ReefCleaners.org

What kind of salt does everyone use?

jjc05010

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
beyondtheblue

I started off using Oceanic and now for water changes I uses Catalina NSW. Its just too damn easy not to use. I havent seen any bad reviews from anyone using it.

I started off using Oceanic and now for water changes I uses Catalina NSW. Its just too damn easy not to use. I havent seen any bad reviews from anyone using it.

I've been using NSW now for about a month, even got the PALS card for when it goes on sale, lol! But it seems to work well for me. The IO sal mix I started my tank on worked just fine too, so I could go either way on it between IO mix or NSW... But like said, NSW is a no brainer. Buy, open and pour!

I used Catalina NSW and had phosphate problems so I switched to TM and everything is running good...I hate mixing salt and would love to go back to NSW but I have some high priced corals in my tank that Id hate to see die....

I used Catalina NSW and had phosphate problems so I switched to TM and everything is running good...I hate mixing salt and would love to go back to NSW but I have some high priced corals in my tank that Id hate to see die....

That's a good point, I should test my NSW for phosphates. I've had some hair algae pop up on the corners of a couple of my rocks... And no one is eating it up either. :angry:

Tested mine last night @ 0.05 phosephate level. :( My tank is at 0.1 right now which would sound about right from using enough of the NSW. I'm on my 3rd box of it after using it for water changes and topping off from when I drip acclimate stuff. Back to RO/DI and IO for me, ugh!

Thats why I switched to tropic marin....The NSW is so easy to use though I wish they would get rid of those phosphates!

Thats why I switched to tropic marin....The NSW is so easy to use though I wish they would get rid of those phosphates!

That has to be coming from their treatment process, I mean it's not coming from the ocean like that, or can it be? Guess it all depends on where in the ocean they are pumping it from... =/

I heard they get it from the long beach harbor

Well that much I knew, but how far out. I'm gonna gag if I hear it's from the actual harbor, and not further out in the open. That is some NASTY ocean water there...

well here in miami i kno were it comes from

the company that supplies all the pet shops and wholesalers is call

VIP the get it from the bay AT HIGH TIDE when all the clean water is rushing in

low tide would mean its all the nasty crap from the bay

but it need to be from an open bay if its damned to keep it more fresh then it

loses the flushing action of the low tide

must be harvested at the peak of high tide

Oceanic... just cuz I get it cheap. I do seem to have less algae over the IO stuff I used to use. Don't know if thats connected or not though.

I switched to Oceanic from Instant Ocean a few weeks ago, after browsing the forum. Wow. No more 'undissolved solids after 24 hours with the air pump' and it's fairly cheap, too.

Oceanic is what I used till it got old making one gal at a time. Now I use catalina ROW. I only need one gal a week and its just a lot easier.

Archived