SaltCritters.com

Is this normal growth or something else

bklynmet

Just wondering if this is normal growth or something else on this plate coral.

plate_coral-1.jpg

This plate coral has been in my tank for two weeks now. And today I noticed that a few of the ridge edges were white. Is this growth or something else. I've been feeding it pellets and brine shrimp about every four days. Aside from the white edges on a few ridges, color appears to be the same.

Water parameters have not changed at all. Ca 400, Alk - 9dKh, pH 8.1, T 82.4 deg, phosphates not measurable. Same with nitrates. Been getting good spurt of coralline growth as well as other coral growth recently with he start of kalk dripping three weeks ago (before purchase of plate.)

Any ideas?

DementedLullaby

It doesn't look very healthy to me. Those ridges are it's skeleton. I can't really make out the mouth, looks pretty recessed. Is that supposed to be the orange variety? I recently picked up an orange one. This is it looking nice and healthy :

Fungia1.JPG

Mine never had tentacles and I believe there are species without them. It's mouth is down 'under' the ridges but its mouth up slowly to feed.

DementedLullaby

Hmm I thought every plate had some tentacles for food gathering? The white spots really do appear to be skeleton to me though =/. I had a plate die awhile ago and that's what I remember seeing first.

Does it still accept food? I wouldn't feed pellets, try more meaty foods. Maybe mysis?

The white spots really do appear to be skeleton to me though =/. I had a plate die awhile ago and that's what I remember seeing first.

Does it still accept food? I wouldn't feed pellets, try more meaty foods. Maybe mysis?

I have tries to identify the species but they all look alike to me. Here is a site: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fungiidae.htm and http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralsearch.php pick fungia for genus, hit search and go halfway down to the fungia and there are quite a bit as well shown. The exact species I have, I do not know - I cannot discern it.

It accepted mysis tonight pretty greedily - 'faster' than the pellets. It had about 7-9 mysis - slurping them up in such slow motion. So yes it is eating. It hasn't lost color - that I am aware of - if that is sign of anything - except for the ridges in question.

DementedLullaby

I wish you good luck and please keep us updated :). I'm trying to learn my best as I go along with these guys. I really like them. Mine eats mysis at an incredibly fast rate.

If anyone else has some information please post.

the white spots are exposed skeleton. i give the plate a couple of weeks at best. :( its dying

Is there anything that can be done about it? Possible causes so I can see if can be remedied?

I am no expert on sick corals, but I would continue to feed it as long as it will take food. You may want to move it to a new area of the tank if you can find info on its preferred lighting intensity/flow regime.

Did it look like this when you bought it? Did it have its tenticles extended in its former tank?

I am no expert on sick corals, but I would continue to feed it as long as it will take food. You may want to move it to a new area of the tank if you can find info on its preferred lighting intensity/flow regime.

Did it look like this when you bought it? Did it have its tenticles extended in its former tank?

Actually, today I am seeing for the first time tiny tentacles 1/8 inch long or so one one side that were not there in the past few weeks. Aside from the whitening of the risdges in the photo above, it has been the same as when I got it in terms of color. I will keep trying the mysis as it gobbled it up 'quicker' than the pellet. Hopefully it'll recover.

In terms of positioning, i cannot put it on the rocks b/c of it being a plate. It gets unblocked lighting. Do you think it required less intense exposure?

Dunno. Do some searches here and on the greater 'web regarding care of plate corals and see what you find.

If it continues to take food and you feed it things that are not empty calories (like brine shrimp) I think it may recover.

Archived