Pod Your Reef

Snail Egg Pods? (w/pics)

Xavier

These shots were taken of two different snails in my 10g. They were taken at the same time, from two different spots in the tank. They are both positioned exactly over two transparent pods which contains small white spheres. My guess is it's a snail egg pod with individual eggs inside. I noticed one pod had breached today with one of the white spheres moving of it's own transport with a tail (much like a small tadpole).

At the same time two other snails were hanging out together, then moved apart and one crawled over an existing pod of eggs, then crawled off and circled a few times before crawling on again..

Very interesting.. anyone have any other information?

snail1.jpg

snail2.jpg

I'm just curious if they truly are from the snails, or the hydroid jellys that hang around my tank (and my snails just happen to crawl over them)..

• 4 weeks later...
reef hugger

nope, they are from the snails. i used to have them all the time until all of the adult snails became hermit snacks.

Yup.. you are correct.. I did more research after posting and found out that they snail eggs.. I have baby snails all over the place..

Archived