Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What kind of salt does everyone use?

jjc05010

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
instant ocean but I'll switch when I finish this bucket

To what?

Has anyone heard any thing about Red Sea Coral pro Salt? That supposedly guarentees water parameters of pH 8.2, Calcium 450ppm, Alkalinity:2.2-2.5 meg/l with a specific gravity of 1.023?

i use reef crystals, anyone ever check the calcium in this? bad choice for a mostly softy tank?

I use Reef Crystals and have been pleased with it for my monti's and zoas!

LFS's as well as Petcos around my area (LA) tend to use IO salt for premixed, as well as offer true Catalina ocean water (boxed for Petco and in huge tanks alongside the RO/DI at the LFS's).

According to the results on Catalina Water Co's website, Bio-Sea Marinemix seemed to be the shining star in terms of "best" salt, but I've heard other comparisons showed IO to be the winner... I was thinking of trying out SeaChem's Reef Salt for my next bag though, I don't hear too much about that stuff. Is there really a "best" salt mix to use or is it all purely personal preferance?

Was using Crystal sea, or maybe reef crystals cant remember, but now using IO and have been pleased, but I dont test for anything besides the trates/trites,pH, and ammonia so I dont really know.

Instant Ocean for me. PH is solid at 8.3, I dose with a 2 part chemical so my calcium is always 400+. I've never used anything else and at this point I have no reason to switch and risk an unhappy tank.

Instant Ocean.

Trying to get my hands on Tropic Marin but haven't been able to find it local. Will definately switch to Tropic Marin if I can find it.

IO but have been doing water changes with Cataline NSW. I really like the stuff but may not be feasible in the long run with gas prices. Closest Petco is 55 miles away.

Archived