inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 29g stand

melissa4444

Does anyone know if the new Oceanic 29g Biocube will fit on the Oceanic 30g cube stand? I have the cherry cube stand and I am interested in an all-in-one that will fit on it.

Thanks, Melissa :)

bucknellreefer
Does anyone know if the new Oceanic 29g Biocube will fit on the Oceanic 30g cube stand? I have the cherry cube stand and I am interested in an all-in-one that will fit on it.

I don't know if it will, but if it doesn't i might be interested in taking the stand off your hands.

Hummm well it looks like the stand would be a bit too small........The stand is about 20.5" X 18.5" and the new Biocube is both longer and wider.

Buck - if you were nearby I wouold seriously consider passing it on to you, but the shipping cost would not make it worth the while for either of us....

bucknellreefer
Hummm well it looks like the stand would be a bit too small........The stand is about 20.5" X 18.5" and the new Biocube is both longer and wider.

Buck - if you were nearby I wouold seriously consider passing it on to you, but the shipping cost would not make it worth the while for either of us....

aww, that sucks. I guess i will have to keep looking. where are you?

aww, that sucks. I guess i will have to keep looking. where are you?

Hello, New to the Forums. First post...Long time lurker..........I currently have a Bio-Cube 29 gal on a 30gal Cube stand. It fits quite nicely and provides room for a sump if needed in the future. There is a little hang over in the rear but not enough for it to be unbalanced. All of the main weight is supported. Go for it.

audiocontrol

buck, check out petsmart...you can get preassembled oceanic 30 cube stands there for $99. I thought they werent going to continue selling them or something...but every petsmart I have been in sells them still.

The Bio CUBE 29 is just a bit to big for a 30 gal cube stand. I just bought a 30 gal cube but had reservations on paying what LFS wanted for the stand.($178) What I did was what I have done for past tank stands. I buy a real wood kitchen wall or base cabinet, or a bathroom vanity cabinet which are generally smaller in size and height. I get a section of premade counter top to suit. The cabinets i have been getting here in this region are constructed of 1/2 as well as 3/4 inch plywood sides, real wood fronts, and 1/2" ply backs. They can be had with doors, or drawers or a combination of both, and some even have adjustable shelves. All have beeneither real oak or birch fronts and doors and not a piece of MDF or particle board in them.....and all have been under $100 and come prefinished. Hard to beat considering a darn particle board stand for a 29 gal common tank is like 89 bucks at Petsmart. They often have damaged or dented cabinets and they cost even less. The typical wall cabinets come in 1 or 2 inch width increases and are 12 inches or 14 inches deep, and 30 inches tall.....so they can fit qute a few different tanks that is commonly used in small setups, and base cabinets can easily hold larger tank setups......

chipmaker,

That is an awesome idea. I have found prices for the 29gal bioube stand ranging from 129 to 200. I think a vanity would look mucj better!

I know a Current-USA brand 24 gallon Aquapod will fit on it for sure. Not sure about the new Oceanic 29. I would be willing to bet that it won't fit.

Buck: I got the Oceanic Cube stand about 4 months ago at Petsmart on clearance for around $80 already assembled. I am in Cincinnati. You might find one still at a Petsmart near you.

Chip: That sounds like a great idear!

Malakas: You said that your Biocube hangs off the back a bit. What about the length from side to side? The dimensions suggest that the tank would hang over the sides as well.

rbeirne: That was my original plan 4 months ago - put the 24g Aquapod on the 30g cube stand which I have heards fits quite nicely. However, soonafter I heard of the 29g Biocube and started the great debate over which tank to buy. I have been running the 12g Nanocube for almost 2 years now and I love it. However when I looked into upgrading to the 24g Nanocube I found that all the cubes stocked by my local fish warehouse (newer 2006 models) had funny bubbles and other defects in the glass. :o

Malakas: You said that your Biocube hangs off the back a bit. What about the length from side to side? The dimensions suggest that the tank would hang over the sides as well.

maybe the 30g cube stand that I am talking about is different.

The stand I have came with a 30g Oceanic Cube Stand Combo. Then I scored the exact same stand for much cheaper @ Petco last week.

The 29g Bio Cube hangs no more then a .5 a inch in the front. and about 2-3 inches on the back. I have no hang over whatsoever on the sides. Matter of fact I have about a .5 to 1 inch of extra room.

I do believe that we are talking about the same stand designed for the Oceanic 30g cube aquariums commonly found in the large petstores. Nonetheless, 2-3 inches of overhang is quite a lot. I would seriously be worrying about problems in the future. A tank like that needs to be completely supported all around. 2-3 inches of unsupported tank will place extra pressure on the portion of the plastic frame that overhangs. The plastic frame could weaken over time causing a disaster. :o

Just today I was in Deathco and spotted the Oceanic 3x gal cube stands. The price on them was $199.99 plus 10% sales tax for something that is nothing m0ore than 2 pieces of plywood for the sides and one piece of smaller size for back and a top and bottom with a glass door. No way in heck is that stand worth that kind of money, no matter how you look at it. I have less than half that price in my stand for my cube and have a much better piece of cabinetry. My localLFS informed me thjat if something happened to my tank that Oceanic would not cover it as I did not use their approved stand...duh! Yet old wives tales and its beenproven Oceanic or opthers can not compell a person to buy and use their stands if its not a propriatary item........all a stand has to be is planar (flat) and of substantial strength to hold aquarium.......So if a store tries to run that inoon yu to entice yu to buy a stand to ensure your warranty will not be voided ask them if they ever heard of the MOSS-Magnuson act!

For what I have been buying quality prefinished vanities and base or wall cabinets for at the surplus building supply center for its just a more worthwhile deal to go that route. Ya can get the drawers or doors or combinations.........no partical board or MDF, and in some the back is open to some degree just like any regular aquarium stand is, and in others its totally closed. Bathroom vanitys tend to have a open or partially open back which is just fine. The wall cabinets whiech range to 12 inches in depth work fine for a tank up to 55 gal. The top can be made with 1inch overhang all around so in effecdt yu can have a 14 inch wide top on those wall cabinets and not sacrifice structural integrity or need for additional supports.

A simple piece of precut plywood or a preformed counter top works fine. There is a lot of items that can be used to make a suitable top out of. Another thing I saw that is usefull is sound barrier for laminate flooring. Its a high density foam material of approx 1/16" to 3/32" in thickness and is used under laminate flooring to deaden sound and help with any minor inperfections in the sub floor.....Works great to ensure tank sets firmly on top of whatever you use.

I buy and have been given pieces for free already of a poly product used in bathroom stalls as dividers in business. The one company here sells all kind sof plastics and they sell this stuff relatively cheap. LOts of times they have a heap of it that comes in as dunnage material used toprotect other sheets of lexan and plexiglass etc, and they let me have all I can carry away to keep them from having to throw it out and needing to bust it up to go in the dumpster.......It makes a fabulous water proof strong top on these cabinets. I am sure lots of areas have similar places or check with some contractors etc that install the dividers.But even preformed counter top material is pretty cheap and you would have a much better stand overall than most stands that yur gonna find in Petco etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just an update on my stand situation......I have an unused Oceanic Cherry stand designed to fit the Oceanic 30g cube aquarium. I am interested in an all-in-one and I do believe I have found it. Finnex makes a 22g glass all-in-one 36W X3 that would fit just about perfect. The stand would be just a bit longer but that is O.K. by me. I am much more comfortable with the cube aquarium vs. the curved glass aquarium such as the aquapod or even the biocube. I want an aquarium that will last many years and I am just not sure about the curved models as the track record does not go much further than 2.5 years. I currently have a 12g nano cube, going on almost 2 years, and stories I have read make me worry, especially when I have to clean the glass. Don't get me wrong I love my nano cube, but track record is not yet proven on these curved glass all-in-ones long term, especially the 24g+ models.

Peace. Melissa

Well I found a few vanities and cabinets that would make great stands. The one I am most interested in is 24X21, which is 3 inches wider than the tank. If I get a piece of solid counter for the top, will I need to reinforce it so the tank doesn't fall through? Or should I go with something that is smaller on the bottom and has a larger top, say 24x12? I just don't want my tank ending up insdie or next to the stand. Or could I purchase the 30 gal cube satnd and sit a larger board on top tto make up for the over hand and support the tank?

Well I found a few vanities and cabinets that would make great stands. The one I am most interested in is 24X21, which is 3 inches wider than the tank. If I get a piece of solid counter for the top, will I need to reinforce it so the tank doesn't fall through? Or should I go with something that is smaller on the bottom and has a larger top, say 24x12? I just don't want my tank ending up insdie or next to the stand. Or could I purchase the 30 gal cube satnd and sit a larger board on top tto make up for the over hand and support the tank?

You really think that if you put the tank on a solid counter top it's going to fall through? :lol:

Archived