option for those looking for an in sump skimmer is the BC29 model since it only requires 3 inches of water surrounding it and will work in a maximum depth of 10" of water. It also uses a stronger pump and is good for up to 50 gallons of total display/sump volume.

Malakas07 - The BC29 model uses a Rio 600 with a venturi kit and might cause a slight increase in temperature, but as United_Poseidon said, probably not much. Chris at nanotuners.com can help you with your temp issues.

Matrexz - The Aquapod 12 and 24 are 2" taller than the Nanocubes and my skimmer will sit completely under water. I plan to release an AP12 and AP24 version as soon as I can find the time to set up my jigs for production.

Malakas07 - The BC29 model uses a Rio 600 with a venturi kit and might cause a slight increase in temperature, but as United_Poseidon said, probably not much. Chris at nanotuners.com can help you with your temp issues.

Nice, Thank you. Do you know when the BC29 skimmers will be out of backorder?

Backorder already? WOW! Did I get one of the first proto types? I feel so...... honored! Mine is in transit and I can't wait to put this bad boy thru its' paces! I'll let you all know how it's goin'.

I wish I had this skimmer when I first started my NC12...I recommend it for all NC12 owners. Here's a couple of pictures of the bubbles in the riser tube/collection cup.

post-21254-1162017758_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1162017772_thumb.jpg

Archived