inTank Media Baskets

New Cube on the Block

br1910

Hi all, last night I was looking at my empty tank and decided to see if the black film on the outside back of the tank would come off ( who sees the back anyways)? I used a single edged razor blade to scratch off a little area to try and the film does come off. I think this would be great for those who want to try steelhair's fuge light mod. While I was at it I also widened the chamber like br1910 did.

Basser1: What did you use a razor blade? I'm assuming you scratched it off from the outside. How hard was it? I have LR rubble in the second chamber and plan to put cheato, but I need to figure out how to light it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ablepharous.... I used a single edge scraper, like you would use to scrape paint off a window. You only have to use a litlle pressure to take it off. HTH. :D

Hey there br1910..... Have any updates on the tank? I have not set-up my 29 gal. cube yet, I just got the stand for it. I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How have you got your chambers set up? I'm planning on putting either live rubble or chaeto in it.

2. I noticed the center chamber has a bio-ball strainer near the bottom of the middle chamber. Did you leave your's in or take it out?

3. Do you use the over-flow tray?

4. Did you replace your stock pump? I'm thinking about the maxi-jet 1200. I noticed the stock pump is rated for 243 gph while the maxi 1200 is rated at 295 gph.

Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

Basser1: Got the new tank huh. Cool. I've been wayyy busy lately. But this weekend is Build a Stand weekend! :P Finally !!! Then I can start to fill the tank. As for you questions....

1. My chambers: First chamber inflow and a MJ 900 plumbed back to the tank through the bulkhead. Second chamber TOP- I'm leaving the overflow tray in and I'm planning to put filter floss on top. Middle- top 6 inchs room for macro algea, next 3 inchs for Live rock, Bottom- probaly more live rock( just worried about a "dead" area on the bottom oposite the outlet to the third chamber) Third Chamber: Stock pump plumbed through bulkhead to a Hydor Flow (they are sooo cool) and a heater.

2. Probably will leave it in and add some screen to stop macro algea from making it to the third chamber.

3. Over flow tray? Top tray in the second chamber? Plan to keep it to hold filter floss and or sock of Purigen.

4. Nope been thinking on it but I think I'll get it up and going and see. That would be a simple swap out later. Also been looking for a "pump" stlye pump in stead of a powerhead style pump, for that area. It gets crowded with the heater in there.

I Don't know about you, but it's been driving me crazy each time I see it sitting there dry..... :naughtydance:

But first things first... A stand...then any chamber or bulkhead MODS I want.... then water....cycle....hood MODS.

Keep me updated on your progress... You start a thread yet? I looker for one but didn't find one. Let me know where it is if you do.

Later, B

I know what you mean about looking at it dry. I've had my tank for about 3 weeks, but I just got the stand last weekend.

I haven't really started a thread yet, but I thought this one could be the "official" Bio-cube thread.

Thats fine with me. Anyone want's to post Bio Cube related stuff here.. go for it.

Does that stand have two doors? And I seen a pic for the smaller stand, was that glass on the doors?

BR1910. I too have a BC29. Are you scratch building your stand? If so I would really like a description (with pictures please) as I will be building my own stand (after my house gets built).

Skimmer anyone? I was wondering about cutting the lid over the first chamber for a remora nano.

A thought about raising h2o level in center for a fuge: I am thinking about adding a little more height to the baffle in the pump chamber. I think that will help raise water level in fuge (2nd chamber) and help keep chunks of crud from getting into pump chamber and eating your impeller.

Just some thoughts. Like y'all, having that thing in the box instead of full of water is making me nuts. omgomgomg

ps I'm thinking the smallest tunze nanostream is going to be perfect for upping the flow. Can't wait for water! :D

Hey Everyone,

New to the forums. I too have had a BioCube 29 up and running for about a two Months now. I have cut the second Chamber and added a Maxi Jet 1200. In the second Chamber I've also added Live rubble.

Has anyone tried a skimmer or have started a fuge set up ?

br1910 - I have a second pump in the first chamber as well. Have you noticed any temperature rises?.....I Have, My temps were a steady 78-80 and now they are a steady 81-83. Considering upgrading the fans or pulling the pump out.

Welcome aboard Malakas07 :welcome:

When I first got the tank, I did a temp test, with the stock pump, MJ 900 and the lights on for 12 hours a day. At night the temp was 79 and at the end of the day when I got home the temp was 81.

How did you get a MJ 1200 in the first chamber? I'm currently trying to figure out how to plum a MJ 900 in there. And any tips and insught would be greatly appreciated.

Any pictures of the tank? or chambers?

B

Hey everyone!! I was looking on-line for a source for the filter cartridges and I came across this vendor for them:

http://www.leisure-time.com/occ.htm?B3=Return+to+shopping

They also stock all sizes of the Bio-cubes as well as the stands. I placed an order for 2 of the cartridges last week-end and are shipping out today. Enjoy your Bio Cubes!!

That website looks like a reject from the 80s.

Ive read this whole forum and learned alot thanks guys, Now ive got a question, with the stock lights what type of coral will thrive or stay healthy in the oceanic 29, my birthday is next thursday and i will be getting it soon. therefore i want to get a good idea on what kind of corals i can keep and how i will arrange them. Also from my understanding it is best to take the bio balls out and then replace those with live rock rubble in the middle chamber? and can i put macroalgae in there on top of the rubble without putting a light in there for the macroalgae? I know many questions and im sorry but i havent had much success with the nanos and i want to do this one right. I really appreciate it thanks

kurt

Good News!!! Hi gang, I was on the RC website and there is someone there who has the 29 gallon BioCube and he says he has the Tunze reefpack 200 skimmer in the middle chamber and it fits.... without mods!! He sent me some pics, he also says the lid closes fine. Here are links to the pics:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/joh...ry/100_0991.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/joh...ry/100_0990.jpg

Hope this Helps and Enjoy those Cubes!! ;)

I am new to the whole marine aquarium thing so i got myself a 29 gallon biocube.

I would really like to ditch the bioballs and set up a refugium but I have no idea as to how it should be done. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Good News!!! Hi gang, I was on the RC website and there is someone there who has the 29 gallon BioCube and he says he has the Tunze reefpack 200 skimmer in the middle chamber and it fits.... without mods!! He sent me some pics, he also says the lid closes fine. Here are links to the pics:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/joh...ry/100_0991.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/joh...ry/100_0990.jpg

Hope this Helps and Enjoy those Cubes!! ;)

Cool, I've been looking for a good skimmer for mine. I'll have to look at it at MACNA.

I just went from a 90 gallon down to a 29 G Bio CUbe

i love it goint to do the second chamer mod now i like that idea

My tank never get hot though set at 78 degrees and never moves even with lights on

Im using a Marineland Stealth 100watt

maybe because it is in my basement and it is cooler

But Question where does everyone put there heater exactly and what size do you all use in a 29g Bio Cube

ok did the mod and now the main tank water goes down just under the top black fram

and iff u add water all that does is fiull the sump area so how can i make main tank water a little higher

Maybe partially cover the intake grating. I haven't done it myself but I think it should work.

Hah, Im trying to do the exact opposite. My Display level is too high, I am trying to get it lower, basically the water is at the rim of the filter area and if the Filter cartridge gets dirty and impedes the flow the water in the display will flow over the rim and into the filter chambers...any idea on how to get the display area lower? I havent done the chamber 1&2 widening mod yet.

Hah, Im trying to do the exact opposite. My Display level is too high, I am trying to get it lower, basically the water is at the rim of the filter area and if the Filter cartridge gets dirty and impedes the flow the water in the display will flow over the rim and into the filter chambers...any idea on how to get the display area lower? I havent done the chamber 1&2 widening mod yet.

That's the reason I removed the stock filter. I placed some purigen and filter floss on the grating in the 2nd chamber, above my fuge.

Archived