Top Shelf Aquatics

T5-HO to Compact flourescents

ntec

I have a 20gal long and right now I have a 2-24w t5-ho retrofit kit. Now if I replaced it with 2-65w cf fixture will I get a big improvement over the t5's?

Part of that depends on whether or not you have good reflectors for the PCs.

What constitutes a good reflector?

How do you know if you have a good reflector or not?

AH Supply has a great explanation of the effects of reflector design:

AH Supply 36w-55w bright kits

If you are a DYI'er, they have terrific retrofit kits for PC. I have installed 3 of their 2x55w kits on my 75g FW planted tank, and a 2x13w kit on an Eclipse 6 that I set up as my first nano reef.

You won't find a better value in a DIY kit, imho.

Thanks for the info I was just curious if I would have noticed a big amount of light difference. My t5's have individual reflectors and my tank can't fit any more t5 lights which is a bummer so i'll have to upgrade to MH when I do upgrade my lights.

Thanks for the info I was just curious if I would have noticed a big amount of light difference. My t5's have individual reflectors and my tank can't fit any more t5 lights which is a bummer so i'll have to upgrade to MH when I do upgrade my lights.

don't know what retrofit kit you have... what reflectors are on it.. You do need more light.. like 2 more T5's

Other options are to upgrade your Reflectors to Ice cap(best on the market right now).... and/or overdriving your bulbs if you want more light. What bulbs are you using?

I'm going to be using the 4x24 tec light on my 20L. See how it does then mod it and see what it can do

• 2 weeks later...

A tek light on a 20L?? Better give your coral sunglasses. Thats the problem with T-5, there is no shade!! With a MH you can put the SPS under the light, the zoos and mushroom over in the corner where the coverage is less. R

Archived