ReefCleaners.org

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok first off AWSOME TANK.

now im surprised no one else has mentioned this seeing that there are many AP owners. I modded mine ith that hydor flow rotator and theoriginal output on the top left. i had the adaptor and put it on there and saved a ton of space. I dont know if you can do that, but that would get rid of the rio pump and the grey color. as for chemical warfare, I have never had any with my leatehrs, and I have 8 of them in 1 tank my ap24 with 70w halide. Ill take pics oon as my photo skills really suck. keep it up im defiantely folowing along.

Thanks. I decided not to mod my return plumbing when I set up the tank to save myself some DIY work. I don't mind the minijet606 with the hydor. It should be covered with coraline algae in a couple months.

Something cool happened this evening. My shrimps have been naughty while I was away and they both seem to be carrying eggs. One of them jumped on the finger leather and started hanging off of it. Next thing I know the shrimp lifts its tail and expells thousands of tiny larvae/eggs into the water current. Needless to say this natural nutritional supplement created a feeding frenzy for my fish. Pretty cool stuff.

Thank you everyone for checking in on my thread. Stay tuned for more updates. A friend of mine is upgrading his controller and is going to sell it to me at a really reasonable price. I can't wait to start playing with that new toy :)

the frag master
:blush:

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

id love to trade for those blue zoos caus ei haven ever seen them for sale locally. where did you get those? oh i forgot to ask in my last post. what is the lighting, stock or upgraded? how is your flame angel doiing with the polyps as of now, and how big is he, im debating on getting one but dont know if i should. also congrats on the spawning of the shrimp, the corals and fish must have been full lol. keep it up with this tank its awsome.

id love to trade for those blue zoos caus ei haven ever seen them for sale locally. where did you get those? oh i forgot to ask in my last post. what is the lighting, stock or upgraded? how is your flame angel doiing with the polyps as of now, and how big is he, im debating on getting one but dont know if i should. also congrats on the spawning of the shrimp, the corals and fish must have been full lol. keep it up with this tank its awsome.

Thanks again.

I got the Tub's Blue Zoos at Atlantis Aquarium here in the Bay Area. You can buy them online at www.atlantisaquarium.net.

The flame is doing great and hasn't messed with any of my coral but I understand it all depends on the specimen. He's about 2-3 inches and I really like the splash of color that he gives the tank. He also really likes swimming in and out of the rockwork which is cool to watch.

My fav tank on nano reef!

Thanks Twan! I really like your choice of coral in your 12G. Especially those killer watermelon zoos.

Sad news today. It looks like my yuma isn't going to make it. I guess I just don't have the touch for them. The florida rics are doing fine but the yumas always seem to curl up and spit out their guts in my tank :( If it isn't looking any better tomorrow I'll remove it.

I too have had a problem with Ric's.

The one florida I had a few weeks ago died when it detached from the rock it was on. I guess there was too much flow there. The new yuma I have is not opening all the way now too. It goes against everything I been learning about coral placememnt with my other corals but I think im gonna put it in the shade where it gets no flow and see what happens.

It's sad cause ric's are my fav coral.

I too have had a problem with Ric's.

The one florida I had a few weeks ago died when it detached from the rock it was on. I guess there was too much flow there. The new yuma I have is not opening all the way now too. It goes against everything I been learning about coral placememnt with my other corals but I think im gonna put it in the shade where it gets no flow and see what happens.

It's sad cause ric's are my fav coral.

Rics are cool. I like the blue and orange floridas that you have in your tank. I haven't seen that color combo out here in the west coast.

I'll see how the little yuma is doing when I get into work. Hopefully he's made a comeback. fingerscrossed

Unfortunately the little fella was starting to decompose so I removed him from the tank. RIP. I'd really like to add a yuma to my tank someday but I'll need to do some more research to determine what went wrong. :huh:

Dude your tank is amazing! Whats nice about it is not the coral selection, but the color selection. Good mixes of darks and brights.

Aslo, i like how everything is filled in well.

Awesome tank! I am getting more inspired with such tank.

I'm just starting and planning to put lots of mushrooms in my tank. At the moment I have blue and red mushroom, peach and blue ricordea, few of candy canes, flowerpot, blasto. Still looking for other colors of mushrooms and the hairy one. Can't find anything good here in the southbay yet, especially in San Jose.

Thanks all!

Lost my yuma too, sorry to hear you did as well. Funny we both keep those harder listed corals fine but not ric's.

Sorry for your loss too Twan. I'm determined to figure out what I did wrong and have at least one yuma in my tank. Stay tuned.

Dude your tank is amazing! Whats nice about it is not the coral selection, but the color selection. Good mixes of darks and brights.

Aslo, i like how everything is filled in well.

Thanks EricM! I've tried to keep a good variety of colors, textures, and shapes in my tank.

Awesome tank! I am getting more inspired with such tank.

I'm just starting and planning to put lots of mushrooms in my tank. At the moment I have blue and red mushroom, peach and blue ricordea, few of candy canes, flowerpot, blasto. Still looking for other colors of mushrooms and the hairy one. Can't find anything good here in the southbay yet, especially in San Jose.

Good luck with your new tank raleej337! You might want to check out Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell/Saratoga. Atlantis Aquarium (Freemont) and Aquarium Concepts (Hayward) also have an awesome selection in the East Bay.

I posted pics of the dead yuma in my thread.

I still dont know why the 2 corals I lost in 4 months were both ric's (one florida one yuma).

Sorry they didn't make it Twan. I'd still like to add a yuma someday. BTW, nice zoos!

Was your yellow figi leather shipped or picked up locally?

I bought it locally at one of the N-R.com sponsors, Atlantis Aquarium. They do have an online store, www.atlantisaquarium.net.

My yellow fiji has begun to migrate. The weird thing is that it has moved so that it's now further away from the light and almost perpendicular to the substrate. I think it's trying to move away from my finger leather which is up-flow from it. I'm afraid I may have too many leathers in the tank. Has anyone had similar experiences with leathers moving away from each other?

I bought it locally at one of the N-R.com sponsors, Atlantis Aquarium. They do have an online store, www.atlantisaquarium.net.

My yellow fiji has been to migrate. The weird thing is that the yellow has moved so that it's now further away from the light and almost perpendicular to the substrate. I think it's trying to move away from my finger leather which is up-flow from it. I'm afraid I may have too many leathers in the tank. Has anyone had similar experiences with leathers moving away from each other?

I have Figi leather questions myself. I have an AP 24 with the stock lighting. I am running a chiller so I am at a constant 79 degrees. My water quality is perfect. I put the leather in 9 days ago. It sits about half way up in the tank with moderate flow. In the morning before the lights come on it is fully opened and beautiful! When the atinics come on it remains such all the way unitl about noon when it decides to shrinik up. Is this normal behavior at first? I also have a skunk shrimp that loves to hang from it. Could this be irritating it? Is 64 watts not enough light?

Family:- Alcyoniidae

Care Level:- Moderate

Light:- Moderate to High

Water Flow:- Medium

Placement:- All

Tank Conditions:- 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Color Form:- Yellow

Temperament:- Peaceful

Ideal Supplements:- Iodine, Trace Elements, Strontium

Origin:- Fiji

The scientific name for the Yellow Fiji Leather Coral is Sarcophyton elegans Coral. It is found in shades of yellow, and unlike other Sarcophyton corals, it does not grow an extended stalk. Instead, these corals grow close to the rockwork, and develop beautiful ruffles around the edges.

It is a relatively peaceful coral but adequate space should be provided between itself and others in the reef aquarium. Some can produce toxins which are harmful to other reef inhabitants. The Yellow Fiji Leather Coral requires medium to high lighting combined with moderate to strong water movement. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water.

This coral possesses symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body which provides the majority of its nutritional needs from the light driven process of photosynthesis. It will also benefit from additional food such as micro-plankton, baby brine shrimp, or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates.

I have Figi leather questions myself. I have an AP 24 with the stock lighting. I am running a chiller so I am at a constant 79 degrees. My water quality is perfect. I put the leather in 9 days ago. It sits about half way up in the tank with moderate flow. In the morning before the lights come on it is fully opened and beautiful! When the atinics come on it remains such all the way unitl about noon when it decides to shrinik up. Is this normal behavior at first? I also have a skunk shrimp that loves to hang from it. Could this be irritating it? Is 64 watts not enough light?

How long have you had it? It took some time for my yellow to open up and extend it's polyps. Maybe weeks. Once it settled in it stays open for most of the day. Like all leathers, it will shrink up for a day or two ocassionally to slough off some skin but then it opens up again bigger and brighter than ever. IME Polyp extension is the sign that the animal is doing well. I keep mine under 80W PC but I'd imagine 64W should be fine.

How long have you had it? It took some time for my yellow to open up and extend it's polyps. Maybe weeks. Once it settled in it stays open for most of the day. Like all leathers, it will shrink up for a day or two ocassionally to slough off some skin but then it opens up again bigger and brighter than ever. IME Polyp extension is the sign that the animal is doing well. I keep mine under 80W PC but I'd imagine 64W should be fine.

I've had it about 9 days. Since I have the same tank as yours I considered doing the same upgrade to 80 watts. All the LFS say it's not needed for this coral. I have mine placed in pretty much the same spot as yours. I knew you could help since you have had some good experience with this coral.

I've had it about 9 days. Since I have the same tank as yours I considered doing the same upgrade to 80 watts. All the LFS say it's not needed for this coral. I have mine placed in pretty much the same spot as yours. I knew you could help since you have had some good experience with this coral.

I can only speak from my own experience but I'd suggest giving it some time to settle in. The cleaner shrimp will bug the coral occassionally and make it retract its polyps but this is normal. Are you running any chemical filtration? I've had some negative experiences with running carbon for extend periods of time, for what it's worth.

I'd recommend the 80W upgrade. It's simple to do and it gets you 25% more light.

Archived