Innovative Marine Aquariums

Phixion's Aquapod 12g

Phixion

This is the latest picture I snapped of my AP12 just this afternoon.

matts_reef1.jpg

So far I have 6 zoa colonies, I know 2 of them are EE's, one is radioactive alien eyes (I think?) and the rest I'm not sure of the name offhand. I also have a 2-head branch of pink hammer coral, a good sized 2-head torch, a beautiful 11-head as well as a 5-head branch of candy cane. a rock with a few hairy mushrooms on it, a 3-mouth ricordia, a few pulsing xenia stalks that are rapidly growing, and a just aquired tonight frag of frogspawn. Invert wise I have 5 blue leg hermits, one scarlet hermit, one cerith snail, 2 turbo snails and one skunk cleaner shrimp. Here's a few more pics of some of my inhabitants:

3 of my zoa colonies... (EE's from PotysGSXR, the other 2 from Ebin)

zoas.jpg

One of my 3 pulsing xenia stalks...

xenias.jpg

11-head candy cane frag/branch (from EZcompany)

candy_cane3.jpg

Same candy cane at night with feeder tenticles extended waiting for a meal...

candy_cane_coral.jpg

Ricorda at night under the blue lunar LED lighting...

ricordia11.jpg

Of course it's slowly but surely growing! First fish very soon, I have a pearly jawfish on order. Sandbed is about 3-4 inches deep in most spots, so it should be sufficient I hope. :) Also as you can see I currently have a slight hair algae problem on the corners of some of the rocks.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments! Amazing what some time exposure can do to shots. ;) And all of the "close ups" were not so close up as my camera lacks a macro mode (Canon Powershot S1 IS) so I use the ghetto method of a mini tripod, being about 6-7 feet away from the tank and zooming in real close, lol! Not the ideal method, but it works.

I just added a frogspawn frag last night that I picked up from PotsyGSXR, so that's not in the pis that I put up. Some other info about my tank, running an MJ900 pump with a Hydor-Flo (had both of those on the tank the day I started it and filled it with water). Tank stays in the high 81 degree range, salinity is around 1.025. It's also equipped with an ICA2.0 and that's hooked to a Minijet 404 pump and I have a Theo 50w heater to keep the temps from getting too low. As for my back chambers I have them set up as follows:

Chamber 1 - stock sponge cut in half to accomidate the MJ404 pump for ICA

Chamber 2 - 1.5lbs. of L/R rubble and a mesh sack of chaeto

Chamber 3 - another mesh sack of chaeto

Chamber 4 - MJ900 pump and Theo 50w heater

The whole tank sits atop an NC12g stand which I custom cut a piece of "¾ thick pine plywood to the footprint of the AP12 since the NC12 has a different footprint, and mounted it to the top of the stand using heavy duty double sided tape thus eliminating any chance of structural stress on the tank.

nice candy canes, where did you get them?

it might sting ur xenia so becareful.

also, are you sure your method works well for macro mode?

i have the S1 as well canon ultrazoom x 10 right?

First fish very soon, I have a pearly jawfish on order. Sandbed is about 3-4 inches deep in most spots, so it should be sufficient I hope.

You are going to love the jawfish. I recently added a pair to my tank, and within hours of being released they started digging a burrow. I have about a 2" sandbed max, and they are content. They burrowed underneath a big piece of live rock.

One warning though, I did have one diasappear into the sump area of my 24g Aquapod for a week. I thought it had died as I checked the sump a few times when I noticed it missing. But one day when I was adding zoa's (from ebin :) ) It came up to the water surface in the sump. I got it back into the main tank, and it was a little worse for the wear, but it doing great now. Both have their own holes they like to float above waiting for food. Now I just need to convince my new Tangaroa Goby to not live with them and go move in with my pistol shrimp :lol:

Great looking tank!

-James

Thank you thank you thank you! :D

The pics I had in my gallery were so old before (2 months maybe?) so they really did my tank NO justice before i added the pics in this thread. Jin, the candy cans are doing great, and you're right, I believe they WERE stinking the xenia (I didn't think about that at first) so that's why in the pic of the xenia you can see it "walking" away from the candycane, lol! I have the same camera from what it sounds, the super quiet ultrazoom. As long as I'm not using the digital zoom, the pics come out very clear. I wish it had true macro mode though. :(

Ntec, I just have the stock Aquapod 2-LED lunar lights. They are quite bright though, so they provide a lot of moonlinght at night and make for awesome pics as well using timed exposure.

seahorsejl, I'll keep that in mind about the jawfish. I know they can be quite the jumpers!

And Kerry, you'll love the cleaner shrimp. Mine is so personable as I'm sure almost all are. Sometimes though it gets in the way when aquascaping and they will ALWAYS try to clean your fingers, hands or arm when in the tank, mine does at least. And lastly, always feed them FIRST before feading corals or fish, they are quick and WILL steal food from other inhabitants. Last night mine had a big piece of Formula 2 flake in it's claws and as I fed my candy canes, it stole ALL the food I fed them! :angry:

very nice setup!

those pictures really give me an idea what i can do with my aquapod 12g. mine's only a week old and currently cycling with 8.5lbs of fiji "pre-cured" live rock, but i'm excited about the possibilities!

very nice setup!

those pictures really give me an idea what i can do with my aquapod 12g. mine's only a week old and currently cycling with 8.5lbs of fiji "pre-cured" live rock, but i'm excited about the possibilities!

Thanks!! Even as small as the tank seems, you can fit quite a bit in it. You might want some more rock though, I got 15lbs for mine and the general rule to follw is 1 to 1.5lbs. per gallon of water. The most fun part though is boulding up all the livestock. B)

• 2 weeks later...

you have so many things i intend to get! EE zoos are one of em. if you ever decide to frag em let me know. im just 15 mins from pasadena.

great tank btw. i hope mine turns out just as good

umm last post aug 27 and now it's sept 8th. i think it's time for some more pictures!

-shawn

I agree, more pics will be up soon! I do have new frags since for sure, plus the addition of a Dusky jawfish I got earlier this week, but he burrowed under the rock in back on the left side, so you probably won't see him nor even notice much of anything with that unfortunately... =/

No prob, actuually I don't think I did mention that yet. ;) Just using the stock 2x27w 6700k and 10000k actinic lights (i think that's what they are?), so 56w total lighting thus far. But it's bright enough for me though I'm not planning on going SPS yet.

Also my above mentioned coral "soup" has a couple additional ingreedients, so it's now composed of Kent Marine "Zoo-Plex," Boyd's "Vita-Chem," Formula 2 flakes mashed up almost into dust, some Reef-Roids, and also Cyclo-peeze. I also have Liquid life Bio and Marine frozen formulas that I'll put in about once a week, just 2 drops of each. I'm not sure how that stuff is working out since I've only used it once, and the time I did my candy cane and other stuff wasn't opened up or inflated as fully as it normally does... I might stick with a teaspoon each of the Zoo-Plex and Vita-Chem 2 or so times a week into the main water flow as everything seems to like that stuff with that method quite well. I'll try out the liquid Life stuff again, but only one of the formulas at a time, maybe they just got overwhelmed the first time around.

watch the zooplex, thats really concentrated stuff and can instantly pollute a skimmerless tank.

ur candy canes will want bigger and meatier food also, like whole mysis

watch the zooplex, thats really concentrated stuff and can instantly pollute a skimmerless tank.

ur candy canes will want bigger and meatier food also, like whole mysis

I am, and testing regularly too since I know feeding can upset parameters easily.

I DO have mysis as well as brine and Prime Reef cubes. Actually I forgot that my "soup" has mashed up brine in the mix too. The cubes I have seem to "melt" into a thick liquid when I thaw it in the fridge, so it mixes well with the liquids of the mix. But I do break up the Prime Reef cubes and feed bits to the candy canes.

Both the Zooplex and VitaChem I put in less than half the recommended amount since they recommend for 25 and 50g respectively and I only have a 12g. The Liquid Life is so concentrated Jeff's brother (at the Orange location of Jeff's Exotic Fish) told me to use only one squirt drop of each.

I still can't believe how hungry they are and how much food the candy canes eat! :o

Some hot off the press pics.... Oh, my shrimp molted yesterday while at work, so I laid the skin molt ontop of the candy cane, and they seemed to be eating it. Later in the night it was laying on the rock next to them, I guess they wanted something more meaty... :( lol!

matts_reef21.jpg

Here's the 2 zoa and 1 polyp frags I picked up the other day, $34 for all 3!! I know the orange zoas are Fire and Ice, the green I'm not sure and the polyps are possibly Purple Moon People Eaters (PMPE's) w00t!

new_frags1.jpg

Thanks! Sad thing is, you can't tell my Dusky jawfish is in there, lol! This morning when I woke up it was moving around yet MORE sand. Do these guys like rearrange 24/7 or something?

Archived