440w of pc versus 432w of t5?

ksupermnp

I'm planing to upgrade my 3 year old 7.5 minibow to an aga 33L. Right now I have mostly softies under a 70w mh and 28w pc for a total of 13w per gallon- the heat is killing me with the mh lights so I'm looking for other alternatives. I would like to venture into sps and clams when the tank reestablishes itself. Both units (440w power compact and 432w t5 ho) I'm looking at are retro fit kits that come with bulbs for basicly the same price plus or minus 50 bucks.

What would you choose and why?

I think that the 432 watts of t5 lighting would be much more strong because they are something like 95% efficient... the pc's arent anywhere near that. You could play around with different assortments of lamps with the t5 too to give you the color tht you really want.

How tall is your tank?

Jesse

Are you sure this is it's dimension? How can it be 33L?

I calculate 32.4 gallons... sounds like a 33L to me. t-5 HO would be great over that tank.

Jesse

432 watt of t5ho would be way too much for a 12" high tank not sure what watts the 48 inch bulbs are but 2 bulbs be just about right for your dimensions... i got 2x24 tek retro on my 24x12x12 tank

newjerseynano

yea 9x54 watt t5 bulbs over a 33L is overkill. get the tek-light 6x54 watter and that will give you 324 watts, plenty for anything coming your way. plus, even 6 bulb units are wider than your tank is, ie tek-light 6x54 unit is 15"W and your tank is 13". so you could go with the 6 bulb unit and hang it, look for another that is thinner, or just get a 4bulb unit. with 4 bulbs with individual reflectors its 216 watts of t5, and since you only have softies, this is plenty plenty. so concluding, i would go with the a 4bulb t5 unit over a 6 bulb cause of space, and that 8-9bulbs is overkill (13wpg of t5!). hth

o yea, and i would go with either a finnex or SLS teklight, the 4 bulb ones will run 200-250, and the 6 bulb ones (finnex of which fits ur tank) will run 320-340. just giving you the option, but if you wanna retro, retro away! i believe that both these product lines have individual reflectors although im not sure of finnex, but i know SLS teklights do. hth

If you are going to go with a quality T5 unit 2 48 inch long T5's would be fine....IF you add anymore on such a short tank you better be making some shade for everything except SPS

Ok so 440w is overkill! Now my next question if I tame back the wattage would you choose vho or t5 forget the pc? Remember I do want to sps eventually. Thanks again for the insite.

t5 ho get a tek rero from reefgeek(about the cheapest i found) 2x54 watt will be plenty for whatever you want to keep anything more and you will be wasteing $$....i researched t5s for 2 weeks b4 i bought mine these put pc and vho to shame you just got to see them in person and you will understand

pufferpoison

yeah i've got a tek light 6x54W t-5 (sunlight supply tek) over my 90G and still have too much light at the bottom for some things. bleached the crap out of my mushrooms (way too much light) I've got a clam and a few SPS that are doing fine under that light, my clam is on the bottom. I'm running 2 6500K, 2 11,000K aquablue plus and 2 antinic plus bulbs. The tank is a little yellow for my taste, so im going to try some more blue, EVERYTHING that hasn't bleached has really took off on growth. I have a devils hand about 1/2 way up and it was about 4" in the LFS and now this sucker is like 9" radius or bigger.

IMO - a tek light or tek retro with 4x54 is going to be enough to grow ANYTHING and yes you will have to shade it for softies / lps in some cases. mine's twice as tall as yours and i'm keeping clams at the bottom and 3 RBTA at the bottom and they have never moved. SO 4x54 is going to be mind blowing in a 12" tall tank. I would recommend 1 6500K GE bulb, 2 AB+ (11,000k) and a super antinic. Good coral growth and not "too much" light.

HTH

Archived