RBTA under PC?

Obsessed Reefer

Many people have kept bta's under pc lighting, even normal output. www.karensroseanemones.com will help you in researching proper care of these creatures. be sure to buy a clone from a local reefer as well.

I kept a RBTA under 192 PC in a 40 breeder for ~ 1 year. It thrived and split once.

Then this memorial day I left for 5 days expecting temperate weather. I didnt plug in the AC. It ended up being hot and the room heated the tank to the point that my Nem and sps started a crash.

Personally I wouldnt do one in less than a 20 gal and 130PC. But the lighing threshold is more likely closer to 80-100w pc. I saw a guy succesfully keeping one under 48w in a 12ncdx, but it didnt look 100%

clone=asexually repoduced duplicate

Anemones, as well as other cnidarians like shrooms, often split down the middle, kinda like cell division, to form 2 where ther was once 1. Stressful conditions, such as overfeeding or big water changes, often are the trigger for this

Obsessed Reefer

Is it better to get a clone? Does that mean that it wont split again?

I was thinking about starting a 12G MH RBTA and pair'd B&W clowns... In like november/december.

It will be cramped once he gets big, but doable IMO. Esentially no room for coral. But thats cool. I can watch a clown host all day. Ver relaxing.

No, if you get a clone, it probably will split again. BUt that is a good thing. Its an easy $30.

A couple things to keep in mind is as the clowns grow you are going to have to put more and more food into that 12 gals of water, every day. So plan on big weekly WCs.

And I would make sure you get some type of wave action going, even if its just back and forth between 2 returns. Ive seen nems in small tanks with a linear flow find their favorite spot right under the overflow on the back wall. IMO a local that is dangerous and displeasing to the aquascape

IMO RBTA are not too tough to keep heathy, however there are some factors that must be addressed and some risk factors that really cant be fully grasped untill you have your nem crash our tank unexpectedly

Obsessed Reefer

Yea. I plan on only having the RBTA. Maybe some gsp after it settles down.

I also plan on putting a MJ1200 to replace the stock pump, with a 'Y' return. and the stock pump in chamber 1 with a single out put, maybe the hydor flo.

Sounds good man. GSP seems like a good coice. Eveyone deserves a nice lawn. I try to remember to give you some feed back when I see the pics go up this winter. :D

Obsessed Reefer

Well this is in planning. I need to pay off my current tank. Hopefully I pay it off on my birthday, then can start funding this one by Christmas.

Sea_Of_Treachery

I really think to keep the anemone quite healthy you would need a large amount of pc, better yet pick up a t-5 or mh fixture. i wouldn't do any anemone in a 12g, way too small, and like schwazreef said, you would pretty much pollute the tank with feeding and such. get at least a 20g tank, very good lighting, good skimmer, and i would probably do a fuge as well. Im going to set up a clown/anemone system with a few select corals as soon as i pick up my aga tank today.

Obsessed Reefer

I dont feel like making another thread for this question....

If you have a MJ1200 on a return from a sump, what size pump would you have on the drain?

I have a GBTA in my 10 gallon tank. It is under a Coralife 96W PowerQuad. I have had it for almost a year now and it is doing well. My water parameters are good, nitrates at 0 everytime. I am running a 4.5 gallon refugium with chaeto so that helps. Eats silversides and mysis.

N.O. Flurorescent lighting will not be sufficient for a BTA.

Obsessed Reefer

andre: Do you have any pics of it?

I'm planning to add a 5.5 Gallon sump to my Nano Cube. and I will add MH. and a protein skimmer

I have an rbta in my 16 under the 96 quad. It is in very low flow right up at the top of the tank. I've only had it for a few months, but it seems to be doing well. I feed it occasionally(mysis and silversides) but I think the main reason it is doing well so far is that my clown hosts it. btw I also have a 5 gal. fuge and a skimmer. slightly dated pic is in my avatar.

i have a RBTA in my 55g under 246w of PC. it use to be under 96w but it bleached so i added 96 more watts then another 54w and now its gotten it color back and looks good.

At my LFS they have 3 RBTA that have each split from one with 2 percs and some gsp in a stock nanocube. those anemones r nice! the tentacles r nice and long with a n ice dark rose color.

I have a flower anem under 48W of PC's and it is doing great. Also, thyey are really easy to take care of and come in many different colors.

texx

andre: Do you have any pics of it?

I'm planning to add a 5.5 Gallon sump to my Nano Cube. and I will add MH. and a protein skimmer

Here it is:

04-16-06GBTAeatingactinic5.jpg

It was not hungry when I fed it that time so my clownfish ate the mysis.

MH is great for the anemone. It will probably move to the lower part of the tank though as they do not like too much light.

Obsessed Reefer

Well either MH or massive PC.

You two ppl with the 96quad. How long are the bulbs themselves. and do the mounting legs have to go on the end of the fixture, or in other words, can i fit it on a nano cube?

I've had a GBTA in a NC24 with 108 watts Pc for the past two months. It's doing A'ight, just took a while to find a place with the right flow and light. I't just finally stopped moving around at night which I take as a good thing.

Yes, mine is a clone. I would not have gotten it otherwise.

Archived