Coral Vue Hydros

are these aiptasia?

Jolio99

Ok I already know what large aiptasia looks like (got 3 on my LR) But what do the smaller ones look like? Do they spread across the glass? I am asking because I have a bunch of "white dots" on my glass. Looking closer, these "dots" have about 5 arms and are about 1/32 of an inch. are these aiptasia? I havent recieved a real answer about these "dots" so any info is appreciated.

i think i know what you're describing. a translucent/white dot with multiple arms/appendages of varying length? about the size of this "O"?

i've always thought they were juvenile amphipods before metamorphosis but others have said they're a type of juvie jellyfish. i've always noted a plague of those dots just prior to a plague of pods so that's why i've always linked the two. not very scientific. :blush:

i think dr. ron over at RC has a pic in his vast library. he probably has a definite answer on that as well.

Thanks for the replies. I have found out that these things are actually small jellyfish. Has anyone had any experience with these organisms? Are they good or bad. But I still dont know what pods are:blush: Thanks

hydroid jellyfish, they come and go, don't seem to bother anything but if you have sensitive skin and don't wear gloves you may get a reaction on your arms. "pods" is a catch-all phrase for copepods, isopods, amphipods, etc.

Jellyfish have a 2 stage life cycle. The one you are describing is the sessile, hydroid stage. The one people think of more commonly, is the free swimming medesa stage.

What you are describing may or may not be jellyfish hydroids. They may simply be small hydroids that do not have alternating life cycles. Some barely move, others move a lot, and others with actually let go and drift to new localities. These guys usually reproduce by budding. If they are forming little rows, I am guessing they are just a small hydroid. Reguardless, they probably have a pretty powerful sting and if they get close to any of your corals will probably do a little bit of damage.

BustytheSnowMaam

You will go through a little breakout of them for awhile, then after a few months it will taper off. I just scraped them off the glass when there were too many.

Tasha

Archived