Top Shelf Aquatics

New Cube on the Block

br1910

I think the first mod that should be done is having the flow from the first chamber to the second chamber opened up like br1910 did. That was the first thing that I did. It makes it so much easier to fit a heater in the back section. Honestly, so far I haven't even had to add the heater yet. I replaced the stock pump with a maxijet 1200 and that alone keeps the temperatures are 79 at night and 81 during the day when the lights are on. For those who have the 14 gal, the maxijet 1200 and a hydor flo make a perfect solution for water movement. I would definitely recommend the hydor flo. Simulated ocean currents in a nano reef is a beautiful thing!!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 8 gallon and I do not really want to mod it. I bought an all in one system to keep things simple. If I was going to hack it all up I would not have bought a cube.

I do not understand the comment about BioBalls leaveing nitrate and live rock taking care of them. Assumeing it is accurate would'nt the live rock in the tank take care of the nitrates.? I have also read it is a bad idea to use cheato in a nano tank.

Disclaimer: I am a newb to salt water so I probably have no idea what I am talking about. B)

Mike

Fishguy, you are correct. The live rock in the tank is also a form of filtration for reef tanks. That is why a lot of people like to have good flow going through their tank. Of course, the corals love the flow as well, but a lot of it has to do with pushing water through the rocks. The same concept holds through for putting live rock in your filtration area, but even a little better because you have your water constantly flowing through your filtration area.

As far as not moding your nano, that is completely up to you. You don't have to mod it, but everything can be improved upon. That is why most people mod their nanos. My only suggestion would be to get rid of the bioballs if you are planning on having corals in your nano. Other than that, it is completely up to you.

As far as not moding your nano, that is completely up to you. You don't have to mod it, but everything can be improved upon. That is why most people mod their nanos. My only suggestion would be to get rid of the bioballs if you are planning on having corals in your nano. Other than that, it is completely up to you.

Thanks for the advice Lou. I do not want to hijack this thread so I will drop it. I did take a quick look around and found arguments for and agaist the BioBalls for a reef. Perhaps I will bring it up on a more appropriate thread.

I have to agree with both of you. I have had mine now for about 3 weeks and I am starting to look for replacement media for the first chamber and I cannot find anyone that is carrying it. You would think that would be their bread and butter and I cannot find anything.

I saw some replacement filters at my LFS last night. The bad news is they are charging $10.00 for two.

I actually just found some at my LFS as well. They were a little cheaper. $7.99 for two.

yup LFS says the media is shipping nation wide now.

also the introductory rate is now gone all the reordered are at the normal price

$299 for the 29G and so on. so if you were thinking about buying one get them before they have to reorder thats for sure.

Enraged) Fraid your going to have to wait on that hood adventure. I did some prioritizng, and I think I need to get any filter and interior tank mods done first. Then while the tank is cycling I can Take on the hood/lighting issues. And some where in there Make a stand for it.

To much to do and not enough time for what I want to do. Sound familar?

Basser1) Heres a pic of the now wider opening.

P1000009.jpg

bummer my LFS has stands for the 14 and 29 in stock now and they look pretty decent. they are a cams system of interlocking so i would still brace the panels with the L braces but the door had black tinted glass and all that in it.

Again gang, if you're looking for a fair price on all 3 sizes of the Biocube check this seller out from ebay. I bought one from him and received mine yesterday via UPS in excellent condition. Here is the link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Corals-Plus_Other_W...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

As far as the stands go, I found a source on-line by the name of Marine Scene. I just ordered a stand for a 29 gallon cube for $191 including sales tax and shipping. The person I spoke to, Scott, said that if anyone is interested in getting one to contact them by Monday and they could probably have them in by next Thursday. Their web is:

www.marinescene.com

I have had to order my Biocube stuff on-line because my local lfs do not have any plans to carry these right now. They are happy with the Current Nano Cubes. Hope this helps.

O.K. folks, I'm new to this cube aquarium thing. I was wondering about a refugium for this tank. Would a HOB work? The canopy seems to be a pretty tight fit. Or do I convert the middle chamber into one? Any info is welcomed. Thanks

O.K. folks, I'm new to this cube aquarium thing. I was wondering about a refugium for this tank. Would a HOB work? The canopy seems to be a pretty tight fit. Or do I convert the middle chamber into one? Any info is welcomed. Thanks

I talked my team lead at work in to a 14G yesterday :D

the back of the tank didn't have a film on it so i don't see how to do a cut and light method.

but the hood had a lot of room to mount a pendant fuge light over any of the chambers.

I must say i was very impressed with the quality of those tanks my LFS said that the "special" prices were literally for the first shipment and now when the order they are all at full price.

Hi all, last night I was looking at my empty tank and decided to see if the black film on the outside back of the tank would come off ( who sees the back anyways)? I used a single edged razor blade to scratch off a little area to try and the film does come off. I think this would be great for those who want to try steelhair's fuge light mod. While I was at it I also widened the chamber like br1910 did.

In my opinion the bio cube is better. Not only is it better in everway. But heres some pluses.

A. Cheaper than nano cube

B. Has moon lights

C. Is bigger

D. Its made by oceanic

and on top of that all ITS CHEAPER!

Yes dismantle that hood and show us its entrails! ;)

Here's a pic of the 29 entrails.

I was looking closer at the wiring board in the hood. It looks like the fans are standard 2 wire pc fans. The connections are the same as most of the fan connections on PC motheboards. It also looks like you could put larger fans in there, as there is a fair amount of wasted space around the stock fans.

post-12796-1156105808_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the 29 entrails.

I was looking closer at the wiring board in the hood. It looks like the fans are standard 2 wire pc fans. The connections are the same as most of the fan connections on PC motherboards. It also looks like you could put larger fans in there, as there is a fair amount of wasted space around the stock fans.

wow fans could have been set up a bit better.

It appears as though the air movement just runs over the wiring and is sucked out the other side?!?!?..

in the front are vents underneath the heat shield like the Aqua pod?

perhaps you could flip the exhaust fan over and have it suck in and over the lights to exhaust out the front?

The more i look at the reflector it does not look like it is even slotted? how isa the air supposed to cool the bulbs? very odd

A question for those who already have one. I plan to pick up a 29 and would like to mod the center chamber as a fuge. Is the lid tight enough that I can light the fuge at night without light leaking into the display area? Also, does this system look like a good candidate for the aqua-c nano skimmer? Thanks!

I guess that would depend on where you light it from.

I plan on the light to be on the back shining in through the back wall. The center chamber has a rack that is suspended near the top. I'm going to use it to hold some kind of filter media( sponge, white floss, Puri Gen, charcoal, something).I'm sure this will contain a good amount of the refugium light. But untill I actually get it done, I'm not sure to what extent.

I'm very curious as to how other people plan on splitting up there refugium area. I was thinking about three inchs for LR, and six inchs for the macro algea.

A question for those who already have one. I plan to pick up a 29 and would like to mod the center chamber as a fuge. Is the lid tight enough that I can light the fuge at night without light leaking into the display area? Also, does this system look like a good candidate for the aqua-c nano skimmer? Thanks!

Here is the best photo I could get with the lid on. Notice the gap between the filter area and the top. The plastic on the right is the unopened filter for the first champer. The reflection in the center is the back glass of the second filter chamber. The reflection on the top is the bulb cover. I was going to put a fuge light on the filter access lid, but I have not tried it yet. I think the light would bleed over to the display area of the tank, without some modification of the filter wall.

post-12796-1156204896_thumb.jpg

For those who widened the flow from the 1st to 2nd chamber, how much did this increase the level of water in the 2nd and third chamber?

Im curious as I want to move my heater to the 3rd chamber but as it is the water level is between the min and max levels per the guage on the side of the tank. And I would like to get more LR in the 2nd chamber.

The water level went from about 1/3 full to 2/3 full. But I think this will also vary by how much water you add to the tank.

When I made the opening larger, the water level in the display area dropped about 1/16 of an inch. not much at all.

What kind of heater are you using?

Hello All,

I am a new nano-reefer planning to purchase a 29gal Biocube within the week. Has any one added an additional skimmer? Is it even possible? I need to get my hand on the unit to see what's possible I guess.

Thankx,

crayatc

yup LFS says the media is shipping nation wide now.

also the introductory rate is now gone all the reordered are at the normal price

$299 for the 29G and so on. so if you were thinking about buying one get them before they have to reorder thats for sure.

bummer my LFS has stands for the 14 and 29 in stock now and they look pretty decent. they are a cams system of interlocking so i would still brace the panels with the L braces but the door had black tinted glass and all that in it.

Thanks for the tip! Finally something in driving distance :D

Just purchased my 29g Bio Cube for $250 and stand for $100 tax included.

Tank is great and stand looks nice and is sturdy but , they shoulnt have bothered with the instruction for the stand they were worthless had to figure it out on my own. Will be setting it up this week after I recieve my new RO filters.

Archived