ReefCleaners.org

new 40 Breeder Tank Build

ezramore

thanks for the responce. I left for work yesterday and i thought it was going to be dead by time i got home. Been in the tank 4 days now. When i got home last night it looked like it had been there all its life. Still looked good this morning as well. My clowns have descided to host it and it seems to be responding positivley. It is kind of a brownish pink color with purple tiped tenticles I will keep a close eye on it and if it starts going south I will pull it out .

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

picked up a flame angle , bicolor blennee and a coral beuty last night. makes the stock list including stuff from the old tank

1 flame angle

1 coral beuty

1 pair of perc clown fish

1 bicolor blennee

1 prawn goby

1 rainford goby,

1 skunk cleaner shrimp.

everyone is getting along great at the moment. The flame is not eating yet. everyone else took to food right away. feeding formula one flakes.

found my coral beutey picking on the hammer coral, and the plate coral this morning. it may be on its way back to the LFS if i can catch it.

Added cured live tonga and allowed to cycle

post-13091-1164432897_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164432978_thumb.jpg

Great project. Nicely done. However, it looks to me like there is a gigantic white spider (or perhaps arrow crab...same difference, really) in your tank!

and i call him george. lol

it does look rather spider like in those pics. I like it though.

I descided to take back the flame and coral beauty angle fish. They totaly destroyed the plate and hammer corals, as well as my pom pom xena and green stars that have been in the 12 g tank for over 2 years. I spend about 4 hours catching them last night, and had to take apart some of the rock formation to get at them. I rearanged the tank a little when i put it back together, (mostly because i could not remember how i had it). it now has some great ledges to set corals on. Pics to come.

my stock list is now:

1 rainford goby

2 clowns

1 prawn goby

1 bicolor blenny

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

1 sand sifter starfish.

misc reef crabs and snails.

Picked up a juvenile yellow tank and a red headed fairy wrass. I know its a little tight for a yellow tang but when he gets to big he will go to a friends 125 gal tank. whis will begin being set up in january. He ordered a custum cherry stand for it and i guess its on back order. I also picked up a clam, tiger sand conch and an emerald crab.

I was working on the tank adding some new corals and i found my pistal shrimp that i havent seen in like 6 months. He must have rode over on a piece of rock from the 12g. I saw the goby in a new spot and then noticed he wasnt alone. i had thought he was long since dead.

Will try to post some coral pics soon.

1 rainford goby

2 clowns

1 prawn goby

1 tiger pistal shrimp

1 bicolor blenny

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

1 sand sifter starfish.

1 emerald crab

1 yellow tang

1 red head fairy wrasse

1 tiger conch

1 purple clam

misc reef crabs and snails.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking some pics. Lights just came on not to long before i took them so not everything is fully awake yet. Only time i had to take them though so here we go.

me new clam post-13091-1166456637_thumb.jpg

post-13091-1166456756_thumb.jpg fish and shrimp. took 20 minutes and about 50 shots to get him to let me take his picture.

The Goby moved in from the 12 G post-13091-1166456814_thumb.jpg

post-13091-1166456862_thumb.jpg Sump Fuge

Full tank shot Little less spider like after a few weeks of moving things aroundpost-13091-1166456898_thumb.jpg

post-13091-1166456987_thumb.jpg octipuss frogspawn and clam

Kenya tree mushrooms and polyps post-13091-1166457057_thumb.jpg

post-13091-1166457101_thumb.jpg Green polyps and Branching coral of which i can not remember the name.

watch out for the tang police lol. my wife wants to add a yellow tang to our 40 breeder so i better not let her see this post haha. he looks good in the tank though. i like your aquascaping to. good job!!!

watch out for the tang police lol. my wife wants to add a yellow tang to our 40 breeder so i better not let her see this post haha. he looks good in the tank though. i like your aquascaping to. good job!!!

yea this one was my wifes doing as well. she asked the LFS if yellow tangs would be ok and he convinced her that as long as we got him young he would do fine. I set up a back up option with a friend just in case.

yea i figure ill get one for my 40 breeder to make her happy and then ill have an excuse to get a large fowlr tank when it gets bigger because she wont want to get rid of it so ill have a for sure ok to start a bigger tank lol

i ordered a live culture of pods yesterday. 6 oz bottle 3 spiecies of pods. they are supposed to ship them after the 1st due to the holiday shipping schedule. Once they get established we are looking into getting a green mandering fish.

I also picked up some red feeder algea and have it growing in the sump. I cut a little off and the tang went nuts. He loves the stuff. once it gets settled in a little i plan to give him a little piece once in awile to munch on.

My green toad stool (thought to be dead) opened up last night and it looking great. I diddnt know they shed till i read someones yellow leather post yesterday. used the turkey baster method and it worked. Thanks to whom ever wrote the post. thats one of the things that makes these sites great. Good info good people.

I built an overflow box for it already. and i am using a 1 inch bulkhead with a stand pipe and a valve so i can reduce the flow.

could you be so kind as to tell how exactly you did that, thanks

edit: building the box that is

could you be so kind as to tell how exactly you did that, thanks

edit: building the box that is

Here is a drawing that should help post-13091-1166802426_thumb.jpg

i diddnt really measure it when i built it. Just kind of eyeballed it (as far as size). I bought the hose and u-tube from the LFS. as you can see from the drawing, i used a double layer of plexi for the joint that hangs on the tank. the one i first built for the 12JBJ cracked at this joint so i took extra caution this time. also used half inch plexi for the box.

the standpipe i used is similar to this. post-13091-1166802909_thumb.jpg

I was actually trying to tune the one in the diagram when i noticed an undergravel filter tube i had from an old tank. i dropped it in and instant silence. When I upgraded the return pump i went ahead and finished tuning the one in the drawing wich is what i am using now. The under gravel tube was great for 700 gph pump but could not keep up with the 1200 gph pump im runing now.

check out this site as well as he had some great info and has some other designs.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

got some new corals for christmas and took some of the old corrals i haddnt photographed yet. here you go.

cool pick of clam lights off used flash. i just liked the way the light reflected, made it kind of glo. post-13091-1167256393_thumb.jpg

red candy got it for 20$ from the LFS christmas salepost-13091-1167256457_thumb.jpg

5 head torch coral 20 total from the lfs christmas sale post-13091-1167256481_thumb.jpg

Octupuss frogspawn post-13091-1167256551_thumb.jpg

red brain 20$ from LFS christmas salepost-13091-1167256565_thumb.jpg

i got a condy anenomie as well but took him back after he stung my bicolor blennie. the blennie has been moving kind of slow since he got stung. I actuly pulled him out of its mouth. What are my chances of him recovering. he was doind really well. the Condy resides in my sump until i can take him back to the store.

here is a pic of the condy post-13091-1167256892_thumb.jpg

post-13091-1167256876_thumb.jpg

blennie ate last night but is still looking a little weak from his condy fight. he is not swimming around nearly as much as he was before but he did do a little rock hopping and came out long enought to get some food. hopefully this means he will recover

well the blennie died some time this weekend. the sting from the condy must have finaly got to him. it looked like the sting was about half way down his back. we got in from ft collings last night and the crabs were finishing him off. the tank ran unattended with automatic feeder, auto top off and light timers, from thursday morning to tuesday night and everything was stable when i checked it last night. I gave the tang some red feeder algea and he went nuts for awile. he cant get enough of the stuff. i also had a huge bloom of purple coraline. its even starting to cover the overflow box. yea

Went to Fishy Business last night here in COS and got a new Bicolor blennie, Male Green Manderine, and a Green Flower pot coral (dont know the scientific name) She has a female as well but the wife descided on the male. She said he smiled at her lol.

I ordered a bottle of live pods as well. Supposed to get here this weekend if the snow doesnt get to bad. The Manderine took some frozen Misis last night. My only concern about him at the moment is that he has descided he likes the right side corner of the tank where the clown are hosting. They keep nudging him out of their spot when he gets to close. just hoping it doesnt stress him out.

more pics

new Mandrine post-13091-1168294381_thumb.jpg post-13091-1168294391_thumb.jpg

side viewpost-13091-1168294432_thumb.jpg

red candy post-13091-1168294454_thumb.jpg

Orang SPS post-13091-1168294472_thumb.jpg

xena post-13091-1168294533_thumb.jpg

Toadstool leather post-13091-1168294563_thumb.jpg

Frogspawn/toadstool unter antics post-13091-1168294587_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1168294592_thumb.jpg

post-13091-1168294821_thumb.jpg Flower pot.

another antic shot post-13091-1168294835_thumb.jpg

thanks for the link. The only thing i found on them prior to this one said it was unknown what they eat and they like moderate flow and medium light. I got it for 20$ and it is about 6 inches around when it pulls in it tenticles. ill keep a close eye on it and see if i can find some more info. so far it doesnt ever close up unless i am working in the tank and accedentaly bump it but it only closes for a few minute. i target fed some marine snow and some phyto to it and it perked up whith the phyto. thanks again for the info.

Ez

Archived