Innovative Marine Aquariums

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

I can only speak from my own experience but I'd suggest giving it some time to settle in. The cleaner shrimp will bug the coral occassionally and make it retract its polyps but this is normal. Are you running any chemical filtration? I've had some negative experiences with running carbon for extend periods of time, for what it's worth.

I'd recommend the 80W upgrade. It's simple to do and it gets you 25% more light.

No chemical filtration. No skimmer. Thanks for the help.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how I haven't saw this thread yet but your tank is what I hope mine to be. You need to send me that black perc. I want one but settled for 2 very pretty percs. Hopefully they live one came home with ich. Garlic has seemed to have a positive impact.

No chemical filtration. No skimmer. Thanks for the help.

My pleasure. Let me know how it goes. I've found that often times the best remedy for leather problems is to leave them alone. They're really hardy and often just need some time.

I don't know how I haven't saw this thread yet but your tank is what I hope mine to be. You need to send me that black perc. I want one but settled for 2 very pretty percs. Hopefully they live one came home with ich. Garlic has seemed to have a positive impact.

Thanks for the complement! There are several tanks on this site that continue to inspire me.

I really like the black and white clowns too. Good luck with the new percs. I've heard good things about garlic and cleaner shrimp seemed to help my flame angel when I first brought him home.

I received the sapphire aquatics skimmer in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, the water level in my rear chambers is too high and I had to take some water out of the tank to make it work. My only return pump is one MJ900 due to temp concerns and it doesn't move enough water to keep the display filled to the rim while keeping the rear chamber low enough to accomodate the skimmer. :( I really don't like the way the display looks with an air gap at the top so I'm working on some different approaches that might address the problem. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me. I'll keep you posted.

I received the sapphire aquatics skimmer in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, the water level in my rear chambers is too high and I had to take some water out of the tank to make it work. My only return pump is one MJ900 due to temp concerns and it doesn't move enough water to keep the display filled to the rim while keeping the rear chamber low enough to accomodate the skimmer. :( I really don't like the way the display looks with an air gap at the top so I'm working on some different approaches that might address the problem. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me. I'll keep you posted.

how is the ica 2.0 working for you?what is your average temperature?

how is the ica 2.0 working for you?what is your average temperature?

It's working fine. I'd say it reduces my temps 3-5 degrees on average.

• 2 weeks later...
Always wonder why people post something like this :huh:

Form of flattery. 99% of people won't mind however knowing that someone enjoys ur tank enough to use it as a background feels good.

Form of flattery. 99% of people won't mind however knowing that someone enjoys ur tank enough to use it as a background feels good.

I am flattered and I don't mind at all. Just make sure I get royalties if any money comes your way because of it ;)

I've taken some updated pictures and should have them posted in the next couple days.

It's been awhile since I've posted an update. I've added the new Sapphire Aquatics skimmer and it appears to be working well. The skimmate is pretty wet and amber in color. I'm still playing around with the height of the collection cup to get the right skimmate consistency. I've also picked up a used Premium Aquatics controller and I'm psyched that I can now have dusk and dawn photo periods.

As promised here are some new pics. Enjoy!

Here's a pic of dawn at Mushroom House. I really love the way some of the coral glow under actinics. Even the tips of my flame angel glow blue.

DecemberFTSDusk.jpg

The xenias were beginning to obstruct the view of the front of the tank so I moved them behind the other coral. I took the opportunity to add a couple new softies.

Here are a couple different shots of my mushroom garden. You'll see a new tangerine and blue yuma as well some daisy polyps that I added behind them. I'm hoping the daisy's will grow up on the rock behind them to provide a nice background for the other coral.

DecemberRicGarden.jpg

DecemberMushroomGarden.jpg

I found a cool mushroom rock with some different species, including mint colored rhodactis, pink hairy mushrooms, and blue mushrooms.

DecemberNewMushrooms.jpg

I've placed them together with some other different colored mushrooms where the xenias used to be.

DecemberLeftSide.jpg

Here's a shot of the top shelf. I'm really happy with the rainbow of colors that I've been able to create.

DecemberTopShelf.jpg

Lastly, I've added some more zoos, including eagle eye and blue-eyed devils. The zoo garden is really filling in nicely.

EagleEye.jpg

DecemberZooGardenFromTheRight.jpg

DecemberZooGarden.jpg

That's all for now. I'll post an FTS under full lighting soon.

Great tank Junkintu just set up a ap24 myself been up for a month! 23lbs of live rock, 20lbs of caribsea arag-alive. all ive done to the tank is upgrade the stock pump to mj 1200 and added an mj900 in side the tank. Read on your post that you upgraded the pc bulbs to 80 watts did you have to replace the stock ballast or are they good for 40 watts? also what bulbs did you use brand and style please would be a great help? I saw current 40 watts 6,700 and 10,000 daylight bulbs the same for actinics are these the ones you used? Also what do you run in the sump some people say not to run the sponge others have removed all sponge, bioballs, and media and just run chemipure some just let the live rock do the filtering any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Danny

This tank is one of the best I have yet to see on this site. :bowdown: I want to use it as a model for my tank. My dream tank was going to be a peaceful reef filled with all sorts of colors like yours. I hope it stays awesome for all to see.

Archived