ReefCleaners.org

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

Here's my routine:

Kent Marine 2 part nano supplement once a week.

Weekly 20% water change.

Feed cyclopeez and frozen formula 1&2 once a week.

Spectrum Thera + soaked in Kent Marine Zoe 3 days a week.

I don't feed on the weekends.

i stopped feeding frozen formula 1 as it added too much phosphates in my tank. just a suggestion, get frozen food without gel binders, rinse with ro/di water, then feed.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i stopped feeding frozen formula 1 as it added too much phosphates in my tank. just a suggestion, get frozen food without gel binders, rinse with ro/di water, then feed.

Thanks EZ. I haven't tested phosphates. What do you feed your tank?

Thanks EZ. I haven't tested phosphates. What do you feed your tank?

u don't want to know...lol

check my ap24 tank thread, the last few postings for my feeding regimen.

u don't want to know...lol

check my ap24 tank thread, the last few postings for my feeding regimen.

WOW! I think I'll stick with my routine and maybe trim down on the frozen F1.

I found a white hitch hiker crab messing with my yellow fiji this morning. He looked like he had embedded himself in the coral's flesh. The yellow was not happy and I freaked so I picked him out and tossed him. Here's a pic. RIP.

IMG_1091.jpg

He was originally all white but he had been out of the water awhile by the time I got around to taking the pic. He didn't appear to be an anemone crab. Possibly a xenia crab. Too bad. I kinda like the idea of having a non-hermit crab in my tank but the dude messed with the wrong coral. :angry:

Something was bothering my devil's hand and xenia. There doesn't appear to be anything picking on them so I decided to take the carbon out of my back chamber to see if they were missing something that was getting filtered out of the water. Sure enough the xenia is pulsing better than it has in a long time and the DH is showing it's polyps again. I had originally started to run carbon to help guard against chemical warfare between my leathers but I guess I'll just stick to 25% water changes.

Has anyone had similar issues with carbon and xenia's?

Here's a pic of the xenia and leathers since I've removed the carbon from my tank. The finger leather still looks a little bummed out but it's definitely an improvement from last week. I guess I'm surprised that carbon had this effect on my soft corals but the results speak for themselves. :huh:

LeatherandXenia.jpg

I was playing around with some macro shots for this month's photo contest. Here are a few of the shots that I took.

Pulsing Xenia

PulsingXenia.jpg

Coco's Pink Zoos

Pink.jpg

Red/Green Brain under actinics

BrainscapeUnderActinics.jpg

I also picked up a mint colored yuma to go with my florida ric collection. At first, I put it with the other rics. Unfortunately, it's not doing so well after 3 days so I've moved it to a shadier spot to see if that makes a difference. Here's a shot when it was still with the other rics.

Rics.jpg

Wow! Nice macros. Any suggestions? Is it all in the camera or just tinkering around? Amazing tank by the way. Very insperational

Thanks possum. My tank is at work so I take lots of pics to enjoy while I'm at home.

I have a Cannon S80. I like it because it's a point and shoot camera that also takes 8 megapixel shots. The higher resolution lets me take wider shots and then trim them down to tighter composition. Hope this helps.

i'd like to see a daylight pic

I hope to take some more pics next week. I picked up a little green polyped toadstool last week and I'm waiting for him to open up.

Thanks! Did you go with the PC or MH version?

I went with the Ap12 with 2x27w PC. I think I found a really fair price for it, $135.00

I'm adding another fan ( Current-usa is sending me another for free) and changing out the pump to a maxi-jet 900 today. Quick question for you, or any else who owns a AP, how do you remove the hood from the tank to work on it?

My tank is reading 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates and it's only been 10 days, all my rock was re-cured, plus I added some rock to the back and in the main tank from my existing tank. Gonna add a clean up crew today and some peppermint shrimp just in case any aiptasia are left that i didn't notice on some of the rocks I transfered.

Again GREAT TANK!!! :D

Quick question for you, or any else who owns a AP, how do you remove the hood from the tank to work on it?

Lift the hood so it's 90-degrees to the top of the tank. Grab the hood near the hinges and pull up and towards you. You may have to pry one off and then the other but it will come off.

Again GREAT TANK!!! :D

Thanks again and good luck with the new pod.

BTW, what does your old tank look like?

Thanks again and good luck with the new pod.

BTW, what does your old tank look like?

My old nano was set up 3 years ago. It's a 15gal tall with a CSL 2x40 Pc with moonlights. Rock was from Gulfview live rock.

Here is a Old pic that i posted three years ago:

nano3.jpg

nano4.jpg

My tank is mostly Live rock, red and blue mushrooms, some GSP, and various zoos. I was injured in July and the tank was neglected ( I didn't have use of my arms) my wife and daughter kept the tank topped of with water, but no water changes, no cleaning...nothing. I come back to a major cyano outbreak and the tank was filled with aiptasia. I put some peppermints in that tank, but have also been "nuking" them with Joes juice. The aiptasia killed off several of the zoo's and some other corals, some trocks were 90% covered in them. Because of my frustration, I ordered a AP12, and fig'd I wojuld save what I could, buy mostly new LR and give it a fresh start.

I'm giving the lights, Rio and maxi-jets pumps, aqua clear mini, modded skilter, and most of the rock once I kill off the aiptasia to my twin brother to get him into nano reefs. Currently, he's a Goldfish guy. you can check out his site, with forum at: http://www.goldfishutopia.net/ He takes really great care of his tanks, so I know he'll do great with a nano.

Once he see's your tank, he may just give all of his goldfsih away! :D

My old nano was set up 3 years ago. It's a 15gal tall with a CSL 2x40 Pc with moonlights. Rock was from Gulfview live rock.

Here is a Old pic that i posted three years ago:

nano3.jpg

nano4.jpg

Wow! That's some awesome coraline algae growth.

Here's an update and some new pics of Mushroom House. Enjoy!

The new leather finally opened up yesterday. It's a little toadstool with green polyps. It took a week to settle in but now it's looking good.

NeonGreenToadstool.jpg

I wish I could say the same for the new yuma. I moved it down into a more shady spot but it's not happy. I sure hope it makes a comeback.

The pulsing xenia continue to grow well since I stopped running carbon. The close proximity of the mushrooms don't seem to bother them.

NovemberLeftSide.jpg

The leathers and other softies are growing out nicely.

NovemberTop.jpg

Here's a shot of my little zoo garden. According to Zoaid.com: Armageddons, Tub's Blues, RPE, Dragon Eyes, Coco's Pinks, Purple Dreams, Fire and Ice, Green Crossettes, among others. I can't wait until some of the smaller frags grow in.

NovemberZooGarden.jpg

As promised, here's this month's FTS. I hope you like it.

NovemberMushroomHouseFTS.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Wowee!!! That's amazing!! Hey, how about a list of ALL your corals? Eh?

Thanks KOFP! Here are the common names and descriptions roughly from top to bottom:

Creme colored finger leather with white polyps

Devil's hand with neon green polyps

Green polyped toadstool

4 varieties of florida ricordea (neon green, army green, orange and blue)

Blue rhodactis mushrooms

Red mushrooms

Green mushrooms

Blue mushrooms (not pictured)

Hambali pulsing xenias

Neon green candy canes

Yellow fiji leather

Purple rim short tentacled fungia plate

Red/green open brain

Mint colored yuma

Assorted zoos and palys (OPE, Lemons, Blue Eye Devils, Armageddons, Tub's Blues, RPE, Dragon Eyes, Coco's Pinks, Purple Dreams, Fire and Ice, Green Crossettes)

WHEW! I think that's everybody. Thanks for asking.

the frag master
Thanks! :D

ok first off AWSOME TANK.

now im surprised no one else has mentioned this seeing that there are many AP owners. I modded mine ith that hydor flow rotator and theoriginal output on the top left. i had the adaptor and put it on there and saved a ton of space. I dont know if you can do that, but that would get rid of the rio pump and the grey color. as for chemical warfare, I have never had any with my leatehrs, and I have 8 of them in 1 tank my ap24 with 70w halide. Ill take pics oon as my photo skills really suck. keep it up im defiantely folowing along.

WOW WOW WOW!!

Nice tank. Is very much like my tank, well it will be in about 6 months (HOPE). Love the set up and the look. I have a 29g tank and was just wondering about angels. Is there any other stuning girls that would do well in a tank this size. Wish i could get stock like yours but my nearest good LFS in 1 and a half hours away. Living in scotland can suck. Please keep the pics comming.

Archived