Top Shelf Aquatics

I need HELP!

RoofSmoker

Well before i went to bed last night the water was perfectly clear, when i woke up this morning it was really cloudy. I dont feed my tank.

nitrate 0

nitrite 0

ammonia 0

The only thing I did last night was bring the salinty back from almost 1.027 to 1.025 with RO water. I just turned on my light and the water actually looks like its getting clearer unless I have been looking at it for to long

All my inverts seem okay my corals are all open except for 1 he looks a little stressed i just lifted teh top off my tank and the water smells like crap.

The only macro i had was a tiny money plant about the size of a half doller but it died or got eaten a long time ago.

I'll tell you the water has a stingy smell to it not like a rotten smell but definatly a distinct oder. enough to make the top of the water smell but not the room.

and since i left to petland to pick up some activated carbon the water has cleared up even more.

I'm thinking of changing about a gallon and a half of water and running the carbon until early sunday think that should be ok? I've also incrased the flow in the tank

wow looking at my tank i can't find a single amphipod anywhere, and just last week they were everywhere. i think somethingis seriously wrong and i ahve no idea what it is. the water is almost perfectly clear again, anyone have any suggestions, please any help would be greatful.

I just did a 1 gallon water change on monday the same like every week, and the water smelled normal not like this. there seems to be a ditrius build up on the rocks, more than usaul. This sucks :(

hmm, could be a couple of things.

one, there could have been something that went "sexual", in a broadcast spawning way, not necessarily an algae but a coral, worm, or bivalve.

another possibility is that your water precipitated CaCO3 somehow. maybe a waterchange or additive triggered it.

the extra detritus that you currently see is probably the "cloudiness" that settled. closer examination of that will probably point you in one of the two possibilities i noted above.

a bacterial bloom is yet another possible scenario but they usually don't clear up that quickly. but the odor you noted tends to favor spawning or bacterial bloom imo.

just keep up with waterchanges and replacing the carbon and that should polish out the water if the issue is chemical or organic in nature. hth

Well to tell you the truth i have no idea what it was, all my parimeter are still at 0.

it is wierd because I dont use carbon ever I dont use any additives just plain tropic marin salt with a 1 gallon water change a week and everything was doing great to my knowledge, but there has be a significant drop in pods in my tank this past week I barley can find 1 on the rocks when just last week I would see hundreds all over the tank. but all said the water was clearing up on its own yesterday, i jsut decided the active carbon would help remove any impuritys and teh smell.

today the smell is gone and the water looks like it normally does polished, maybe your right maybe there was a spawn in my tank over the night. All i know is im glad i didnt lose anything, 1 of my corals is kinda flat looking and not as opened as usaual, but im glad things aregoing back to normal in the tank :D

Well to tell you the truth i have no idea what it was, all my parimeter are still at 0.

it is wierd because I dont use carbon ever I dont use any additives just plain tropic marin salt with a 1 gallon water change a week and everything was doing great to my knowledge, but there has be a significant drop in pods in my tank this past week I barley can find 1 on the rocks when just last week I would see hundreds all over the tank. but all said the water was clearing up on its own yesterday, i jsut decided the active carbon would help remove any impuritys and teh smell.

today the smell is gone and the water looks like it normally does polished, maybe your right maybe there was a spawn in my tank over the night. All i know is im glad i didnt lose anything, 1 of my corals is kinda flat looking and not as opened as usaual, but im glad things aregoing back to normal in the tank :D

spawn your mom

ILONA BLIAT

Archived