Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can my new Fluval 405 be a "fuge" for my 44?

mvite

Hey everyone--I just made an awesome trade with dextermoped and got a shiny, new Fluval 405. I was originally going to use it to run carbon and LR rubble on my 130 prop tub. Now that I have it, I realize that the prop tub is fine for filtration and "fuge" capabilities. I have zillions of mysids and pods. I am now considering filling the Fluval full of rubble and putting it under my 44 gallon pentagon that has no refugium. I know the Fluval is rated for 100 gallon tanks, but who cares?! I could always use the current from the Fluval and was thinking of hooking up a SCWD to the return to allow me to get rid of some of my powerheads in the 44--to get rid of some clutter.

Does anyone think the water turnover will be too great for this? Also, I have heard so many reefers tell me that their canister filled with rubble was a great substitute refugium---does anyone disagree? I am concerned about the constantly dark environment and it's affect on the beneficial critters---or maybe it's affect on the NON BENEFICIAL ones is what I should be worrying about.

Can you let me know your thoughts ASAP? The way I go, I am surprised I haven't set it up while I was typing!!!

I am just looking for some opinions---they don't have to be good ones! :)

I don't plan on using a light or any macro. I just want the canister to provide somewhere that pods can grow within LR rubble. Will a dark environment be bad for pods?

If any of you use a canister with rubble---or if you have considered it and changed your mind, let me know.

I have thought about a doing this but it would not be much of a refugium. i don't know if pods are capable of growing in there with the strong current. I have pods all over in my main tank and none of my livestock eat them so they flourish.

It might be in the wrong forum. Maybe General, just guessing with no responses.

I have thought about a doing this but it would not be much of a refugium. i don't know if pods are capable of growing in there with the strong current. I have pods all over in my main tank and none of my livestock eat them so they flourish.

It might be in the wrong forum. Maybe General, just guessing with no responses.

That's what I was concerned about--I can see the pods clinging to the rock for dear life! :)

I got the filter from someone who says he uses one with LR and then he uses the LR to "seed" friends tanks because his is brimming with critters. I just was under the impression that LR always needed light. It would be a "refuge" in every sense of the word as there couldn't be effective predation in there but I don't know about life in 24 hour darkness.

I may be in the wrong forum---I may have to wait until someone is REALLY bored! :)

i have heard someone putting in a submersible light and filling his with chaeto. been trying to find out wut kind of light. i think the lr provides great filtration in the fluval and if nothing else, like you said...great water flow, not a fuge, but there would definetly be life in there.

Archived