Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

"Centrepiece" fish for 5.5g nano

Robbip

Alright, what kind of fish would you add to a 5.5g tank? The only restrictions I'd add are that 1) I don't want gobies or blennies and 2) I want nice colouring

Thanks

/Rob

I know that some people are opposed to this but false percs make great centerpiece fish in 5.5 tanks. Make sure it's the only fish though.

If you are only going to have one fish...I dig a neon dottyback.

If you are only going to have one fish...I dig a neon dottyback.

oops, didn't notice the tank size.

Alright- one thing I didn't mention is that I have a GRAVEL bed, not a sand bed like most.. so, no fish that are sand diggers or like the sand.

Thanks

/Rob

@ supernip & ebin: I have another thread here that has some species of frogfish and scorps I was considering, but a lot of people say that I can't keep them there because these fish are messy and hence ruin the water quality fairly quickly... have you guys got personal experience on the matter to help me out?

Thanks

/Rob

Ive never kept the grouper but my choices are as followed:

1.grouper

2. leaf fish

3. maculatus

4. rogue scorp

Ive kept many anglers in the past and it's true that they have huge dookies but I think they're fine for nano fishes. You feed them 2x a week and fish the poop out. Water change in a 5.5 allows for a lot of "high vol" water changes. You should not have too much of a problem with water quality if you're on top of your maintenance. Of course this could be said of anything, but it's a lot easier to take care of a 5.5's maintenance vs a larger tank.

My picks are based on movement, size and temperament. Respitory wise, these are all inactive fishes (minus grouper, no experience there) so that translates less metabolic waste. However, the huge dookie a few times a week could be a pain.

I know a guy who has the complete backwards view as me and he's an accomplished angler fanatic too so I dunno. Take my advice with a grain of salt

Yeah, I'd do 20% water changes (about a gallon) weekly for sure... about the anglers... won't like hermits crabs and cleanup crew eat their

"big dookies" or so?

P.S the grouper isn't a grouper, it's a small species of scorpionfish!

But thanks a bunch, interesting perspective!

/Rob

Archived