Cultivated Reef

Zoo ID, not found on zoaid

FLIPbmw

frag081903os5.jpg

That is what it looks like. You can see a bit of pink in it in person. I haven't found it on zoaid. I just want to know what the common name for this would be.

lol, those aren't zoas. they are pest anemones...KILL THEM

If you don't know what you are talking about, you shouldn't make a response so intense.

Those aren't pest anemones. They are just dull light brown zoas.

DementedLullaby
If you don't know what you are talking about, you shouldn't make a response so intense.

Those aren't pest anemones. They are just dull light brown zoas.

That's why he's just an apprentice.

ReefApprentice

The only ones with skirts like that are armageddon and those aint armageddon. Who cares anyways? If they ain't amazing colors, cool names aren't going to make the sell for more money.

The only ones with skirts like that are armageddon and those aint armageddon. Who cares anyways? If they ain't amazing colors, cool names aren't going to make the sell for more money.

wow that was retarded.

im pretty sure that there are other zoas/palys that have skirts like those. If you dont have any constructive things to say, just keep it to yourself.

BTW, those look like palys, alot of palys and zoas are not named, so dont worry about getting a positive ID. just enjoy watching them color up because they look browned out right now :)

as far as common name goes, how about...brown palys? :P

Just wondering what kind it was if its a zoanthid or palythoa (sp).

and BTW I just sold this frag to someone that was looking for a different color paly. I had greens, yellows, purples and what not, but the first frag he pointed to was this :D

Even with a cool name, I wouldn't be able to sell my frags across boarders. Im stuck selling my stuff at 30-60cents a polyp :angry: when u guys pay like 5$ :lol:

DementedLullaby

If I understand correctly an easy way to tell Palys from Zoa's is that Zoa's do the whole mat thing to reproduce while palys bud off each other. If it's spreading a mat then it's most likely a zoanthid. I could be wrong so **shrug**. If someone wants to cofirm/deny this go for it.

In a few weeks I may be up for buying some more frags if you have anything ~_^ hehe.

take care

pufferpoison

That is just totally wacked. I have Reverse Gorilla Nipples that have skirts like that and also have many palys that have skirts like that.

You shouldn't tell someone to kill off their livestock, especially if you don't know what your talking about, and obviously you don't.

those are palys for sure. Palys are usually BIGGER and spread by "budding" and zoas Mat (for the most part, not all)

They aren't RARE or valuable to anybody but YOU. If you like them, they are valuable. ZOAID only has a small handful of names for zoas / palys. As long as we as an industry keep worrying about "names" and such, prices will stay high for zoas and people will keep making $20 - $50 a POLYP!!!!!!

there just zoas, look nice and if you get some frags, sell or trade them and help other reefers out. Make some $$$$ but let's quit going crazy on "zoas" because of names and charging an arm and leg for them. make a few bucks and leave it at that.

of course lets see if I still say that once I've acquired all of the worlds rarest zoas and only sell them as "frag packs" and make a killing off of it.

MWHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

The Propagator

The differences in paltythoas and protopalythoas are that palythoas grow stalks and have large mouths with large discs and somtimes grow mats too. Protopalythoas ALWAYS grow in a mat formation and look like little craters when closed and very short large diameter polyps when open.

The difference in palythoas and zoanthus is mainly just shear size.

There are zoanthus that grow in mat formation as well as single polyps that bud off, but the size of the mouth , the thickness of the polyp and the shear size of the polyp its self is always a dead give away.

ReefAprentice, I would hate to see your tank brother if you think those are pest anemones.

Flow and maturity brings out the long tenticles on the polyps.

85 percent or so of zoanthus out there as well as certain palythoas produce them.

There is this new thing out now called the internet. ( you may have hear dof it?);)

If you do a google search ( thats a search engine, its similiar to looking somthing up in the librairy ), or even an online LFS search your gonna find 85 percent or so of the zoanthus they sell have longe tenticles around the skirt. :)

Most of your Solomon island zoanthus dont though because they are just a genus of zoanthus that stay realy small ( IE ereaser head or smaller). BUT they are the more brightly colored of the species so it make up for the smallness. some of the Florida Keys species zonthids dont have long tenticle skirts either but very few.

Archived