Tests

ph - 8.4

amm - 0

trite - 0

trate- 0

sg - 1.023

alk - 1.6 top end of the low section

calcium - not tested

Time to get serious with corals! I added a four headed hammer, gsp, xenia, and 4 new zoa's! I'd like to thank Rob from Alti's Reef for giving me some good prices on some great looking frags. I will definitely buy more corals from him in the future. While this is more then I would have wanted to add all at once he had alot of nice things I couldn't say no to. All the zoa's were floated and then dumped into the tank. The xenia, hammer and GSP were floated then dripped for 30mins. They are all doing well and opening nice.

I did (as I talked in a previous post) remove 1 of the 2 lights from my fuge light. It has helped stabilize my temps even more. I flux now from 80.0 to 81.2. Thats a 1.2 degree change total. With both lights on in the fuge I would shoot up to 82deg. So removing 1 of 2 bulbs helped stabilize my temps from a 2deg swing down to a 1.2deg swing.........will it still provide enough for chaeto growth? I think so, it's 9w there now instead of 18w but I think the 18w was too much to begin with anyway. I will measure up chaeto growth tomorrow when I do a water change.

No more plans for corals. Next step is finding a true percula.

Here are my 4 new zoa's. A pink zoa with grey skirt, a teal zoal with grey skirt, watermelon zoa's and a frag of horizons:

101006quadzoozn9.jpg

Here is the xenia. It started pumping only 15minutes after it was acclimated. It is one stalk but has two others "jutting" off of it:

101006zeniabm7.jpg

Here is my 4 headed hammer. I like its placement aesthetically but not sure if it likes the flow in the area. Time will tell:

101006hammertw7.jpg

Here is the GSP under normal lighting:

101006gspajx1.jpg

Here is the GSP under actinic lighting:

101006gspbgz5.jpg

And to close here is a new FTS:

101006ftssd8.jpg

welli really liek your tank. thos zoos with the green and orange are eagle eyes i think ill be following along

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great looking zoos! your tank is looking better and better after each update!

i have fed my frogspawn brine shrimp. i think the frogspawn and the hammer are similiar? my torch wont eat anyhting i feed it, but it's doing really well, got it as a single head and now im about to get split into three heads all within a month give or take a week.

i was reading on the forum the other day and people say that you find out through trial and error? try feeding mysis shrimp and if you watch what comes out of the mouth? if the waste product looks like the actaul white shrimp then try a smaller size or different type of food. but if it normally releases a stringy brown substance then it should be okay?

10/06/06 14 Week Update Life/Death Watch :o

Two nights ago I saw one of my 2 Stomatella snails (that just recently spawned) walking around with his shell partially detached. He proceeded to climb the glass front and center and work his shell further off. It looked as if his internal organs were exposed.................wake up the next morning.........havent seen him since.

I am guessing that he was picked at by my cleaner shrimp or a hermit crab and that dislodged his shell leading to his death. Sucks. Ill replace him when I can so I can continue to watch them spawn together. As a pickmeup side note I did observe a baby Stomatella in the tank, he is very small. I guess that egg/sperm release I pictured above was successful in this one case. I know if I had fish in the tank none would have made it. I'm glad one did and hope he lives on.

This morning when I awoke my feather duster spit up its crown. It showed no real signs off stress before this. He was spot fed with a syringe alternating freeze dried cyclopeeze and mysis juice. I am not sure if and how he will recover. I just did a water change yesterday.............not sure if that affected him in anyway.

I am travelling to a LFS today. I was hoping to get a true percula if they had one but in light of the feather duster dropping its crown I am not sure if there is something going wrong here. Maybe I should slow up and wait. I did all parameter tests 3 days ago and everything checked out fine...........I really want a fish but not at the risk that my tank enviornment cannot handle it. Anyone have any thoughts?

I came home on Friday afternoon and he was out of his tube. Poking him showed no response so I took him for dead and removed him from the tank. He was laying by some blue zoa's that have not reopened since. Rest of the tank was unaffected and nitrates remain zero. Think I am going to lay low and not add anything this week. Kinda sad, no idea why he died. It was only $12 but thats not the point. Nothing should be dying. According to 2 diff test kits it is not my water parameters................I am guessing it was lack of food. Most places list these are easy to keep but I am learning more and more on how the amount of phyto you would need to dose to keep one well fed would foul a tank my size in no time. I will not be purchasing another feather duster for these reasons.

On a better note I stopped home on lunch today and my cleaner shrimp had his 1st molt and is looking very brilliant

United_Poseidon

Hey Twan,

Tank is coming along nicely. Good idea with the gutter screen for containing your chaeto. That stuff can grow pretty fast. I was wondering if that was made out of aluminum or steel. If it is, you might have some rusting issues later on. I would replace it if it starts to show signs of rusting. Just a thought. Nice rock work btw.

Peace,

U_P

I really like those watermellon zoo's. How are they doing? I also like your GSP. Still trying to decide if I want to add some GSP and Xenia or just stick with zoo's and shrooms. Looking good.

I was wondering if that was made out of aluminum or steel. If it is, you might have some rusting issues later on. I would replace it if it starts to show signs of rusting.

It is made of neither. It is plastic =)

I really like those watermellon zoo's. How are they doing? I also like your GSP. Still trying to decide if I want to add some GSP and Xenia or just stick with zoo's and shrooms. Looking good.

The watermellon zoo's are doin great. When all these tiny zoo frags grow over and cover their bases I am going to group them all together somewhere in the tank for a "zoo garden". The Xenia and Hammer I have swapped sides. The GSP is doin great. The teal/blue zoo's have been closed for 4 days now. No idea whats up with them. The ricordia has come loose from its rock. I tried to glue it back on but its coming loose again. Not sure what to try next. Maybe the shotglass and epoxy quarantine for 2 weeks to let it attach on its own.

10/20/06 15 Week Update

Tests

temp - 80.0

ph - 8.4

amm - 0

trite - 0

trate- trace less then 5 though

sg - 1.022

calcium - 360/380ish

So after the stomatella death and feather duster death I had a slight trace of nitrate. This was taken back to zero by way of a 2g water change last night.

The teal blue zoo's have also started to re-open. Their skirts are not as long as they used to be but they are improving everyday.

Cheato had slowed down growth since I went from two 9w lights on the chamber fuge down to one 9w light on the fuge (dropped it in 1/2 because of rising temps on the reverse photo period). Understandable but I thought I would still have some growth. When I did my water change I noticed the area that I cut away on the back vinyl had a layer of algae that I am sure was hindering my light penetration. Cheato should take back off again, I scraped what was on that wall off, letting more light through. WIll keep everyone posted.

I placed an order from LiveAquaria. I have been looking locally for a Black Onyx True Percula with no luck. I went ahead and ordered a regular true percula and a coral I have wanted since I first saw a reef tank, yellow figi leather.

The fish I plan to float and then 1/2 cup water every 5mins about 3-4 times then net him and into the tank. The coral I plan to drip for 20-30mins.

There are no other fish in the tank, this will be my 1st salt water fish. Do I need to keep the lights out for any period after his introduction?

awesome! im looking into a clown for my tank right now... not sure which one is which... but around my location all i see are those orange clown.. im looking for one that is dark orange or maybe an Onyx? tell me how the shipping went after you recieve it. i might have to order online as well

awesome! im looking into a clown for my tank right now... not sure which one is which... but around my location all i see are those orange clown.. im looking for one that is dark orange or maybe an Onyx? tell me how the shipping went after you recieve it. i might have to order online as well

All around me were false perc's also. Didnt like em. I woulda loved a Black Onyx True percula but at about $50+ per (Rod's Reef only place I found with them in stock I didnt want one as my 1st SW fish. Im glad I went with LA and got a true percula. Update with pics to follow.

10/23/06 Good Perc Bad Leather Update

The ricordia that I have decided to detach from the rock that he was on. I have glued him back on and placed the frag into a shotglass in the tank hoping that it would re-attach. It has been re-glued 3-4 times and keeps falling off. I am not sure its gonna make it. I need to try some gel based glue next. Will keep you posted.

Trying to find a good color true percula proved too hard for me so I gave in and ordered online. I always wanted to hand pick my fish but after a friend of mine had a good experience with LiveAquaria I went for it. Wanting to maximize my bang for the buck in regards to shipping I added a Figi Yellow Leather and 3 Astrea Snails. The leather being a coral I have always wanted since browsing stealhealr's thread and the Astrea Snails to replace the last Margarita Snail I had.

The original clean up crew had 3 Margarita Snails. Slowly I have given all 3 to a friend with a 30 gallon and now replaced them with 3 Astrea Snails. I liked the Margarita's and their glass cleaning power. Problem is that they always wedged themselves between the glass and my hydor-flo. Sometimes stopping it for hours and sometimes dislodging it completely. Not fun. They were just too large for my tank. I am anxious to see how the 3 Astrea Snails will do in their place. Look below for what I have of each in the stocking list.

Figi Yellow Leather. The coral I sooooo looked forward to. Well the package came and the leather looked dark on its edges. It looked as if it was in the process of splitting when it was shipped to me. The 2nd head on it was all rotted though. I drip acclimated it and hoped for the best. It was not till I got it in the tank till I realized how ######ty it was looking. I snapped some quick pics and uploaded them to a local reef forum. Their opinion was that it looked bad, to blow across it with a pipette. If it disintegrates remove it, if it holds up keep it.

Suffice to say the thing fell apart under the slightest pressure. I removed it. The tank was a mess. I performed a 2g water change after discovering that nitrates shot up to 5ppm. The only coral that seemed effected was my teal zoo's. Weird that out of everything they seem the most tempermental (they closed another time when the feather duster jumped tube). This has tought me that I really need a QT tank. I have no plans to try to re-order a leather online. Ill keep my eye's peeled locally.

LA did promptly refund me. That was good but I was still bummed that my 1st go at a coral I always wanted ended badly. Here is a pic of it just before I did the pipette test:

badleatherok6.jpg

I started with 3 mushrooms on this rock. Slowly 2 more started to form but underneath the others and they were not getting enough light. I have since fragged them and placed them in a different location on the same rock and they are slowly growing:

newshroomspy4.jpg

As I said above, I wanted to hand pick a True Perc but could never find a small one local. The one I got was luckily just the size and coloring I wanted:

clown102306ani4.jpg

clown102306bkf9.jpg

Here is a new FTS dated 10/22/06:

fts102306wg4.jpg

Stock List:

2 Stomatella Snails

3 Atrea Snails

5 Cerith Snails

5 Red Reef Hermits

10 Nass Vibex snails

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 True Percula Clown

Orange/Green Combo Zoo

Pink Zoo

Teal Blue Zoo

Watermelon Zoo

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoo

Horizon Zoo

Blue Florida Ricordia

GSP

Xenia

Hammer

• 2 weeks later...

10/31/06 16 Week Update

Tests

temp - 82.3

ph - 8.4

amm - 0

trite - 0

trate- 2.5

sg - 1.022

Blue ricordia died after trying to reattach it to rocks with glue and bands in a shot glass. Ricordia's are my favorite so I am a bit bumed. Still also bumed that the Yellow Figi Leather came DOA.

The percula is doin great. I constantly see him picking off pods. He gets Formula 1 flake everyday, freeze dried cyclopeeze every other day and mysis 2x a week.

The skunk cleaner shrimp has molted twice in 5 weeks. He seems happy. The clown doesnt let the shrimp too close to him though.

Zoo's and Xenia and GSP are all growing nicely. Hammer is about the same. I also had 2 new mushrooms grow.

Taking it slow from here on out. Only going to add ricordia's (florida and yuma) and a yellow figi leather when I find them locally.

Plan to add a 6 line wrasse around xmas time.

Will post a new FTS on Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

10/31/06 18 Week Update

All tests are fine.

Percula is doing well.

Added a few new corals from Alti's Reef one of which I need an ID on.

Moved all zoo's together to form a zoo garden.

Found a tiny starfish with only 3 appendages on the glass recently.

Zoo's bunched together:

111606zoogardenei2.jpg

New candy cane:

111606candycanext5.jpg

New Torch:

111606torchdp3.jpg

New Yuma:

111606yumaricfo1.jpg

New Unknown Coral:

111606unknownnu1.jpg

New FTS:

111606ftshk5.jpg

Great tank, Twan!!! I've got a 50g and I'm about to start my own 12, your thread has been great to follow and is giving me some really good ideas. Keep up the great work!

Jboo

• 2 weeks later...

11/28/06 4 Month Update Update

All tests are fine.

Percula is doing well.

Still doing 2g a week water changes.

Corraline growth really taking off on the back wall.

Halting new corals for a little while.

Hoping to add a sixline around Xmas time.

Lost the yuma that I got. It was doing fine then I came home one day after work and it was all slimed over. I removed it for fear of it falling apart. ####### me off cause ric's are my favorite and I have had one florida and one yuma and they are my only 2 corals that have not made it. Were they getting too much flow? Too much light? I am not sure. Next one I get down the line I'll toss in the shade with little to no flow and see.

Slimed Yuma coming out:

deadyumaoe1.jpg

Neat pic of my shrimp molt (4th time in as many months):

shrimpmoltvd3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new to report, everything is doing fine.

Some new shrooms have popped up, GSP is on the move, corraline algae has really started to take off on the back wall.

Hope to add a 6line wrasse after Xmas.

Will add a yellow figi leahter as soon as I find one locally.

Updated FTS:

fts121206ns6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 2nd and last fish for this tank. A lovely sixline wrasse. I didn't drip this fish. He temp acclimated for 15mins then I added a shot-glass of tank water every 3 mins for 15mins (5 times), net and in he went.

At his first feeding I saw him nip at 2 nassarius snails and then square off with my cleaner shrimp. Nothing major but a confrontation for sure. Thank god the shrimp is bigger then him, I would be upset if I lost him. He seems to behaving for now. Lets wait and see. Maybe he was super hungry and was in a frenzy when I started feeding, who knows.

It's also weird to see how he sleeps hidden which is different then the clown.

I am super happy with my tank and its pretty much done. I'd like to get an open brain and a plate coral one day. Thats about it. Tank is just about 5 months old.

Pics!

My new Wrasse, named Lucky:

122806wrassealp9.jpg

122806wrassebui3.jpg

Updated Clown Pic:

122806clownau9.jpg

Updated Shrimp Pic:

122806shrimprw1.jpg

Updated FTS:

122806ftsmw8.jpg

Thanks quy_nquyen. The last addition was the wrasse about 2.5 weeks ago. Everything is still on track. Im just going to let everything grow out and maybe add a leather or plate.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived