SaltCritters.com

(JBJ 24dx) progress on my newly transferred tank

reefer_365

hi everyone,

exactly one week ago today i transferred my 12g eclipse into a new 24dx from nanocustoms. my port watchman goby is doing fine, and my pistol shrimp is too. No ammonia, temp is 75-78, nitrates are about 20-30ppm, im going to see if i can get them down by taking ceramic rings and bioballs out(i guess im going to have to wait on my LPs for a while). But anyway, after doing a lot of research, here are the mods i plan on making

1. as soon as i transferred my tank, i realized right away that the pump was not strong enough. I have a maxi jet 1200 that i ordered last wed. from marine depot (might be here today!) I have lots of tubing around from my freshwater eheim, so if the tubing isn't long enough, im prepared.

2. Im using the stock lighting, and instead of trying to mod it, im just going to deal with it for six months (which i discovered is the real length of the pcbulbs even though they said it is 9-12) until around december. Then, im going to buy the 132w pc and electronic ballast upgrade kit which is $100 now on nanocustoms. Im sure it will be down in price a little. In the meantime with the 72w, i plan on putting in some hardy LPs like candycane, an open brain, and some plate

3. i also plan on building a refugium in the middle chamber with some cheato. Ive been doing research and i discovered that keeping macro algae cuts down nitrates, and you can keep it in the back chamber so it doesn't outrun your tank. Sounded like a great idea to me, so this is my current project. My LFS sells many varieties of macro cheap so it will be easy to get it. i thought cheato would be the best one since it doesnt send spores "flying through the tank"

im currrently looking for a small submersible 20w halogen light of som sort (like the little ones you put in your kitchen cupboard for that extra light) that i can attatch with a little suction cup back there so i can keep the macro. I think they are pretty cheap so that will be easy.

4. in the first chamber, i plan on taking out the bottom sponge and buying some Seachem "Purigen" in a mesh bag and putting it there. My LFS carries every product SEachem has so ill keep an eye out for it. Since it's summer and i just transferred my tank, ive been having outbreaks of algae. (brown, slime, and hair) Ive had it for about 4 days, and if it doesnt go away in a week im buying some phosban just to eliminate it

Clean up crew: my clean up crew is doing a great job on the algae. I have five astreas, two scarlet hermits, and five red-tipped hermits.

I have a 75 watt stealth marineland heater in the third chamber, thought id go with 75 instead of 100 so it doesn't over heat with the maxijet powerhead, and other devices i might put in.

Like i said i have lots of tubing and elbows so i can get creative with water flow

here is a list of first fish i plan on adding:

1. a pair of clowns ( don't know what species yet, definitely not maroon, but maybe a clarkii)

2. firefish

3. six-line wrasse

I also heard that nanocustoms may be coming up with a protein skimer that fits in the second compartment. Im getting my hands on that as soon as it comes out

that "modular surface skimmer" that they give you doesn't do much lol

So basically, these are my beginning plans for my newly transferred 24dx. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and another thing: If anyone knows of a small submersible, halogen lamp about 20w that could fit in with the the middle chamber please let me know a.s.a.p

I will be posting any updates

Thanks!

i also like the popular mod of fitting a low power mjet in the 1st chamber. I know some feel this is a disadvantage because it causes interference in the mechanical filtration. I was going to take out one of the sponges, place the jet on the bottom, and make a narrow pipe traveling up to the surface of the chamber through the sponges out of connectors in the front left corner. The nozzle would be right above the skimmer. Good idea?

oh, the maxijet that i was going to put in the second chamber was a 900

and with the refugium, i decided to go with macro algae instead of lr rubble, sounds like it traps too much nitrate. As soon as i find a submersible lamp ill have that done, but im still debating whether i should empty out the entire second chamber with the macro algae, or leave in the carbon bag and sponge that could hold in some trates with the macro algae on top. Would taking it out make a differnce since the macro will be cutting down the nitrates anyway, and i dont want to mess up the stock filtration and the flow too much.

the reason im asking this is because i looked up tank refugiums and refugium lighting on the forums, but none of them apply specificly to the back compartment in the nanocube. Most refugiums on the forums were tanks 5g or more that overhang as controlled growing areas. again, any suggestions would be great

post-21532-1155650871_thumb.jpgpost-21532-1155650609_thumb.jpgThese are some pics of after i transferred the eclipse into the 24g. The water is a bit cloudy, sorry.

(i had to add them as thumbnails because they are too big)

this is after the tank cleared up, Sunday. You can see my aquascaping much better.

hold on, the picture isn't showing. technical difficulties

man, how i hate putting pictures on the web. i can only attatch them as thumbnails.

it doesn't show up under the url, i have no clue why i just edited to the right format on image zone so it should fit

Archived